Return of the Mac ?

A forum to air your views on Offaly GAA matters and beyond.
llkj
All Star

Re: Return of the Mac ?

Post by llkj »

llkj's argument is spot on!
That is one of the most sensible posts on here in years. Well done to Ahlethimoutwithit!
I'd bet steaks to sandwiches
There you go again LS, with your betting addiction... You just can't help yourself and are corrupting a nation :D Not to mention, costing yourself a fortune in Steaks :D

Lone Shark
All Star
Club: Ferbane

Post by Lone Shark »

I'd bet steaks to sandwiches
There you go again LS, with your betting addiction... You just can't help yourself and are corrupting a nation :D Not to mention, costing yourself a fortune in Steaks :D
Safest bet ever, those striploins are staying secure in my fridge until the butter hits the pan!
Kevin Egan. Signed out of respect for players and all involved with Offaly.

DAF
All Star

Post by DAF »

Bord na Mona man wrote:While McManus played a lot of career in midfield, but he was a never a notable high ball fielder.
The big full forwards who cause trouble are generally either big beanstalks or big tanks.

I remember a few years ago McManus was picked for Offaly to start at full forward, I can't remember the match, but it was a league game in Tellamore.
For about 25 minutes any high balls towards him were sliced and misdirected and any of the usual low balls were cut out by the full back line. He was quickly moved out the field to his normal position.
If it was ever going to work, I'm guessing it would have needed 4 or 5 games to properly bed in.

When Offaly played Kildare in January and Alan Mulhall was nominally the full forward target. What we got were high diagonal balls on top of William Mulhall who was corner forward. We got it half right at least!
No high ball actually made it to Alan above chest height. The ones that were actually directed towards him dropped about 15 metres short. The Kildare spare man, spent the day mopping these up and running up the field starting attacks.

I feel that even if we did find the right man for the role, I'm sure not the team could properly execute it.

In the second half of the game against Westmeath in the league last year out of pure exhaustion Offaly decided to just hit the ball long into the full forward line and we caused huge trouble for Westmeath.We have one of the best fielding full/corner forwards in Ireland in Niall McNamee yet that was one of the few times in recent years we consistently used his fielding ability to great effect.Unfortunately Niall cant play against kildare.I woudlnt be expecting a Kieran Donaghy type performance from McManus just basically for him to stand in the small square and have balls floated in that he could break or force the full back to break and we work off those .It would atleast mean we could get the ball into the scoring zone.It is going to be very difficult for Offaly to play through Kildare in the way we all would like i.e good footpassing and support play.

With the new square ball rule there is going to be pandamonium in full back lines and I can see alot of scrappy goals being scored if teams exploit the rule.Also its difficult to see if he will have the sharpness required for midfield/wingforward after not playing intercounty football for a year regardless of how well he looks after himself.

heman
Junior A

Post by heman »

here's a mad idea!!!! why cant the full forward be out in front of his man and offaly kick the ball into him at chest height so he can kick it over the bar or lay it off to a supporting teammate.

Bord na Mona man
All Star
Club: Clara

Post by Bord na Mona man »

Won't be happening.

Coffey rules out McManus return

Ciaran McManus won't be coming out of retirement to assist Offaly in their Leinster SFC quarter-final against Kildare, interim manager Tom Coffey has confirmed.

Coffey extended an invitation to McManus to re-join the Faithful panel after taking over reins from Gerry Cooney a month ago, but the Tubber clubman has decided not to return.

"He was unable to commit," Coffey told The Tullamore Tribune.

"It would be very unfair to give a 36-year-old three weeks training ahead of the Kildare game. He needs to be protected as well, after all the great games he has played for Offaly."

Clara forward Thomas Deehan won't be returning either, despite initially agreeing to, but Coffey has succeeded in bringing Niall Smith, Ross Brady and Richie Dalton - who is expected to man the full back position against the Lilywhites - back into the fold.

Former Laois player Mark Dunne, who now plays his club football with Rhode, has also been added to the panel - he scored 0-4 against his native county in last Friday night's challenge in Mountmellick - but star forward Niall McNamee isn't currently involved as he battles a long-standing groin problem.

http://www.hoganstand.com/Offaly/Articl ... ?ID=169062

bracknaghboy
All Star

Post by bracknaghboy »

Bord na Mona man wrote: Coffey rules out McManus return
"It would be very unfair to give a 36-year-old three weeks training ahead of the Kildare game. He needs to be protected as well, after all the great games he has played for Offaly."
As a couple of us said earlier there is no need for a man with legendary status like McManus to be getting involved in this farce in 4 weeks time.
Bord na Mona man wrote:and Richie Dalton - who is expected to man the full back position against the Lilywhites
I hope this is a joke......surely Coffey isn't so out of touch with reality that he'd allow Tomas O'Connor a free reign like this?

Pot Noodle
Junior B

Post by Pot Noodle »

Bord na Mona man wrote:Won't be happening.

Coffey rules out McManus return

Ciaran McManus won't be coming out of retirement to assist Offaly in their Leinster SFC quarter-final against Kildare, interim manager Tom Coffey has confirmed.

Coffey extended an invitation to McManus to re-join the Faithful panel after taking over reins from Gerry Cooney a month ago, but the Tubber clubman has decided not to return.

"He was unable to commit," Coffey told The Tullamore Tribune.

Clara forward Thomas Deehan won't be returning either, despite initially agreeing to, but Coffey has succeeded in bringing Niall Smith, Ross Brady and Richie Dalton - who is expected to man the full back position against the Lilywhites - back into the fold.

Former Laois player Mark Dunne, who now plays his club football with Rhode, has also been added to the panel - he scored 0-4 against his native county in last Friday night's challenge in Mountmellick - but star forward Niall McNamee isn't currently involved as he battles a long-standing groin problem.

http://www.hoganstand.com/Offaly/Articl ... ?ID=169062
It was in the Mirror last Saturday!

jimbob17
All Star

Post by jimbob17 »

In fairness, I think Mac made the right choice. Nothing to gain and everything to lose v Kildare regarding his reputation. That has been hard earned and 15 good years could be ruined by a 15 point hammering. However, I could see him featuring in the qualifiers possibly. He wouldnt be shown up v Kildare and would have a few more weeks to get himself ready for the heat of county championship after a year away from it.....
jimbob

DAF
All Star

Post by DAF »

jimbob17 wrote:In fairness, I think Mac made the right choice. Nothing to gain and everything to lose v Kildare regarding his reputation. That has been hard earned and 15 good years could be ruined by a 15 point hammering. However, I could see him featuring in the qualifiers possibly. He wouldnt be shown up v Kildare and would have a few more weeks to get himself ready for the heat of county championship after a year away from it.....
15 point hammering.

You're far more optimistic than I am

townman
All Star

Post by townman »

at least Mac has a bit of sense not to come back in at 36 years of age and no training done since last year they didn't really think
he was going to come back in and come on or start again a super fit kildare side, only for people to say after the game wasn't he a fcuking t..l
to come back or he wasn't worth a sh.te he should have stayed at home cause thats what would be said.

aze111
Junior B
Club: walshisland

Post by aze111 »

How Richie Dalton is even still being looked at i dont know. The man looks like hes asleep out on the field. Thomas O Connor will think all his Birthdays have come at once if he sees Dalton Lining up to marking him in Portlaoise.

Plain of the Herbs
All Star
Club: Lusmagh

Post by Plain of the Herbs »

Ciarán wasn't long getting around the streets of Tullamore in the GAA's run last Sunday morning.
Pat Donegan. Signed out of respect for players and all involved with Offaly.