County's best Championship team of last 50 years

A forum to air your views on Offaly GAA matters and beyond.
Ahlethimoutwithit
All Star

Re: County's best Championship team of last 50 years

Post by Ahlethimoutwithit »

As you said yourself Townman, he played for a good while before 81 to 83 :wink: .

Bord na Mona man
All Star
Club: Clara

Post by Bord na Mona man »

King Kev wrote:Cluxton is without doubt the best keeper of the last 50 year's. The man has no weak points he's simply brought goalkeeping to another level . He'd make any team in any era . IMO that is.
A great keeper, yes, but not entirely perfect.
His temperament wouldn't be 100%. Remember him getting sent off vs. Armagh in 2004 for booting a fella off the ball.
His decision making isn't perfect either - in the 2007 All Ireland semi, he went on a misadventure upfield with the ball and turned it over to allow Kerry to seal the game.
His placed kick outs get praised, but when they go occasionally wrong, they tend to go badly wrong and gift a score to the opposition.

DAF
All Star

Post by DAF »

Bord na Mona man wrote:
King Kev wrote:Cluxton is without doubt the best keeper of the last 50 year's. The man has no weak points he's simply brought goalkeeping to another level . He'd make any team in any era . IMO that is.
A great keeper, yes, but not entirely perfect.
His temperament wouldn't be 100%. Remember him getting sent off vs. Armagh in 2004 for booting a fella off the ball.
His decision making isn't perfect either - in the 2007 All Ireland semi, he went on a misadventure upfield with the ball and turned it over to allow Kerry to seal the game.
His placed kick outs get praised, but when they go occasionally wrong, they tend to go badly wrong and gift a score to the opposition.

He hasnt had any slip ups since the Armagh incident so I would think he has lerned his lesson.Remeber he was young back then and I cant rember him losing his cool with any player apart from Jason McAteer since then.

Cluxton with his kickouts makes a rod for his own back, the worst footballer in Ireland could drive the ball down the middle to midfield like most keepers did, Cluxton in the last ten years has raised the standards of what is expected from goalkeepers.Before Cluxton almost every kickout was driven to midfield for a 50:50 contest cluxtons excellence at pinpoint kickouts to the wing have shown managers what an advantage a accurate as opposed to long kickouts are and since then most goalies are expected to be able to pick out players with short kickouts.

His freetaking is top notch aswell and is a great addition for Dublin who dodnt have a reliable left footed outfield player.He is definetly the best goalie of the modern era and I dont think there can be too many goalkeepers ahead of him from any other era

Ahlethimoutwithit
All Star

Post by Ahlethimoutwithit »

Imagine if Furlong was out today! He would have to tailor his game a little :roll:

kingscounty
All Star

Post by kingscounty »

In toadys independant the best footballers and hurlers in the country over the past 50 years. Football 1. John o Leary (DUB) 2. Enda Colleran (GALWAY)3. John o Keeffe (KERRY) 4.Robbie Kelleher (DUB) 5 .Tomas o Se (KERRY) 6. Kieran McGeeney (ARMAGH) 7. Seamus Moynihan (KERRY) 8. Jack o Shea (KERRY) 9. Brian Mullins (DUB) 10. Maurice Fitzgerald (KERRY) 11. Larry Tompkins (Cork) 12. Pat Spillane (KERRY) 13. Mikey Sheehy (KERRY) 14. Sean O Neill (DOWN) 15. Peter Canavan (TYRONE) . For me I wouldnt have McGeeney on the team , id put Moynihan centre back and Padi O Shea at number 7. Matt Connor would have to be in the forward line instead of Canavan for me. Interesting to note that on the both teams one leinster team represents in both with Dublin the only team representing on the football team and Kilkenny the only leinster team representing on the hurling team!! The hurling team picked was 1. Noel Skehan (Kilkenny) 2.John Doyle (TIPP) 3.Pat Hartigan (LIMERICK) 4.Ollie Canning (GALWAY) 5. Tommy Walsh (Kilkenny) 6. Seanie McMahon (CLARE) 7. JJ Delaney (Kilkenny) 8. Frank Cummins (Kilkenny) 9. John Fenton (CORK) 10. DJ Carey (Kilk) 11. Henry Shefflin (Kilk) 12. Eddie Keher (Kilk) 13. Eoin Kelly (TIPP) 14. Ray Cummins (CORK) 15. Eamonn Cregan (LIMERICK) . Once again only one leinster team represented , how Ollie Canning makes the team ahead of the likes of Jackie Tyrrell i dont know. Brian Whelahan misses out to Tommy Walsh , Kelly gets the nod at corner forward but i think Joe Deane or Eddie Brennan were better hurlers.

kinnittyman
All Star

Post by kinnittyman »

Give me Martin Hanamy every day of the week over Ollie Canning.

A large amount of these team selections are based on profile. Obviously Ollie Canning has a higher profile than Martin Hanamy or any other No.4 I can think of hence his selection. Not to say he wasn't a good hurler but the best No.4 of the last 50 years??

Not for me.

DAF
All Star

Post by DAF »

Sean O'Neill should be in the half forward line he was named there on the team of the millenium and the team of the century.Matt Connor should be full forward ahead of him.Tompkins or Fitzgerald shouldnt be on the team.Paidi O'Se was nominated by the indo as a corner back so he couldnt replace Mcgeeney or Moynihan.I definetly wouldnt drop McGeeney off the team he was a great player and a great leader.

The whole process of this selction was daft.Players were nominated out of position in alot of cases for example Jarlath Fallon was nominated as a corner forward despite being a half forward, so basically it was a completely pointless exercise and i wouldnt read too much into it.

townman
All Star

Post by townman »

Eammon Cregan corner forward, Ollie Canning and Seanie McMahon, John Fenton, they were the best in their poistions not a chance sure Cregan hurl in the backs with limerick win in

Fenton didn't make it till his late 20's he was a sub for years on the cork team, Eoin Kelly
wouldn't be a better forward than say Nicky English, Liam Fennelly, Cork's JBM or our own
Johnny Dooley .

Martin Hanamy, Frank Lohan, Jackie Tyrell, were better than Ollie Canning at Corner back.
even the goalman is a joke Damien fitzhenry, Brendan Cummins, Ger Cunningham, Damien Martin, Troy, were all better than Skehan who had a frying pan for a hurl in the goals.