Offaly vs Cork - SHC Qualifier Rnd 2 07/07/2012

A forum to air your views on Offaly GAA matters and beyond.
old yellar
All Star

Re: Offaly vs Cork - SHC Qualifier Rnd 2 07/07/2012

Post by old yellar »

did sean ryan not score 1 3 last week for birr v rathnure down in wexford park?

Over The Black Spot
County player

Post by Over The Black Spot »

old yellar wrote:did sean ryan not score 1 3 last week for birr v rathnure down in wexford park?
He could have had yellar and to be fair, is a regular enough scorer for Birr at club level. At inter-county level when the pace quickens however, he doesn't get the time he needs as he wouldn't be the most natural of forwards and needs a bit more space than say the likes of Dooley or Bergin. I would be perfectly happy to see him midfield as he's a great worker and ball winner and a very direct runner who can get half-back lines turned. In fact, his partnership with Brendan Murphy a few years ago looked like solving issues we had around midfield but, with injuries and football commitments hampering both players, never came to fruition.

townman
All Star

Post by townman »

the best game i seen Sean Ryan hurl in let it be Birr or offaly was a few years ago again tipp in thurles he was midfield and had a blinder there
its a mystery why Birr play him corner forward over the last few years even him been took off in games , when we struggle in midfield.

Ryan needs space and room to used his pace and power and run on to the ball, himself and Hanniffy or Connor Mahon would make a good midfield pair
for the county he is hardy buck to and would mix it with the best.

Toxicity234
All Star

Post by Toxicity234 »

I having being on- line in a few weeks, My Office is getting moved from Dublin to Tullamore, But would you believe I’m not getting moved. :(

For Offaly to have a chance on Saturday. I think there one thing that would have to happen.
It’s a very simple thing.

Ollie Baker must miss the Bus!

1. You would expect as the year went on and he would have got to know the players and there strength and weakness better, that team selection would get more consistent. But that has not being the case. This helps the players as well because if you have the same player around you have a good idea of what there going to do. If he start this team on Saturday. Its will mean That Herron and Ryan will start in a position that they haven’t played all year.

2. Dropping Franks, Demspey and Parlon. Now where to start with this. The main reason we lost to Galway was that our manager didn’t learn from the Clare League game. Or maybe he thought that no-one from Galway Hurling came to watch that game. But in that game we played most of the game against 14 men and we end up in the second half watching David Kenny on his own against one of the Clare forward. If Wexford had a better manager they would have done the same thing. So Dropping Franks, Demspey and Parlon will make no difference if we don’t address the issue of how to stop the full back getting isolated. Maybe Baker hopes that everyone in Cork Hurling was in the pub and forgot to record the Offaly/Galway game. If you want to play Kenny at full back you need a centre back that will protect him. Rory a great hurler who sweep breaking ball but he is not a stopper.

3. Mahon and Carroll. Now I don’t blame the players for what happen against Galway. Our tactics were so off the wall that they would have to play out of there skins to win that game. For me if I was going to change any in the team it would be these two players. Carroll is one of the most talented hurler in the county but the man wouldn’t work to save his life. Now I know Shane Dooley is Lazy as well and you can only carry one Lazy player in the team so Carroll got to go. The sad thing is that Carroll is going to wake up one day and realise that his hurling carrier is over and he wasted it. As for Mahon well he is the other end of the scale. He works hard on and off the field but he’s just not an inter-county hurler. I feel sorry for the lad but 3 years on for when I first saw him he still can’t use his weak side and for a big lad he don’t exposes himself on the game and the other players.

4. The Ollie Baker Management Team Doomsday plan. Every team need a Plan B or C. Ollie Baker can’t find Plan A that works at the moment (I remember that someone here had a signature Pat Roe think tactics come in two forms Green and Orange, Ollie Baker Think they only come in white) If you go to the Galway game we were back within 5 points with 5 mins to half time. You think at this stage the Manager would be look at his defense and going O.K. were back in this let get someone back there to help the full back. Now off the top on my head I can think of 3 different ways of doing this, Telling Rory to drop back and have the midfield pick up the Centre. Tell the Corner Back to stay back or drop one of the midfielder behind the centre back. Any of these would have stopped the 4 goal and Offaly would have still just being in the game at half time.

Now enough about our manager and his lack of Tactics and back to the game:

The Team has lots of skill. I while I don’t see why Dempsey was dropped but Kelly a great goal and won’t let anyone down and also best of luck to him on his 1st day out.

Herron, Kenny and Rigney are all good hurlers but not the biggest so you have to worry about this line up against tall Cork forward.

Morkan, Hanniffy and Horan . It’s our best line.

Ryan and Brady. Now if Brady is asking to do what he has being in the last few games its pointless having him there. If Baker use him as a holding player he can be a big asset to the team. Ryan can cause Mayhem going forward from midfield but he has to release the ball at the right time and not running down blind alley.

Egan, Mahon and Murphy . Well Egan going to have to win an lot of ball for Offaly.

Dooley, Bergin and Carroll. Now I have my problem with Dooley but he get score’s and has to be watched. Bergin need good ball and we need a big game from him.

I have a big fear that if we start with our normal tactics Cork could score as many goals as they did against Laois last year.

I always believe that Offaly Hurling went to Hogwarts and that we can do Magic. We’re going to need all our Magic to get out Cork with a Win.

Turenne
Junior A

Post by Turenne »

The Cork Senior Hurling team to play Offaly in the All-Ireland SHC Qualifier on Saturday at 7pm in Páirc Uí Chaoimh will line out as follows:

1. Anthony Nash
Kanturk

2. Shane O Neill 3. Brian Murphy 4. Conor O'Sullivan
Bishopstown Bride Rovers Sarsfields

5. Tom Kenny 6. Christopher Joyce 7. William Egan
Grenagh Na Piarsaigh Kilbrin

8. Darren Sweetnam 9. Lorcán McLoughlin
Dohenys Kanturk
10. Conor Lehane 11. Cian McCarthy 12. Pa Cronin
Midleton Sarsfields Bishopstown

13. Jamie Coughlan 14. Paudie O'Sullivan 15. Patrick Horgan
Newtownshandrum Cloyne Glen Rovers

Subs:

16. Darren McCarthy Ballymartle
17. Stephen Mc Donnell Glen Rovers
18. Damien Cahalane St. Finbarrs
19. Kilian Murphy Erin's Own
20. Eoin Cadogan Douglas
21. Daniel Kearney Sarsfields
22. Seán Óg Ó hAilpín Na Piarsaigh
23. John Gardiner Na Piarsaigh
24. Cathal Naughton Newtownshandrum
25. Luke O'Farrell Midleton
26. Stephen Moylan Douglas

Jimmy Barry-Murphy's selection for Saturday shows two changes from the team which lost out narrowly to Tipperary in the Munster Semi-Final, with Christopher Joyce making his Championship début at centre back in place of Eoin Cadogan. Cian McCarthy replaces Cathal Naughton, taking up the centre-forward berth, while Pa Cronin moves to the wing.

townman
All Star

Post by townman »

Toxicity234 wrote:I having being on- line in a few weeks, My Office is getting moved from Dublin to Tullamore, But would you believe I’m not getting moved. :(

For Offaly to have a chance on Saturday. I think there one thing that would have to happen.
It’s a very simple thing.

Ollie Baker must miss the Bus!

1. You would expect as the year went on and he would have got to know the players and there strength and weakness better, that team selection would get more consistent. But that has not being the case. This helps the players as well because if you have the same player around you have a good idea of what there going to do. If he start this team on Saturday. Its will mean That Herron and Ryan will start in a position that they haven’t played all year.

2. Dropping Franks, Demspey and Parlon. Now where to start with this. The main reason we lost to Galway was that our manager didn’t learn from the Clare League game. Or maybe he thought that no-one from Galway Hurling came to watch that game. But in that game we played most of the game against 14 men and we end up in the second half watching David Kenny on his own against one of the Clare forward. If Wexford had a better manager they would have done the same thing. So Dropping Franks, Demspey and Parlon will make no difference if we don’t address the issue of how to stop the full back getting isolated. Maybe Baker hopes that everyone in Cork Hurling was in the pub and forgot to record the Offaly/Galway game. If you want to play Kenny at full back you need a centre back that will protect him. Rory a great hurler who sweep breaking ball but he is not a stopper.

3. Mahon and Carroll. Now I don’t blame the players for what happen against Galway. Our tactics were so off the wall that they would have to play out of there skins to win that game. For me if I was going to change any in the team it would be these two players. Carroll is one of the most talented hurler in the county but the man wouldn’t work to save his life. Now I know Shane Dooley is Lazy as well and you can only carry one Lazy player in the team so Carroll got to go. The sad thing is that Carroll is going to wake up one day and realise that his hurling carrier is over and he wasted it. As for Mahon well he is the other end of the scale. He works hard on and off the field but he’s just not an inter-county hurler. I feel sorry for the lad but 3 years on for when I first saw him he still can’t use his weak side and for a big lad he don’t exposes himself on the game and the other players.

4. The Ollie Baker Management Team Doomsday plan. Every team need a Plan B or C. Ollie Baker can’t find Plan A that works at the moment (I remember that someone here had a signature Pat Roe think tactics come in two forms Green and Orange, Ollie Baker Think they only come in white) If you go to the Galway game we were back within 5 points with 5 mins to half time. You think at this stage the Manager would be look at his defense and going O.K. were back in this let get someone back there to help the full back. Now off the top on my head I can think of 3 different ways of doing this, Telling Rory to drop back and have the midfield pick up the Centre. Tell the Corner Back to stay back or drop one of the midfielder behind the centre back. Any of these would have stopped the 4 goal and Offaly would have still just being in the game at half time.

Now enough about our manager and his lack of Tactics and back to the game:

The Team has lots of skill. I while I don’t see why Dempsey was dropped but Kelly a great goal and won’t let anyone down and also best of luck to him on his 1st day out.

Herron, Kenny and Rigney are all good hurlers but not the biggest so you have to worry about this line up against tall Cork forward.

Morkan, Hanniffy and Horan . It’s our best line.

Ryan and Brady. Now if Brady is asking to do what he has being in the last few games its pointless having him there. If Baker use him as a holding player he can be a big asset to the team. Ryan can cause Mayhem going forward from midfield but he has to release the ball at the right time and not running down blind alley.

Egan, Mahon and Murphy . Well Egan going to have to win an lot of ball for Offaly.

Dooley, Bergin and Carroll. Now I have my problem with Dooley but he get score’s and has to be watched. Bergin need good ball and we need a big game from him.

I have a big fear that if we start with our normal tactics Cork could score as many goals as they did against Laois last year.

I always believe that Offaly Hurling went to Hogwarts and that we can do Magic. We’re going to need all our Magic to get out Cork with a Win.

Dooley lazy and you have problems with him never heard as much bullshite in my life, Dooley would be the only top class hurler we have
when is Joe Bergin and Brian Carroll have a good game in the championship.

as poor as we are i wouldn't like to think how bad we would be without Dooley :oops:

kinnittyman
All Star

Post by kinnittyman »

Bluesky, you've never heard as much bullshit in your life, have you not?? Obviously you can't hear yourself talk so.

Toxic City is spot on. Shane Dooley is an exceptionally talented hurler who when in possession is incredibly accurate but he has a lazy streak to his game. Just look at his workrate off the ball when the defence get the ball. His efforts at tackling are lamentable to be honest. Compare his workrate in this department to the likes of Colin Fennelly and you might actually see that Toxic City has just made a very valid point.

townman
All Star

Post by townman »

Dooley has been the best hurler offaly have this year his goals again wexford and galway and his points from play in both games.
what the fcuk do you want Dooley to do puck the ball out as well as winning it and score as well.

what the hell has Joe Bergin done this year he went around with his hands on his hips again galway, went for a few balls when we were 15 points down
Carroll and Murphy the same, fcuking hell Dooley won his own ball for most of his scores in both games.

why doesn't yourself and toxic city run down the rest of the forward line, even everyone from outside the county say the only class hurler we have is Dooley
no sure we run him down, we might not beat cork on saturday but i tell you there there is not a offaly forward that will score more than Dooley after.

as for his workrate to Colin fennelly he is in a team of allstars wheres Dooley is on his own.

Toxicity234
All Star

Post by Toxicity234 »

Its wasn't mean to take away from how good Shane Dooley is. My point was that having Dooley and Carroll in the one Forward Line is madness.

This should not takeaway from how good Dooley is and how important he is to us. Every player has thing they can improve on.

Dooley has a bad habit of letting his man get out ahead of him and not pressuring his man.
This happens in Both Club and County games and something he can improve on.

Dooley one of the best forward in the country and on Saturday he be our best forward again and he be the first name on my forward line.
“Common sense is not so common.”

Daleamar
County player

Post by Daleamar »

Toxicity234 wrote:Its wasn't mean to take away from how good Shane Dooley is. My point was that having Dooley and Carroll in the one Forward Line is madness.

This should not takeaway from how good Dooley is and how important he is to us. Every player has thing they can improve on.

Dooley has a bad habit of letting his man get out ahead of him and not pressuring his man.
This happens in Both Club and County games and something he can improve on.

Dooley one of the best forward in the country and on Saturday he be our best forward again and he be the first name on my forward line.
To comment on Shane Dooleys work rate is ludacris. You dont want your best forwards having to work too hard. Thats why you put donkeys in around them.

As for letting his man get out in front. He take the chance when a player has the ball in space that that player will puck it on top of his head, and when an inter county players inabilty to puck a ball 60 metres while in space shows up (like many of the offaly players over the last few years), it makes any full forward look bad. Thats the way he plays and has done since iv seen him play schools. thats why he scores so many goals. Dooley has always gets a lot of stick, probably because of his father and uncles. However with an act to follow of 3 all-ireland winners he has done it immensley and all those that criticise Dooley should really take a look at themselves.

As for Brian Carroll, he must be doing something right in training as he seems to always get picked with little or no return in big games.

Plain of the Herbs
All Star
Club: Lusmagh

Post by Plain of the Herbs »

There comes a time in every emerging team when they play the match they absolutely MUST win. For instance, the Minors and U21s of 2000 grew up (as Minors and U21s do) and 2006 came. Offaly HAD to beat Limerick in Tullamore in 2006 – for various reasons – but flopped and many of those were gone within two years.

It could be reasonably argued that the current team faced their ‘match that had to be won’ last month when they faced Galway. Various reasons, among them that the team was together for four or five years and that there would never again be as convenient a direct route to the All-Ireland quarter-finals.

Hard to know what made the flop against Galway the more galling? That they lost to neighbours who themselves were going nowhere. That the team had reached the end of the line with nothing to take over (different to 2006 when Joseph Bergin was in his debut season). That they were beating top-ten opposition at a rate of once every four years and had beaten Wexford a fortnight previous. That the defence was ripped apart with some bog-standard forward-movement.

Rarely does it happen that a shot at redemption comes along so quickly again. Or ever. But it has. Because I happen to think there is a big performance in Offaly in Cork on Saturday.

Crazy stuff, I know. I was in despair after the Galway match and was still sceptical earlier this week. But a few things have conspired to suit Offaly.

First is Cork’s attitude. Their supporters have argued for the last fortnight as to how their team should line out for the remainder of the year. Some have gone so far as to express regret that they didn’t draw Dublin in this round as Dublin would have given them a sterner test. They don’t seriously think Offaly are going to seriously challenge Cork. Now obviously the Cork team will themselves be advising against complacency. But the cocky (or cautious, as the case may be) attitude of supporters has a habit of getting through to the players, no matter how hard they try to shut it out.

That’s all very well, but Offaly still have to get their own act together. I think they will. The team will show three changes and maybe more, as OTBS surmised earlier in the week. This tells me that Offaly are facing this game as a new game in its own right. I mean they are not going down to play the Galway match again. And nor are they going down to play last year’s Cork match again.

Obviously Offaly can’t afford to have the full-back obligingly tapping the ball down for the opposition full-forward to gather and score. My guess is he won’t. Nor can they have a wing-back playing his man from the front and ‘waving’ at the ball as it whizzed over his head for the grateful wing-forward to race onto and score unopposed. My guess is that there won’t. A hungry Offaly will get to the ball first, draw their frees and let Dooley tap them over. The only thing that will hamper Offaly would be an early Cork goal.

Offaly's playing a round of the domestic championship will have been a welcome distraction too. It let players get the Galway thing out of their system. That most countymen hurled badly that weekend is not such a bad thing either.

Playing away from home will suit Offaly too. Playing at home brings too much of the wrong type of pressure that Offaly have never handled well. Playing away will bring an edge to their game. And Páirc Uí Chaoimh will be no cauldron. It wasn’t last year, and with Saturday promised wet, the front ten rows of seats will be unoccupied. Many Cork supporters won’t go – they’re gearing up to play Limerick or Wexford next week, and Galway or Waterford a fortnight later before taking on Kilkenny in the All-Ireland semi-final. Their attitude is that they’re just playing another bunch of suckers from Leinster – Wexford, Offaly, Laois, it’s all the same to them and not worth €20.

Now, maybe Cork are genuine All-Ireland contenders and in that case they are out of Offaly’s reach. But Offaly need to rattle the tree hard to make the fruit fall. They’ve one more chance to save Offaly hurling.

They need to tear down the feckin’ tree on Saturday.

And as that girleen on the radio sings – if this is crazy then call me, maybe!
Pat Donegan. Signed out of respect for players and all involved with Offaly.

Turenne
Junior A

Post by Turenne »

Plain of the Herbs wrote:There comes a time in every emerging team when they play the match they absolutely MUST win. For instance, the Minors and U21s of 2000 grew up (as Minors and U21s do) and 2006 came. Offaly HAD to beat Limerick in Tullamore in 2006 – for various reasons – but flopped and many of those were gone within two years.

It could be reasonably argued that the current team faced their ‘match that had to be won’ last month when they faced Galway. Various reasons, among them that the team was together for four or five years and that there would never again be as convenient a direct route to the All-Ireland quarter-finals.

Hard to know what made the flop against Galway the more galling? That they lost to neighbours who themselves were going nowhere. That the team had reached the end of the line with nothing to take over (different to 2006 when Joseph Bergin was in his debut season). That they were beating top-ten opposition at a rate of once every four years and had beaten Wexford a fortnight previous. That the defence was ripped apart with some bog-standard forward-movement.

Rarely does it happen that a shot at redemption comes along so quickly again. Or ever. But it has. Because I happen to think there is a big performance in Offaly in Cork on Saturday.

Crazy stuff, I know. I was in despair after the Galway match and was still sceptical earlier this week. But a few things have conspired to suit Offaly.

First is Cork’s attitude. Their supporters have argued for the last fortnight as to how their team should line out for the remainder of the year. Some have gone so far as to express regret that they didn’t draw Dublin in this round as Dublin would have given them a sterner test. They don’t seriously think Offaly are going to seriously challenge Cork. Now obviously the Cork team will themselves be advising against complacency. But the cocky (or cautious, as the case may be) attitude of supporters has a habit of getting through to the players, no matter how hard they try to shut it out.

That’s all very well, but Offaly still have to get their own act together. I think they will. The team will show three changes and maybe more, as OTBS surmised earlier in the week. This tells me that Offaly are facing this game as a new game in its own right. I mean they are not going down to play the Galway match again. And nor are they going down to play last year’s Cork match again.

Obviously Offaly can’t afford to have the full-back obligingly tapping the ball down for the opposition full-forward to gather and score. My guess is he won’t. Nor can they have a wing-back playing his man from the front and ‘waving’ at the ball as it whizzed over his head for the grateful wing-forward to race onto and score unopposed. My guess is that there won’t. A hungry Offaly will get to the ball first, draw their frees and let Dooley tap them over. The only thing that will hamper Offaly would be an early Cork goal.

Offaly's playing a round of the domestic championship will have been a welcome distraction too. It let players get the Galway thing out of their system. That most countymen hurled badly that weekend is not such a bad thing either.

Playing away from home will suit Offaly too. Playing at home brings too much of the wrong type of pressure that Offaly have never handled well. Playing away will bring an edge to their game. And Páirc Uí Chaoimh will be no cauldron. It wasn’t last year, and with Saturday promised wet, the front ten rows of seats will be unoccupied. Many Cork supporters won’t go – they’re gearing up to play Limerick or Wexford next week, and Galway or Waterford a fortnight later before taking on Kilkenny in the All-Ireland semi-final. Their attitude is that they’re just playing another bunch of suckers from Leinster – Wexford, Offaly, Laois, it’s all the same to them and not worth €20.

Now, maybe Cork are genuine All-Ireland contenders and in that case they are out of Offaly’s reach. But Offaly need to rattle the tree hard to make the fruit fall. They’ve one more chance to save Offaly hurling.

Good post, and I agree, I expect this to be very very close.

Plain of the Herbs
All Star
Club: Lusmagh

Post by Plain of the Herbs »

Nearly forgot. My congratulations and best wishes to Eoin who becomes Lusmagh's ninth countyman on Saturday.
Pat Donegan. Signed out of respect for players and all involved with Offaly.

bracknaghboy
All Star

Post by bracknaghboy »

Plain of the Herbs wrote:There comes a time in every emerging team when they play the match they absolutely MUST win. For instance, the Minors and U21s of 2000 grew up (as Minors and U21s do) and 2006 came. Offaly HAD to beat Limerick in Tullamore in 2006 – for various reasons – but flopped and many of those were gone within two years.

Herbs have you been smokin the wacky tobacky again?

kinnittyman
All Star

Post by kinnittyman »

Plain of the Herbs wrote:Nearly forgot. My congratulations and best wishes to Eoin who becomes Lusmagh's ninth countyman on Saturday.
Jim Troy
John Troy
Aidan Hanrahan
Pat Temple
Joachim Kelly
Brendan Bermingham
??
??