U21 Football Management

A forum to air your views on Offaly GAA matters and beyond.
Hyper
All Star

Re: U21 Football Management

Post by Hyper »

Best of luck to the guys tonight. Hanlon and Young are doubtful - Donoghue and Cullen to start.

True Red
All Star

Post by True Red »

Best of luck to these guys tonight....Navan has been a happy hunting ground for Offaly in the past.....the Senior Leinster semi final v Louth (ironically) in 1997 springs to mind.

Hopefully Paschal and the whole team can get the right result.
If you don’t stand for something you fall for anything

red exile
County player
Club: edenderry

Post by red exile »

Best of luck tonight , we definitely have the ability to easily win this match and set up a massive Leinster final
Prediction .. Offaly v Dublin

High School Musical
All Star
Club: St. Vincents

Post by High School Musical »

True Red wrote:Navan has been a happy hunting ground for Offaly in the past.....the Senior Leinster semi final v Louth (ironically) in 1997 springs to mind.
Not fully sure if I share your opinion there True Red. Navan has been a mixed bag for Offaly down the years as far as I remember. At Senior level anyway. Many a minor & U-21 team has come a cropper there too. Wouldn't be a venue I'd be terribly happy about Offaly going to.

All that aside, best of luck to Offaly tonight. A win will give a big lift to football within the County!

Kevin
All Star

Post by Kevin »

Good luck lads!

You can do it!!
Kevin Clancey. Signed out of respect for players and all involved with Offaly.

townman
All Star

Post by townman »

Louth 0-6 Offaly 0-1 :( big second half need it

Kevin
All Star

Post by Kevin »

Louth 0-9, Offaly 0-4
Kevin Clancey. Signed out of respect for players and all involved with Offaly.

red exile
County player
Club: edenderry

Post by red exile »

Result 0-10 to 0-08 in favour of Louth
We beat ourselves in the 1st half and left it late to try and claw back the 8 pt deficit in the 2nd.
They might as well give Dublin the cup now

townman
All Star

Post by townman »

red exile wrote:Result 0-10 to 0-08 in favour of Louth
We beat ourselves in the 1st half and left it late to try and claw back the 8 pt deficit in the 2nd.
They might as well give Dublin the cup now
why would they not win it if offaly had to win hard luck to the lads but give Louth some Credit
i listen to it on louth FM Anton putting frees wide in front of the post wasn't there day.

Dublin had another big win tonight and are a fine football side . but looking back on offalys 3 games in the under 21
they weren't putting up big scores and only 1 point in the first half left them with to much to do but they nearly did.

Abercrombie Fitch
County player

Post by Abercrombie Fitch »

No explanation can be given for the diabolical first half. Atrocious! Management need to answer that one, and also why changes were so slow to happen. Paschals CV has been totally blown apart here tonight.

The decision to continue with 2 Offaly players in the Louth half as the game panned out was baffling.

Anton missed two unforgivable frees from the 21 yard line in the first half that would have put a much healthier look on the scoreline.

To finish off, the referee gave Offaly a free in with 15 mins to go just as Peter Cunningham rattled the top corner of the net. A truly dreadful refereeing decision which I'm sure he regretted immediately.

Long drive home after that.

Plain of the Herbs
All Star
Club: Lusmagh

Post by Plain of the Herbs »

You referred to me on Premierview a few minutes thus -
peoplesman wrote:though you would be in Navan you will have plenty to say after that game when you read up on
what people have to say that were at it as unusual
http://premierview.proboards.com/index. ... 679&page=2
And barely 15 minutes later you produce this -
townman wrote:why would they not win it if offaly had to win hard luck to the lads but give Louth some Credit
i listen to it on louth FM Anton putting frees wide in front of the post wasn't there day.

Dublin had another big win tonight and are a fine football side . but looking back on offalys 3 games in the under 21
they weren't putting up big scores and only 1 point in the first half left them with to much to do but they nearly did.
No further comment necessary from me.
Pat Donegan. Signed out of respect for players and all involved with Offaly.

townman
All Star

Post by townman »

but sure your on premierview to POTH so that makes two of us, as i said i was listen to it on louth FM
getting worried about you POTH your getting into some kind of stalker on the internet :lol:

Plain of the Herbs
All Star
Club: Lusmagh

Post by Plain of the Herbs »

I keep checking around to see if you'll make a coherent, intelligent point that would make your county proud of you. I remain disappointed on that score.

But don't give up. Most of what you post is a great laff. Really.
townman wrote:but sure your on premierview to POTH so that makes two of us, as i said i was listen to it on louth FM
getting worried about you POTH your getting into some kind of stalker on the internet
Pat Donegan. Signed out of respect for players and all involved with Offaly.

jimbob17
All Star

Post by jimbob17 »

at the game tonight and just back. very disappointing though one couldnt fault their effort. Oy were very slow to get out of the traps and were a long way behind. It might have been the case that the players thought they were better than they were without working for it. While Offaly should have had more than a point on the board at half time with bad shot selection and poor support play from the forwards, Louth should have had more on the board too as they often breached the Offaly rearguard only to waste chances after good play.

the second half was a different story with offaly on top throughout. young hanlon made a difference and the bench was unloaded when things werent happening so fair play to the management on that one, though i felt Cullen was in hard luck to be subbed. The shackles were on Anton throughout though he tried hard and looked dangerous when he got the ball. Offaly really picked up the pace and created plenty of chances, though i felt they paniced on the ball near the end and went for goals too early when only 2 points behind. A few missed frees were also costly. Just wondering why it was left to a young lad to kick the free at the end with 2 more experienced lads on the pitch in Anton and Mark Young. Bad and unfair call in my book to ask young cunningham to take it.

Overall though a satisfactory campaign with two great wins and a solid performance in a semi. While management will reflect and think about what they could have been done differently in hindsight, i think you are very wrong to have a go at them as they have done a fine job with this bunch and having a go at them is totally out of order in my opinion. Paschal will have regrets about this one, but a fine job was done overall and i think it has given us a bit of a lift in the county and belief in the future if only brief. I really enjoyed them evenings in gracefield and i know that many more did too. well done to all concerned.
jimbob

Deadandgone
Intermediate
Club: Tullamore

Post by Deadandgone »

A pity we did not win to nite. A lot of lads seem to know everything after the game. The only thing was when offaly did make changes they finished a stronger team. It came down to if the ref gave offaly advantage we had a goal scored and we dropped 4 r 5 balls into goalies hand and we missed 3 r 4 very easy frees. If all this had gone our way we would be now in a leinster final