Offaly versus Kildare 16th June 2012

A forum to air your views on Offaly GAA matters and beyond.
heman
Junior A

Re: Offaly versus Kildare 16th June 2012

Post by heman »

yes nialler played u21 v westmeath in 03

westender
Junior A
Club: n/a

Post by westender »

Give Tom Time,
I'm sure after yesterdays performance a lot of people were suprised by the first 20min football offaly played.
If this what tom can acheive in weeks, i'm looking forward to the next few years providing he stays, and all the players get behind him,
Good to see alot of players from previous years also helping out,
Best of luck to tom and boys in the future.

townman
All Star

Post by townman »

yes give the man a 3 year term and leave him at the job, win lose or draw give him time, bring on the young lads they will be playing division 4
football next year bed them in there and work getting into division 3 and so on.

look at McGeeney first year beaten by wicklow in croker look at them now they are in the top 5 in ireland now thats because he was let work on a panel
we beat meath and kildare this year in under 21 so thats something to work on along with getting a few more players that should be in an offaly jersey
out there to.

Bord na Mona man
All Star
Club: Clara

Post by Bord na Mona man »

Very disappointing to hear the Ross Brady was bitten on the chest by Robbie Kelly of Kildare in that tussle they had on the ground.
Ross was clearly livid after the incident and he when showed the referee the marks, the ref called back Kelly and yellow carded him.
I saw on Shane Lowry's twitter that he was talking to Ross this morning and the bite marks were still there.

Some of Kildare's theatrics in hitting the deck at the slightest touch yesterday was annoying, but this sort of stuff is way over the line.

Plain of the Herbs
All Star
Club: Lusmagh

Post by Plain of the Herbs »

It was evident from Brady's immediate reaction that something out-of-the-ordinary had occurred. This is surely unprecedented. Tussling like that on the ground goes on all the time (which I admit doesn't make it right), but biting an opponent like that is reprehensible.

And I'd say that if an Offaly player was the perpetrator. Still, an issue needs to be made of this before it becomes a habit.
Bord na Mona man wrote:Very disappointing to hear the Ross Brady was bitten on the chest by Robbie Kelly of Kildare in that tussle they had on the ground.
Ross was clearly livid after the incident and he when showed the referee the marks, the ref called back Kelly and yellow carded him.
I saw on Shane Lowry's twitter that he was talking to Ross this morning and the bite marks were still there.

Some of Kildare's theatrics in hitting the deck at the slightest touch yesterday was annoying, but this sort of stuff is way over the line.
Pat Donegan. Signed out of respect for players and all involved with Offaly.

Plain of the Herbs
All Star

Spot yourself in O'Moore Park yesterday

The Offaly folk are the ones with their hands to their faces . . .
http://tag.huggity.com/fanpic/020-2012-leinster-gaa/

Bord na Mona man
All Star

Re: Spot yourself in O'Moore Park yesterday

Plain of the Herbs wrote:The Offaly folk are the ones with their hands to their faces . . .
I can get another look at that very plummy member of the Kildare gentry with the sleeveless jumper.

Plain of the Herbs
All Star

Re: Spot yourself in O'Moore Park yesterday

Just to point out the context of this, Offaly had just taken a 0-3 to 0-1 lead and as we chanted "Oo-fawl-yah, oo-fawl-yah" in celebration, 'very plummy member of the Kildare gentry with the sleeveless jumper' turned to our general direction and remarked "Oh, class will out".

Just as it will when his favourites crash-land in August!!
Bord na Mona man wrote:
Plain of the Herbs wrote:The Offaly folk are the ones with their hands to their faces . . .
I can get another look at that very plummy member of the Kildare gentry with the sleeveless jumper.

llkj
All Star

Post by llkj »

These photos are great. What is going on with Ken Casey and the Kildare corner back - it looks like he is keeping himself busy while the ball is down the other end. I hear these Kildare boys are mad for the gym, but surely they could take a break from weights session to play a championship match. That's commitment for you!

atomic
Junior A

Post by atomic »

The Kildare lads are mad for the gym but our lads are mad for the pints!

Lone Shark
All Star
Club: Ferbane

Post by Lone Shark »

Plain of the Herbs wrote:It was evident from Brady's immediate reaction that something out-of-the-ordinary had occurred. This is surely unprecedented. Tussling like that on the ground goes on all the time (which I admit doesn't make it right), but biting an opponent like that is reprehensible.

And I'd say that if an Offaly player was the perpetrator. Still, an issue needs to be made of this before it becomes a habit.
Bord na Mona man wrote:Very disappointing to hear the Ross Brady was bitten on the chest by Robbie Kelly of Kildare in that tussle they had on the ground.

This is ridiculous stuff, animalistic carry on. I've nothing but admiration for the way that Kildare have built themselves up into an All Ireland contending team from a middling to low base, and of course it takes very driven individuals to do that. However civilised human beings have some idea where the line is and if they do cross it, they'll apologise. Even then, it won't be so far across the line as this.

An act like this is nothing to do with Kildare the county, or anything like it. This is purely about the perpetrator, who clearly is mentally unbalanced and should not be let near a field of play again until a full psychiatric evaluation. That might sound ridiculous, and no doubt there will be Kildare people that will take this quote and make a mockery of it, but I don't care - that's not normal human behaviour and I wouldn't want to be on the same team as someone who'd be capable of that, much less on the opposition. And this is from a game where Kildare were never under pressure? What would a sick individual like this do if it was in a Leinster final against Dublin with the game on the line and he had a chance to injure a key Dublin player?

As for the referee, I presume anything short of full on maiming would not be worthy of a straight red. There's so much wrong with this you don't know where to begin.
Kevin Egan. Signed out of respect for players and all involved with Offaly.

Bord na Mona man
All Star

I'm sure nothing will come of the incident, unless of course the Sunday Game had footage and wanted to highlight it. Though if it was Paul Galvin...
Anyway, if there was a follow up, all protagonists should at least be allowed to explain what happened.
If there was a bizarre explanation from Kelly (yeah I know), he should be given due process.

The referee is in a difficult position though. When you see the teeth marks, what do you do?
Logically, yes, you could conclude that it wasn't Ross Brady's dog that bit him.
But should a referee red card someone going on the testimony of an opponent? I'm being facetious, but what if a player bit his own arm for example and then ran over to the ref and claimed his marker did it?

Bad business all the same. That makes 2 players from Straffan that I wouldn’t like to see being part of a Kildare breakthrough.

GOOFY
County player

Post by GOOFY »

Scandalous behaviour from the Kildare player, but just out of curiosity has anyone else had any experience of this happening before? I seen a guy doing it one time a few years ago and he wasnt punished, and hes still playing senior club football in Offaly.

In fairness to Ross Brady he did well to hold his head, but he should heve knocked every tooth out of the lads mouth. He'd be well able :evil:
First ball is when you make your mark

Lone Shark
All Star
Club: Ferbane

Post by Lone Shark »

Bord na Mona man wrote:I'm sure nothing will come of the incident, unless of course the Sunday Game had footage and wanted to highlight it. Though if it was Paul Galvin...
Anyway, if there was a follow up, all protagonists should at least be allowed to explain what happened.
If there was a bizarre explanation from Kelly (yeah I know), he should be given due process.

The referee is in a difficult position though. When you see the teeth marks, what do you do?
As you've pointed out, I could forgive the referee doing nothing, on thee basis that he hasn't seen anything and cannot judge by a scar alone. Admittedly biting yourself on the chest to get an opponent sent off would require some incredible flexibility around the neck, but even so. However the fact that he gave a yellow card suggests to me that he saw something that was corroborated by the marks. Either way, either it's innocent until proven guilty and he let him off, or it's red card and a scathing mention in the report with a long ban to follow. Yellow card is balls.
GOOFY wrote:Scandalous behaviour from the Kildare player, but just out of curiosity has anyone else had any experience of this happening before? I seen a guy doing it one time a few years ago and he wasnt punished, and hes still playing senior club football in Offaly.

In fairness to Ross Brady he did well to hold his head, but he should heve knocked every tooth out of the lads mouth. He'd be well able :evil:
I've never seen it on a football field, though it happened me playing soccer in Dublin once, hence my very strong reaction. The bite came from behind and broke the skin of the top of my head and I had to get a tetanus shot afterwards. Unlike Ross however, I didn't hold it together afterwards. It remains the only time I was ever sent off playing any sport, and I've no regrets about it either. Needless to say my admiration for Ross in that situation is huge because of that.
Kevin Egan. Signed out of respect for players and all involved with Offaly.

GOOFY
County player

Post by GOOFY »

Heard Kildare defender Robbie Kelly's dog bit him once - the dog had to get a tetanus injection afterwards :D
First ball is when you make your mark