Junior Football Championship

A forum to air your views on Offaly GAA matters and beyond.
Harps Man
Junior A

Re: Junior Football Championship

Post by Harps Man »

daingean did indeed scrape through after a stupid error by the harps to give daingean the winning point,i thought that there might have been a little more added time considering time wasting by daingean and the mellee about half way through the second half in which daingean were very lucky not to have a player sent off for stamping on a clonmore man's head,ref only gave a yellow even after been told by his own linesman that it was a stamp on the head.jimmy foy got injured after been takeing out of it early in the game,a real loss to clonmore considering he's clonmore's top score this year.
i can see daingean beating k/k in the semi,maybe they will finally get the co title that they and so many others seem to want them to get.

DAF
All Star

Post by DAF »

Harps Man wrote:daingean did indeed scrape through after a stupid error by the harps to give daingean the winning point,i thought that there might have been a little more added time considering time wasting by daingean and the mellee about half way through the second half in which daingean were very lucky not to have a player sent off for stamping on a clonmore man's head,ref only gave a yellow even after been told by his own linesman that it was a stamp on the head.jimmy foy got injured after been takeing out of it early in the game,a real loss to clonmore considering he's clonmore's top score this year.
i can see daingean beating k/k in the semi,maybe they will finally get the co title that they and so many others seem to want them to get.
K/K were a good bit better than Daingean in the group stages and if they dont get distracted by the hurling I think they would win again.Daingean player was lucky to stay on the field alright although Clonmores physio and one of their officials should have been sent off after they decided it was a good idea to shape up to one of Daingeans players in the same incident

Harps Man
Junior A

Post by Harps Man »

fair enough daf,they should'nt have squared up to him,but to try and compare that to being stamped on is ridiculous,clonmore physio is a woman in her 40's who would'nt touch a fly and she was big enough to call the daingean player (no 12 ithink) aside after the game and apoligise for the way she behaved,i did'nt see the same player doin that to the clonmore man that got stamped on.
from what i saw of k/k against edenderry the other night,daingean should beat them easily,k/k beat edenderry well but, in all honestly they were'nt any sort of oppisition,edenderry were wide open all over the field and made what is in my opinion an average k/k team look good.

just one thing daingean need to sort out if they are to push on, is their management,or 2 of them anyway,with about 5 min left in the game today it was plain for everyone on the stand side of the pitch to see 2 of them almost comeing to blows,roaring and shouting and at one point going shoulder to shoulder at each other like kids in the playground,not a nice thing for their players to see and they doing their best to win a game.

kingscounty
All Star

Post by kingscounty »

Harps Man wrote:fair enough daf,they should'nt have squared up to him,but to try and compare that to being stamped on is ridiculous,clonmore physio is a woman in her 40's who would'nt touch a fly and she was big enough to call the daingean player (no 12 ithink) aside after the game and apoligise for the way she behaved,i did'nt see the same player doin that to the clonmore man that got stamped on.
from what i saw of k/k against edenderry the other night,daingean should beat them easily,k/k beat edenderry well but, in all honestly they were'nt any sort of oppisition,edenderry were wide open all over the field and made what is in my opinion an average k/k team look good.

just one thing daingean need to sort out if they are to push on, is their management,or 2 of them anyway,with about 5 min left in the game today it was plain for everyone on the stand side of the pitch to see 2 of them almost comeing to blows,roaring and shouting and at one point going shoulder to shoulder at each other like kids in the playground,not a nice thing for their players to see and they doing their best to win a game.
after watcing k/k destroy edenderry the other night i would fancy them to beat daingean if the hurling doesnt take from them. clonmore beat edenderry by a point and edenderry only had 14 men ,k/k beat the reds by 19 points so i cant really see how you are dismissing k/k so easily!!

DAF
All Star

Post by DAF »

Harps Man wrote:fair enough daf,they should'nt have squared up to him,but to try and compare that to being stamped on is ridiculous,clonmore physio is a woman in her 40's who would'nt touch a fly and she was big enough to call the daingean player (no 12 ithink) aside after the game and apoligise for the way she behaved,i did'nt see the same player doin that to the clonmore man that got stamped on.

He should have been sent off but as far as I am concerned the players can beat the heads off each other and nobody else should get involved and the ref can sort things out.Alot of these mass brawls at club matches come about due to people who aren't on the field of play getting involved when they shouldn't and people need to restrain themselves.

SearingDrive
All Star

Post by SearingDrive »

DAF wrote:Semi Final Draw

Kilcormac/Killoughey vs Daingean/Clonmore Harps
Clara/Ferbane vs Tullamore

I think the remaining clubs may be hoping K/K progress in the hurling and it distracts them from the football because apart from that I would say they will win the championship .The hurlers must have been allowed to play football this year because last years when they played Daingean they looked like they hadn't seen a football in months
All the semi finalists are from group 2 as predicted by another poster. Tullamore had a good 2-14 to 0-8 win over Killeigh, on Friday night. Killeigh will be disappointed with their display after topping their group.

masgod
Junior C
Club: kk

Post by masgod »

now with kk through to the final of senior hurling is this now making a joke of friday nights semi final with Daingean? Surely now it is the hurling and hurling alone that k/k want and will hardly put out a team against Daingean?is this not very unfair on the teams from the other semi-final?

DAF
All Star

Post by DAF »

masgod wrote:now with kk through to the final of senior hurling is this now making a joke of friday nights semi final with Daingean? Surely now it is the hurling and hurling alone that k/k want and will hardly put out a team against Daingean?is this not very unfair on the teams from the other semi-final?

The last year they were in the hurling final they got to the Junior football final aswell and should have won it.Dan Currams missed an easy goal chance from about 2 yards.I wouldnt write them off.

Where is the match on Friday and what time?

Ahlethimoutwithit
All Star

Post by Ahlethimoutwithit »

Welcome Masgod, but more "if's" in your post that a case of Jif.

Who knows what team will turn up for KK, the last day they played Daingean in the championship they turned up without Currams, Mahon and young Jordan Quinn, so they cant be much worse off. Anyway, tis their choice how they treat it, they have earned that right. Truth be known anyway that if they did put in a reasonable effort, they would be holding their own in the Intermediate.

masgod
Junior C
Club: kk

Post by masgod »

yeah it,s a fair point and i hope they do (for the sake of the competition) turn out their best team. Have seen them twice this year and think they are a fine team and could hold their own with some senior teams never mind intermedite. I think this year after all I,ve seen across senior inter and junior, that the junior is probably the best competition for excitement and closely matched team of all grades and it would be great to see it finish with the two best teams in the final and i think thats k/k and Tullamore

DAF
All Star

Post by DAF »

Kilcormac/Killoughey 0-14 Daingean 0-06

K/K were excellent.They are incredibly,fit and strong and the dominated all the breaking balls and the Healions dominated in midfield.Dan Currams had an outstanding game.There football is a good deal sharper this year than it was last year.Also the fella who kicks the frees from the ground is a beautiful striker of the ball.Its hard to see them being beaten now

Ahlethimoutwithit
All Star

Post by Ahlethimoutwithit »

Daingean are down for a while after this, shockin display, especially in 2nd half. 1 pt in the half and that from a sub!
Young lads not coming through and a real concern with only 1 minor on the Vincents team, and team really struggle against physical sides.

On the other hand as DAF said , KK were excellent and are fit and work hard. Conor Mahon did not play tonight? either, whats the story with him?
Some very good players and they will be hard stopped!

The Double K
Junior B
Club: KIlcormac/Killoughey

Post by The Double K »

Conor Mahon is not playing football this year. Its a pity because he would be a huge asset and it would get him fitter for the hurling as well, as he tends to struggle as the game goes on.

boomcha

Post by boomcha »

ciaranr slevin takes the frees has he does is the hurling and mahon hasnt played all year and probably wont now unless he wants a chance of a medal(or to win two in the one year)
Last edited by boomcha on Sat Sep 22, 2012 10:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Abercrombie Fitch
County player

Post by Abercrombie Fitch »

Just for anybody living away from Ireland, its Clara v Kilcormac/Killoughey in the Junior A Final and I suspect Clara won't be going in to OCP to present KK with their medals.

A Clara footballer would have it bred in to him that he should be beating KK in football, just as it would be the other way round in hurling. That can count for a lot on county final day when the going gets tough.