Life, Death & Hurling, The Michael Duignan Story

A forum to air your views on Offaly GAA matters and beyond.
llkj
All Star

Re: Life, Death & Hurling, The Michael Duignan Story

Post by llkj »

Haven't read the book yet, but I have heard a couple of the radio interviews. Duignan is a very natural and comfortable speaker, which makes for a lot better interview than you get with a lot of GAA folk.

One point that was made so many times during the era in question (80s minor teams and senior teams of the 90s) was the famous "all from 10 miles of Birr" stat. Duignan referenced it and pointed out the fact that 12 of the starting 15 minor team were either from Banagher or Birr. Then all through the 90s Ger Canning must have made some reference to it at least twice a match during commentary. Also, I heard a newstalk interview with Daithi Regan about a year ago, where he was talking about playing dual sports as opposed to focusing on one, and he also referenced this and said some quote like 'All I am interested in is hurling in south offaly and birr hurling'.

While the fact that there were so many family connections on the great teams and that only a handful of clubs were represented on the county panel (for example the starting 15 in '94 had 5 clubs - Birr, Clareen, Rynaghs, Lusmagh, Tullamore) is a real novelty, I do not believe that it should be seen as the template for future success. Ok, great it was amazing at the time and without doubt helped the teams to bond well; but rather than saying 'well this type of thing is a freak accurance, and let's not rely on this as our strategy' I feel we for far too long sat on our laurels and congratulated ourselves as this great little county.

With such success, we should have been able to spread hurling to every part of Offaly in the last 20 years and that the success of the few should have been shown as an inspriation to every other club, with the county board leading a drive to use the great ambassadors they had to strengthen hurling within the clubs already playing and to help establish hurling in the other clubs.

While the senior championship has broadened its geographic appeal I still feel that way more work is needed.

I would be really interested to see if there is any information currently available about playing numbers in the county. I don't think this would be too hard to pull together, with a little co-operation between clubs, County Board and schools. For example, knowing what numbers there are in schools at various ages, what clubs these schools service and what numbers are playing with the local club would be interesting. Also, seeing what the playing numbers are at various age groups and at the secondary schools would make for interesting analysis. To follow this to adult level and see how many players are playing the sport with each club would also be useful. I would imagine that such a study would throw up some startling results about the actual situation currently in the county; but at least it would be a good starting point to go about trying to get coaches in where needed, try to promote the game better where needed, etc...

I really believe that if the CB just leave it to the clubs to sort out their own affairs, that it will not be beneficial in the long run; but with the proper guidance and management of the resources, that it could lead to much better results for all of the concerned parties.

summerindublin
All Star
Club: New York

Post by summerindublin »

just heard that this book has beem taken off the shelves due to some 'legal dispute', any one know why????????????

Ahlethimoutwithit
All Star

Post by Ahlethimoutwithit »

May be to do with one of the brawls he got involved in, whilst making a good story, would not be appropriate given pending court proceedings!??

Pot Noodle
Junior B

Post by Pot Noodle »

The book was never "taken off the shelves". There was a delay in the distribution process which has now been sorted. The book was distributed nationwide earlier in the week.

thelittletown
Junior C

Post by thelittletown »

Ahlethimoutwithit wrote:May be to do with one of the brawls he got involved in, whilst making a good story, would not be appropriate given pending court proceedings!??
think it had to do with someones pride hurt ha..A gracefield selector in a junior hurling game was mouthin at him and duignan knocked him out clean on the line..it was mentioned in the indo and the gracefield man wasnt a bit happy about it and got an apology in the paper and a bit of dough more than likely..

Ahlethimoutwithit
All Star

Post by Ahlethimoutwithit »

Sure thats the way to carry on on the line? And he an expert on the Sunday Game lecturing all and sundry on discipline. Maybe the chap from Gracefield was over the top, but not a great example all the same is it?

Thought that had gone legal but must have been sorted out so!