Leinster SHC 2011-Dublin v Offaly

A forum to air your views on Offaly GAA matters and beyond.
My Left Foot
Senior

Re: Leinster SHC 2011-Dublin v Offaly

Post by My Left Foot »

Good man Kings County

if you're this up for it now i can't wait to see you the day of the match !!

I can't wait either - sh1t or bust on the day - we're underdogs but i think that the team will turn up with a performance on the day as they know what to expect.

Whether they have been prepared as best as possible we will wait and see and pass judgement after the c'ship.

saturday SFC v Wexford, Champ league final, then SHC V the Dubs on Sunday - sweet :D

The nervous anticipation tingle is starting - as i say for every first c'ship game - I really think we can do it !!

Hopefully its not our first and last day in the front door in both codes. Best of luck to all our teams this year.

Uibh fhaili abu

townman
All Star

Post by townman »

thats the stuff lads i think we can give Dublin all they want of it come the 29...... up the faithful.

Plain of the Herbs
All Star
Club: Lusmagh

Post by Plain of the Herbs »

We have to take this lineout with a pinch of salt, given that it seems Brian Carroll was in goal, but two things jump out.

Eanna Murphy was a panellist last year in his first year out of Minor, yet he was omitted from the panel for this year’s League and now he’s back again. Now I’ve no problem with the panel being open to players who are in form, but if Eanna Murphy was being developed properly surely he should have been retained on the panel with a view to his development as an inter-county hurler.

Now whether he should have been on the panel at such a young age last year is another thing, but he was, and if there was a logical plan in place to improve players then he should have been retained throughout. Brian Coughlan is another such player. Tom Carroll is on the panel this year in his first year out of Minor. Will he be there next year? Maybe, maybe not. But the best 19 year-old probably will. For a year.

Meanwhile David Kenny’s rehabilitation from injury remains hindered by constant matches when he really needs a period of rest. At least Belmont have spared him to a degree, using him in the full-forward line, though he made a big impression when moved to centre-forward for a quarter of an hour against Tullamore. The County team flogged him to death in defence for an entire League campaign.

Conor Gath is another name that jumps out. Just what the County needs – a right-hand-on-top cackhander. They haven’t had one of those since . . . since . . . oh, I can’t remember!

Joe Dooley is well into his fourth year in charge and I can’t think of a single hurler whose technique improved as a result of Dooley’s coaching. Most are just the same as they were when they joined the panel, or when Dooley took over (in the case of the longer-serving players). Shane Dooley is a notable exception and I’d say that’s as a result of his own hard work rather than anything else.

Dooley has placed much of his faith in Daniel Currams, who is no better a hurler now than he was when he was Minor. He still continues to tackle incorrectly, which got him sent off (correctly) against Galway last year.

I haven’t seen either of Kilcormac’s two matches this year – how big is Peter Healion now?

There’s no plan, there’s no strategy. It’s all going nowhere. But shure the League winners always lose the first round of the championship. And Offaly are due a win over Dublin. And Offaly won matches in Croke Park years ago. And it’ll be alright on the night.

Yea, RIGHT!
Offaly2010 wrote:Offaly: J Dempsey; S Egan, D Kenny, B Mulrooney; D Hayden, E Murphy, D Markham (0-1); S Kelly, J Mulrooney; C Egan (1-3), J Bergin, S Dooley (1-6, 1-5f); T Carroll (0-2), G Healion (0-1), C Gath. Sub: D Molloy (0-2) for J Mulrooney.
Pat Donegan. Signed out of respect for players and all involved with Offaly.

Kevin
All Star

Post by Kevin »

Slieve Bloom Man wrote:''Brady injury causing concern

Dublin's Tomas Brady
10 May 2011

Dublin full back Tomas Brady could miss the start of the Leinster SHC after injuring his knee during a club training session at the weekend.

The Na Fianna clubman underwent a scan yesterday - the results of which the Dublin management are still awaiting. There are fears that Brady suffered medial ligament damage which would rule him out of Dublin's Leinster SHC quarter-final against Offaly in Croke Park on May 29. Depending on the severity of the injury, he could be out of action for up to six weeks.

Brady was last night named in the Dublin team to face All-Ireland champions Tipperary in next Sunday's SH challenge at Athy, Co. Kildare, but his injury means he will not now feature in that game.

Dublin manager Anthony Daly is already planning for the championship opener without first-choice centre back Joey Boland, who is facing an eight-week layoff after suffering a shoulder injury in the NHL final win over Kilkenny, while team captain Stephen Hiney is out for the summer with a cruciate ligament injury. ''

Taken from Hoganstand.

Dublin's defence will definitely be a lot weaker if 3 of their first choice players are missing. Hiney def out for the year- we always knew that but if centre back Boland and full-back Brady are out it will provide an area of exploitation for Offaly. Boland and Brady are two of Dublin's best players. Dublin will also find it so difficult to get their heads right and not take Offaly for granted.
Dooley was stupid to polay practice match on weekend of club championship. However Limerick is a good challenge match for this weekend. Despite my lack of faith in Dooley, I really think Offaly will be close to beating Dublin.
Yep, they have a few who won't make it. I'm wondering how many of these reports we'll see over the next 2 weeks (real or imagined).

Brace yourself gang. I can see it printed already a few days before the game:

Shorthanded Dublin Wary of Dangerous Offaly

"Offaly are mighty come Championship time, they're the last team we'd like to see at this stage. To make matters worse we have more injured than fit. Its a dreadful situation. I think if we can stay close to them we might just be able to accomplish the task. There'll only be a point in it in the end, if that. Offaly have a proud tradition...la de da and so on and so forth.
Kevin Clancey. Signed out of respect for players and all involved with Offaly.

alltheway
Intermediate

Post by alltheway »

Plain of the Herbs wrote:We have to take this lineout with a pinch of salt, given that it seems Brian Carroll was in goal, but two things jump out.

Eanna Murphy was a panellist last year in his first year out of Minor, yet he was omitted from the panel for this year’s League and now he’s back again. Now I’ve no problem with the panel being open to players who are in form, but if Eanna Murphy was being developed properly surely he should have been retained on the panel with a view to his development as an inter-county hurler.

Now whether he should have been on the panel at such a young age last year is another thing, but he was, and if there was a logical plan in place to improve players then he should have been retained throughout. Brian Coughlan is another such player. Tom Carroll is on the panel this year in his first year out of Minor. Will he be there next year? Maybe, maybe not. But the best 19 year-old probably will. For a year.

Meanwhile David Kenny’s rehabilitation from injury remains hindered by constant matches when he really needs a period of rest. At least Belmont have spared him to a degree, using him in the full-forward line, though he made a big impression when moved to centre-forward for a quarter of an hour against Tullamore. The County team flogged him to death in defence for an entire League campaign.

Conor Gath is another name that jumps out. Just what the County needs – a right-hand-on-top cackhander. They haven’t had one of those since . . . since . . . oh, I can’t remember!

Joe Dooley is well into his fourth year in charge and I can’t think of a single hurler whose technique improved as a result of Dooley’s coaching. Most are just the same as they were when they joined the panel, or when Dooley took over (in the case of the longer-serving players). Shane Dooley is a notable exception and I’d say that’s as a result of his own hard work rather than anything else.

Dooley has placed much of his faith in Daniel Currams, who is no better a hurler now than he was when he was Minor. He still continues to tackle incorrectly, which got him sent off (correctly) against Galway last year.

I haven’t seen either of Kilcormac’s two matches this year – how big is Peter Healion now?

There’s no plan, there’s no strategy. It’s all going nowhere. But shure the League winners always lose the first round of the championship. And Offaly are due a win over Dublin. And Offaly won matches in Croke Park years ago. And it’ll be alright on the night.

Yea, RIGHT!
Offaly2010 wrote:Offaly: J Dempsey; S Egan, D Kenny, B Mulrooney; D Hayden, E Murphy, D Markham (0-1); S Kelly, J Mulrooney; C Egan (1-3), J Bergin, S Dooley (1-6, 1-5f); T Carroll (0-2), G Healion (0-1), C Gath. Sub: D Molloy (0-2) for J Mulrooney.
POTH, I normally enjoy your very informative posts and reports, and you are very accurate with dates, results etc. But some of your stuff lately has been very negative and harsh on certain clubs and individuals. May I ask what is a a right-hand-on-top cackhander'?? I, one who follows hurling all my life and knows all the lingo would be clueless as to describe what that is? If a cackhander is a player whose commitment to his club and his performances year in year out have shown how good a hurler he has proved to be when those around him weren't up to scratch at various stages, that Conor more than held his own and delivered against almost any hurler in the county, year in, year out. And for a man to be called back into a setup at 30 years of age, ready to give his all, and guaranteed to be as fit if not fitter than any current panelist. If that what a right hand on top cackhander is, then Conor Gath is guilty on all counts.

townman
All Star

Post by townman »

Plain of the Herbs wrote:We have to take this lineout with a pinch of salt, given that it seems Brian Carroll was in goal, but two things jump out.

Yea, RIGHT!
it was Eanna murphys own choice to leave the panel for the league as far as i know, he must have made himself available again so if he is back in

bracknaghboy
All Star

Post by bracknaghboy »

alltheway wrote: May I ask what is a a right-hand-on-top cackhander'??
Left handed.

faithfulman
Intermediate

Post by faithfulman »

alltheway wrote:POTH, I normally enjoy your very informative posts and reports, and you are very accurate with dates, results etc. But some of your stuff lately has been very negative and harsh on certain clubs and individuals. May I ask what is a a right-hand-on-top cackhander'??
Have to say i agree.and lets see where would we be without our so called "cackhanders"? Unless i'm mistaken a number of our county players are "cackhanders", Shane Dooley, Brian Carroll, Derek Molloy, Daniel Currams, David Franks, Del Morkan, while James Dempsey would be a left hand on top "cackhander". Some of our best players are clearly "cackhanders" so I can't see why you have to criticise Conor Gath.

With regards to the match, despite all the negativity coming from some quarters I think we have a great chance.
Uibh Fhaili Abu :wink:
He is so bad in goal he needs the net in front of him.

Plain of the Herbs
All Star

A cackhander would be one who favours his backhand when striking. This limitation causes problems when striking in tight spaces. A good defender will cop-on quick enough and the player is goosed. It also limits selections in that a RHOT backhander like Brian Carroll or Conor Gath will invariably be forced infield from the right wing to strike. If they are sited on the left side of the field they will be forced to the sideline with their back to goal.

It's not just the Offaly lads - Lar Corbett is one of the more prominent cackhanders. That necessitates his having to line out on the left side of the attack. Corbett simply can't run right-to-left. He missed a simple goal chance against Cork last year due to his one-sidedness. His being named hurler-of-the-year creates a big problem when trying to coax cackhanded kids to use their forehand - "shure if it's good enough for the hurler-of-the year . . ."

Have a look at the following links, a discussion on the old Clarehurlers site about the different types of hurlers. Very interesting, especially Arrigle's contributions.
Part 1 http://homepage.eircom.net/~LimerickNomad/004580.html
Part 2 http://homepage.eircom.net/~LimerickNomad/004580-2.html
Part 3 http://homepage.eircom.net/~LimerickNomad/004580-3.html
Part 4 http://homepage.eircom.net/~LimerickNomad/004580-4.html
alltheway wrote:POTH, I normally enjoy your very informative posts and reports, and you are very accurate with dates, results etc. But some of your stuff lately has been very negative and harsh on certain clubs and individuals. May I ask what is a a right-hand-on-top cackhander'?? I, one who follows hurling all my life and knows all the lingo would be clueless as to describe what that is? If a cackhander is a player whose commitment to his club and his performances year in year out have shown how good a hurler he has proved to be when those around him weren't up to scratch at various stages, that Conor more than held his own and delivered against almost any hurler in the county, year in, year out. And for a man to be called back into a setup at 30 years of age, ready to give his all, and guaranteed to be as fit if not fitter than any current panelist. If that what a right hand on top cackhander is, then Conor Gath is guilty on all counts.

corner back
All Star

Post by corner back »

POTH I think you are wrong. Is a cackhander not a guy who hurls with his weaker hand on top of the hurl like a golf grip, e.g joe cooney, jj delaney, possibly Corbett if he is right-handed? these guys can be in trouble on their weaker sides but have the advantage of catching with their strong hand. Lads like shane dooley, gath, etc just favour their backhands.
To echo some of the above sentiments, I usually enjoy your contributions and hope you keep them up but personal attacks on guys like healion, who cleaned up against Tullamore by the way, are cheap shots on an anonymous forum.

Plain of the Herbs
All Star

Will check it out, CB. I was always under the impression that a cackhander was one who favoured their backhand. Whether it is or it isn't, the practice still causes difficulties for the hurler.

Here's a link to another article on striking. http://www.kilkennycats.com/viewtopic.p ... 92&p=65760
corner back wrote:POTH I think you are wrong. Is a cackhander not a guy who hurls with his weaker hand on top of the hurl like a golf grip, e.g joe cooney, jj delaney, possibly Corbett if he is right-handed? these guys can be in trouble on their weaker sides but have the advantage of catching with their strong hand. Lads like shane dooley, gath, etc just favour their backhands.

alltheway
Intermediate

Post by alltheway »

Sure, who cares what way they hit it if there throwing over points for Offaly!

old yellar
All Star

Post by old yellar »

My thinking on the cackhander, is a lad who catches the ball in say his right hand all the time, and then puts his right hand on the top of the hurl when striking. It means that off their weak side their strike is poor and awkward looking. Also it means the choke the hurl short when going up to catch it. This can leave them open as the hurl isn't in the right position to protect them.

Plain of the Herbs
All Star

That's what they call 'gripchanging'. KIlkenny's Aidan Fogarty would be the prime example of that.
old yellar wrote:My thinking on the cackhander, is a lad who catches the ball in say his right hand all the time, and then puts his right hand on the top of the hurl when striking. It means that off their weak side their strike is poor and awkward looking. Also it means the choke the hurl short when going up to catch it. This can leave them open as the hurl isn't in the right position to protect them.

Plain of the Herbs
All Star

Well if they had more options, by dint of having a full range of strokes, then they might score much more. And I care, to answer the question. It bothers the Bejaysus out of me that Brian Carroll spent 5 (or 6?) years in St Kieran's College and still only began to use his forehand after he left school.
alltheway wrote:Sure, who cares what way they hit it if there throwing over points for Offaly!