Cribben out, Darby in?

A forum to air your views on Offaly GAA matters and beyond.
Lone Shark
All Star
Club: Ferbane

Re: Cribben out, Darby in?

Post by Lone Shark »

It's the classic debate though, just like Ireland as a nation is choosing to kick the can down the road and not deal with the problems we have politically and economically, are the people and the powers that be within Offaly willing to do what it takes to try and turn things around? It's all very well to say that Tom Cribbin clearly hasn't got through to these players, but we've now had plenty of managers who have failed to do so, and that's with the help of some exemplary older players like Ciarán McManus, Scott Brady and Karol Slattery in the dressing room as well.

For example:

(1) If we decide in Offaly that a lot of these guys are mentally weak, are we willing to be patient and bring in a new generation and suffer the heavy beatings that would occur while they learn the ropes? If a 2011 player dominates his 2012 counterpart in a club championship match, will the cries for the return of the other guy be deafening? All too often debate in Offaly focusses around the players that aren't there. Well this year it was fair to say that 95% of the best players in Offaly made themselves available, and while Brian Connor would possibly have added something, we had a good team on the field, based on reputation. So what does that tell you?

(2) If we decide that we need the standard in the Club SFC to get better - are we willing to do what it takes to make that happen? Are we willing to put divisional teams in place, which would mean that there would be a maximum of ten senior clubs instead of 12, and possibly just 8? Are we willing to say that club championship on a midweek evening is too hard on players and it downgrades the value of the whole thing? Play games at weekends, with the knock on effect that it becomes very difficult to play club SHC and club SFC.

(3) Are we, as club members, willing to go out and raise fortunes to be spent on a big name manager, if that's considered the solution?

This is just top of the head stuff, and personally I would be (1) yes, (2) yes and (3) no. But that's just me - in order for this to get better, we've got to attack this from every side. I remain of the view that there are plenty of good young footballers in this county who are capable of progressing well, but there are fundamental issues pervading Offaly GAA beyond that. This will take time, energy and the will to fight a lot of vested interests. Is that something that Offaly GAA has the stomach for, particularly when a similar root and branch review is probably needed for the hurling.
Kevin Egan. Signed out of respect for players and all involved with Offaly.

hard2watch
Junior A

Post by hard2watch »

There,s alot of problems with regards to Offaly football at the minute but to me the biggest problem is that the management are only watching the top Senior teams in Offaly.I follow the Intermediate championship the past 3 years and it is without doubt the toughest,most balanced championship in the county..Any one of about 6 teams can realistically win it whereas its a toss up between Rhode and Clara each year at Senior.I think Offaly need to pick 5 or 6 lads that are over 6 foot and if they hit a Wexford man or any other man they wud hurt him,because the past few years we have put boys out there to play with the men..now dont tell me there isnt any of these men playing in Offaly or the arent as skillfull as these small men we have because id rather have honesty and pride back in the jersey than go watch these over rated players who made there names as half decent minors...So a message id like to send out if for Offaly management is to get off your arses and go to Division 1,2,and 3 league games and Intermediate championship matches and spot the real talents in the county.

faithfullad
Senior

Post by faithfullad »

God, shocking simplistic view there hard2watch, that might have been ok in bygone years but not now. How would a 6ft+ lad of limited talent fared marking Ciaran Lyng or Ben Brosnan?

hard2watch
Junior A

Post by hard2watch »

Who said limited talent,you see thats exactly our problem..we need bigger midfield and forwards.Bracken is a much better footballer than Dalton..he is simply no good..If Rhode have got to 2 out of the last 3 Leinster Finals is Alan Mcnamee not fit enough to make that team??Or even get Paschal back..Roy Malone wud have played better than at least 3 of our forwards too and by the way im not a rhode man..Most teams have 3 or 4 small men but Offalys team is full of them..And another point id make is Alan Mulhall is a good footballer,two feet,good hands and strong man and should be played full forward.

townman
All Star

Post by townman »

Bord na Mona man wrote:What Cribben was probably thinking is that loads of the players are going to go on the beer now and there is nothing he can do about it.
i think by the look of them on saturday they were on the beer before the game :lol:

Mr Faithful
Junior B

Post by Mr Faithful »

After traveling the length of the country to go to the game on sat eve and pay €20 for what was a terrible performance. I'm not having a go at Cribben, he is human like the rest of us, but it was very clear after 5mins that Dalton wasn't at the races in midfield. Niall Smith tried his utmost to keep us in the game, but when your team mate beside you was totally out of the game, thats when management should have changed things around. Evey game these days is won by having a midfield to drive the team on. We are totally reliant on Niall Mc for scores, our other forwards were totally muscled out of the game. Scott Brady had a good game, gutsy & determined to win every ball. I wont stop following the auld faithful, but the footballers could drink a drop of what the hurlers have something called belief & pride the jersey. Roll on 25 June & restore the pride!!