offaly hurlers (great effort)

A forum to air your views on Offaly GAA matters and beyond.
Fargo Boyle
All Star

Re: offaly hurlers (great effort)

Post by Fargo Boyle »

I think ye are getting abit carried away. What we saw on Sunday was a very ordinary Dublin team that were put to the pin of their collar by a battling Offaly side missing half a team. Dublin had 2 or 3 extra gears at any stage if they were needed. Offaly only really came into in the first half because of persistent fouling by the Dubs and then in the second half when the Dubs thought the game was over once Offaly were down to 14. Don't get me wrong it was nice to see Offaly battling hard but there was never a sense that they were good enough to win or believed that they were going to win (despite The Sunday Game panel trying to talk Offaly up the whole time) .

I think Sunday showed major flaws in the Dublin side that Galway will expose in the next round (if they overcome Westmeath!!). Their full back line looks extremely poor - Offaly outfielded them there most of the time. The Tipp centre forward only looked avarege - does anyone think that if he was good enough to play for Tipp that he would not be doing it now? Keaney looked only average - if he was still good enough for the footballers, I doubt he would be playing hurling.

Lets remember last year when Offaly put it up to Galway on both days. We never looked like winning those games either. Then the year fissled out with a poor performance against Tipp.

If someone had of said 2 years ago that we would be happy with a battling 5 point defeat to Dublin in the 1st round of the Championship, you'd be laughed off this forum!

townman
All Star

Post by townman »

Fargo Boyle wrote:I think ye are getting abit carried away. What we saw on Sunday was a very ordinary Dublin team that were put to the pin of their collar by a battling Offaly side missing half a team. Dublin had 2 or 3 extra gears at any stage if they were needed. Offaly only really came into in the first half because of persistent fouling by the Dubs and then in the second half when the Dubs thought the game was over once Offaly were down to 14. Don't get me wrong it was nice to see Offaly battling hard but there was never a sense that they were good enough to win or believed that they were going to win (despite The Sunday Game panel trying to talk Offaly up the whole time) .

I think Sunday showed major flaws in the Dublin side that Galway will expose in the next round (if they overcome Westmeath!!). Their full back line looks extremely poor - Offaly outfielded them there most of the time. The Tipp centre forward only looked avarege - does anyone think that if he was good enough to play for Tipp that he would not be doing it now? Keaney looked only average - if he was still good enough for the footballers, I doubt he would be playing hurling.

Lets remember last year when Offaly put it up to Galway on both days. We never looked like winning those games either. Then the year fissled out with a poor performance against Tipp.

If someone had of said 2 years ago that we would be happy with a battling 5 point defeat to Dublin in the 1st round of the Championship, you'd be laughed off this forum!
well to say (if they overcome westmeath) Galway is a bigger laugh :lol:

cromabu
Junior C
Club: Clara

Post by cromabu »

Anyone know who the subs v Dublin were. Heres a few

16. Eoin Kelly
17. Cathal Parlon
21. James Mulrooney

kingscounty
All Star

Post by kingscounty »

as stated before no one is getting carried away we are just proud of the way the lads did on sunday,considering dublin were tipped to win leinster,were going to beat offaly by 20 points and an offaly man got man of the match to!! at least they made a good go at it unlike the fancied footballers who were tipped to get to leinster final to.we all know theres huge work to be done in offaly,but after the poor crowd that showed up in croke park i think we should take a look at ourselves as supporters and stop the negative stuff all the time even after good performances.

townman
All Star

Post by townman »

cromabu wrote:Anyone know who the subs v Dublin were. Heres a few

16. Eoin Kelly
17. Cathal Parlon
21. James Mulrooney
the subs from sundays game were as on the programme no Micheal Cordial :?:

16. Eoin Kelly
17.Cathal Parlon
18.Brian Mulrooney
19. Eanna Murphy (who played instead of Hanniffy)
20. Shane Kelly
21.James Mulrooney
22. Peter Healion
23.Chris McDonald
24.Mark Morkan
25.Thomas Carroll
26. Kevin Connolly

concrete
Junior A

Post by concrete »

who were the 7 regulars we were missing?
dublin were missing there full back and centre back and they played poor, when they hurled for 10 minutes in the 2nd half they went 8 points clear then took the foot off the pedal again

atomic
Junior A

Post by atomic »

Francks, Clearly, Hannify, Rigney, Brady, Carroll(more or less), Murphy(do not out through injury can't play at the moment due to work commitments)

Kevin
All Star

Post by Kevin »

townman wrote:
cromabu wrote:Anyone know who the subs v Dublin were. Heres a few

16. Eoin Kelly
17. Cathal Parlon
21. James Mulrooney
the subs from sundays game were as on the programme no Micheal Cordial :?:

16. Eoin Kelly
17.Cathal Parlon
18.Brian Mulrooney
19. Eanna Murphy (who played instead of Hanniffy)
20. Shane Kelly
21.James Mulrooney
22. Peter Healion
23.Chris McDonald
24.Mark Morkan
25.Thomas Carroll
26. Kevin Connolly
Was this an error or is Cordial no longer part of the team?
Kevin Clancey. Signed out of respect for players and all involved with Offaly.

old yellar
All Star

Post by old yellar »

Stephen wynne?

Lone Shark
All Star
Club: Ferbane

Post by Lone Shark »

You can only name 26 players. I guess this was what happened here, the lads are in the squad but they didn't make the 26?
Kevin Egan. Signed out of respect for players and all involved with Offaly.

old yellar
All Star

Post by old yellar »

I fathom how a lad can be picked for Kk game, play it all, and such an important one at that, and then not be considered good enough to tog out in the 26 just 4/5 weeks on!

danandmollys
Junior C
Club: KK

Post by danandmollys »

i think wyne picked up an injury before the dublin game.. not sure about cordial.. diggy is surely good enough to make the 26

plain the maggot
Junior C
Club: drumcullen

Post by plain the maggot »

delighted offaly didnt get hammered they showed tremendous spirit.......
once again they shut most of ye up who said we were going to be bet by 20 points and now theres a few of ye congratulating them.
fair play to ye :x

bracknaghboy
All Star

Post by bracknaghboy »

Lone Shark wrote:You can only name 26 players. I guess this was what happened here, the lads are in the squad but they didn't make the 26?
Surely Diggy didn't miss out because of this sure he was the 1st sub on in most games in the league and now not to find himself in the 26 (of an injury hit team) would be odd? He must have walked or was dropped?

faithfulman
Intermediate

Post by faithfulman »

old yellar wrote:Stephen wynne?
was injured.don't think he even togged out
He is so bad in goal he needs the net in front of him.