Offaly minor hurlers

A forum to air your views on Offaly GAA matters and beyond.
Fido
Intermediate

Re: Offaly minor hurlers

Post by Fido »

Dublinmeath hurling wrote:The problem in Offaly is your living on tradition
We've enough angst of our own on this issue as you'd see in every other thread on here, thanks.
Ahlethimoutwithit wrote: The big issue though is parents, very few encourage the kids out to play football and hurling.
Kids are basically unfit, I can see now a situation where we are going to have to do fitness training as part of training u10s and 12s in the not too distannt, as opposed to skills and games.
Kids have poor coordination and these are all things that need to be brought in to the curriculem in National school.
Absolutely right.
Co-ordination and basic ball and movement skills are already part of the primary school curriculum, which should be implemented in every school in Ireland. But as we all know these skills have always been strengthened and practised outside of school hours, where the real skills and strength were built up, until recent times. Some (not all) kids now are so inactive that the one hour a week prescribed PE time in primary schools is about all they get, and their co-ordination and fine motor skills are way behind where they should be. Not much you can do in an hour that can turn around fairly ingrained lifestyle habits at that age. It's vital that kids are encouraged into sports and activities in an enjoyable way, which is the reasoning behind the Go-Games. The "talented" kids will always want to compete too, which is natural and right, but keeping all abilities involved at their own level would be hugely beneficial in the long run.

townman
All Star

Post by townman »

Ahlethimoutwithit wrote:Your reply is typical of the atitude in Offaly when someone questions what we are at with underage.
I know there is work going on but is their enough? My young lad likes hurling but is in a football club, and his school has no hurling, so he goes to a hurling club where he has one hour a week. The big issue though is parents, very few encourage the kids out to play football and hurling.
Kids are basically unfit, I can see now a situation where we are going to have to do fitness training as part of training u10s and 12s in the not too distannt, as opposed to skills and games.
Kids have poor coordination and these are all things that need to be brought in to the curriculem in National school.
Hopefully more counties do get up to a higher level and the best of luck to them, and if we can learn anything from them then we should!
yes some kids are unfit thats because the parents give them the dosh to fill themselfs with sh.t and play with playstaions all day thats in every county
but all young lads are not like that.

i see your point about your son loves the hurling but theres no hurling at his school, theres others who love the football and there no football as such at there school
just hurling which you will get that on which end of the county your from.

but they are doing something about it, Birr beat Seir Kierans two weeks ago in the under 21 semil final Kierans had a midfielder from Gracefield who has been with them
over the last few years which is good gracefield can play with Kierans underage which will give them lads a chance to hurl, as there is no school hurling in portarlington schools
as far as i know, and Gracefield are junior B now and have slip down the ladder from been a top junior A team a few years ago won it in 1992 again Pat Fleurys Drumcullen.

as i said before offaly were bless that we had a group of great hurlers that came together in the mid 90's to win the 3 minors and backbone the all ireland winning teams 94,98.
if Johnny Dooley or Brian Whelehan were on todays minor team would they win the minor all ireland think not.

if offaly can get two or three young good hurlers to go on and make the senior team in a few years time that will be ok, what underage all irelands had the 1981, 1985 side none
bar a leinster under 21 in 1978.

all the minors Galway have won and are still as far away from winning one as ever, our neighbour Leix were the underage kingpins in the 90's minor and under 21 how many sams
did they win, when was the last time kerry won the minor didn't do them any harm still winning seniors.

before we run down the young lads that are going to do their best for the county we can only hope they do their best. and as i said theres some nice young hurlers on the minor
side fair enough they might not win all irelands but i' have seen there two games so far and i see some playersfor the future.

anyway all the best to the minors this weekend please god i'd get to give them a shout again this weekend and a win over the auld neighbours :wink:

joe bloggs
All Star

Post by joe bloggs »

Did anyone hear that this game has been moved out of OCP and Laois now have home advantage.
I got an email from Paddy Power this afternoon telling me the bet i placed earlier in the week was now void as the match venue had been changed and as a result the odds for both teams had been adjusted

Anyway the team for tonight is as follows
1 Conor Clancy (St Rynaghs)
2 Damien Murphy (Shinrone)
3 Andrew Browne ( Kinnitty)
4 Rian Kelly (St Rynaghs)
5 Emmet Nolan (Birr)
6 Conor Doughan (c) (Shinrone)
7 Eoin Pilkington (Birr)
8 Seamus O Connor (Coolderry)
9 Cathal Mahon (Kilcormac/Killoughey)
10 Keith Bergin (Kinnitty)
11 Kevin Dunne (Seir Kieran)
12 Ger Crowe (Tullamore)
13 Alan Spain ( Kilcormac/Killoughey)
14 Cilian Kiely (Kilcormac/Killoughey)
15 Dylan Murray (Kilcormac/Killoughey
'if your not part of the solution, your part of the problem' J. McClean

kingscounty
All Star

Post by kingscounty »

well im heading to ocp for 7 tonight so hope its still on there!! best of luck to the lads it should be good game

Lone Shark
All Star
Club: Ferbane

Post by Lone Shark »

No word on any of the official websites - I'd say it's highly unlikely that it's been moved so.
Kevin Egan. Signed out of respect for players and all involved with Offaly.

Toxicity234
All Star

Post by Toxicity234 »

LMHC Q-Final - HT - Offaly 1-4 Laois 1-6
Offaly have strongish wind in second half. Offaly had penalty saved
“Common sense is not so common.”

manfromdelmonte
All Star

Post by manfromdelmonte »

Fido wrote:
Dublinmeath hurling wrote:The problem in Offaly is your living on tradition
We've enough angst of our own on this issue as you'd see in every other thread on here, thanks.
Ahlethimoutwithit wrote: The big issue though is parents, very few encourage the kids out to play football and hurling.
Absolutely right.
Co-ordination and basic ball and movement skills are already part of the primary school curriculum, which should be implemented in every school in Ireland..
I doubt very many schools bother to do this
they have enough things to be focussing on

A huge issue now facing the GAA up and down the country is the lack of male teachers at primary level
i don't want to be sexist, but the female teachers are far less likely to have the interest in football and hurling (or any sport) to inspire the kids
a lot of female teachers don't bother with PE - fact
and are far less likely to give their own time to teams outside school time - fact

clubs need to get people into schools to develop the basic skills and interest in playing.
you can see the clubs who put the effort into the local schools as they get all the kids out and generally the kids have better skills
only the best...

Bord na Mona man
All Star
Club: Clara

Post by Bord na Mona man »

Offaly 2-9 Leix 1-11 with 10 minutes to go.
Gonna be close.

Bord na Mona man
All Star

Level 2-10 to 1-13 after 67 minutes.

Bord na Mona man
All Star

Offaly 2-10 Leix 2-13. Late goal for Laois wins it.

Yet another alarm call for Offaly. Do we wake the fcuk up or hit the snooze button once again?
Well done to Laois btw. Good to see them making strides an putting in the work.

kingscounty
All Star

Post by kingscounty »

i thought laois deserved to win the game they played the better hurling over the whole game. laois looked far bigger and fitter than offaly did. young pilkington looked out of sorts from the get go and andrew connolly did well when he was introduced and score some nice points.alan spain got alot of ball but i would have liked to see him at corner forward instead of roaming in midfield. the losing of the game for me was down to the keeper on two occasions , in the first half he went to catch a ball instead of using the hurl and at the end he should have come off his goal and drove man and ball out the field. laois were smarter with the ball and used it quickly where as offaly were to laid back at times and sometimes tried to carry the ball out instead of playing direct ball like laois were doing. the laois support was far greater than offalys and this showed at the end when they went wild when the goal went in , i thought we would have had more support at home.

joe bloggs
All Star

Post by joe bloggs »

kingscounty wrote:i thought laois deserved to win the game they played the better hurling over the whole game. laois looked far bigger and fitter than offaly did. young pilkington looked out of sorts from the get go and andrew connolly did well when he was introduced and score some nice points.alan spain got alot of ball but i would have liked to see him at corner forward instead of roaming in midfield. the losing of the game for me was down to the keeper on two occasions , in the first half he went to catch a ball instead of using the hurl and at the end he should have come off his goal and drove man and ball out the field. laois were smarter with the ball and used it quickly where as offaly were to laid back at times and sometimes tried to carry the ball out instead of playing direct ball like laois were doing. the laois support was far greater than offalys and this showed at the end when they went wild when the goal went in , i thought we would have had more support at home.
If we were at "home" in birr then we would have had more support, but as long as they keep putting these games in ocp the attendence for hurling will be poor. Would this have changed the result?
No one knows the answer to that, but I can tell you that it is getting really frustrating at this stage for genuine hurling supporters.
anyone who was part of the very well attended u21 final would tell you that birr is more than capable of holding big games

bracknaghboy
All Star

Post by bracknaghboy »

joe bloggs wrote: but I can tell you that it is getting really frustrating at this stage for genuine hurling supporters.
anyone who was part of the very well attended u21 final would tell you that birr is more than capable of holding big games

Such shite! You say "Genuine hurling supporters".......surely "genuine" supporters would have been at the game regarless of venue. If you are "genuine" and want to support the lads surely a 15-20 minute drive would be irrelevant. I don't understand this crap about venues, then again I wouldn't being a disingenuous hurling supporter from a region of the county other than Birr!!!!

joe bloggs
All Star

Post by joe bloggs »

bracknaghboy wrote:
joe bloggs wrote: but I can tell you that it is getting really frustrating at this stage for genuine hurling supporters.

Such shite! You say "Genuine hurling supporters".......surely "genuine" supporters would have been at the game regarless of venue. If you are "genuine" and want to support the lads surely a 15-20 minute drive would be irrelevant. I don't understand this crap about venues, then again I wouldn't being a disingenuous hurling supporter from a region of the county other than Birr!!!!
I have not met anyone from the south of the county who prefers ocp to birr for hurling. People vote with their feet and it is embarrasing at this stage the attendences for hurling in ocp. As for a 15- 20 minute drive you must never have been down around coolderry, shinrone etc. It would be that into birr nearly,let alone to tullamore.

Lone Shark
All Star
Club: Ferbane

Post by Lone Shark »

This is about Offaly minor hurling, and if these results happened in Wexford Park, Páirc Tailteann and O'Moore Park, we wouldn't be talking about venues, we'd be talking about the hurling and what we're going to do about it. All this stuff is just giving cover for those charged with the development of hurling in Offaly to hide behind.

These lads did their best but it was a shallow panel, short on a lot of the basic skills of the game, such as fielding, support play and tackling. That's not the responsibility of the crowd, the grass or anything like it.
Kevin Egan. Signed out of respect for players and all involved with Offaly.