U21 hurling championship..

A forum to air your views on Offaly GAA matters and beyond.
old yellar
All Star

U21 hurling championship..

Post by old yellar »

Just heard that St rynaghs are hurling St malachys tomorrow in champ. Intersting to hear that they will have a few Belmont lads and a new Galway import on board. Interesting to hear that. I know the Belmont lads had to hurl somewhere given that lusmagh wanted to plough on along- fair play to them, but amazed that rynaghs took them in given they surely have enough young lads of their own to fight for places.. Curious to hear your thoughts.. Also I didn't realise the transfer caused a bit of a stir that wasn't mentioned here unlike the one in rhode..

Plain of the Herbs
All Star
Club: Lusmagh

Re: U21 hurling championship..

Post by Plain of the Herbs »

Ah, yes, the Non Resident. Not the first. And certainly not the last.
old yellar wrote:Just heard that St rynaghs are hurling St malachys tomorrow in champ. Intersting to hear that they will have a few Belmont lads and a new Galway import on board. Interesting to hear that. I know the Belmont lads had to hurl somewhere given that lusmagh wanted to plough on along- fair play to them, but amazed that rynaghs took them in given they surely have enough young lads of their own to fight for places.. Curious to hear your thoughts.. Also I didn't realise the transfer caused a bit of a stir that wasn't mentioned here unlike the one in rhode..
Pat Donegan. Signed out of respect for players and all involved with Offaly.

old yellar
All Star

Post by old yellar »

That was only one part of my comment! Do you feel itsright for the others up hurl there or should they have gone to the brosna Gaels. Mix? What do the rynaghs men think? If you can field 3 adult teams do you need more?

old yellar
All Star

Post by old yellar »

And I obviously forgot to ask about what's happening with Belmont? Are ferbane contributing at all or many?

thecornerback
Junior C

Post by thecornerback »

With regards to the Belmont lads hurling with Rynagh's, they were left out on their own with no team to play with after Lusmagh decided to go alone, the lads looked to play with Rynagh's as they went to school in Banagher and would have known all the players on the team. Rynaghs were in no position to turn them down as it would be unfair to leave the 3 lads without u21 hurling for the year but would have had no issue stepping aside and allowing them to hurl with another club if one had objected or looked to have them. Of course Rynaghs would have had enough players on their own without taking the 3 Belmont lads and it is unfortunate that 1 or 2 of their own players will be left on a bench to accomodate them but when the lads wanted to play there and nobody either objected or looked for them to play with another club then the right thing to do was to take them on board.

And on the point of the lad from Galway, well he has spent every day for the last 3 years, even when he was still playing in Galway, in the hurling field in Banagher. He has friends in there and there is a house in Banagher in which he spends most of his time. Again Rynaghs did not recruit him, he looked to play with them and would have sat the year out without hurling if the transfer wasnt awarded.

Bazil Brush
Junior A

Re: Club Championship Draw

Post by Bazil Brush »

Who is the player in question and what club did he come from?

old yellar
All Star

Post by old yellar »

Oh I know no club would refuse players and obviously no one wants lads to miss out in an opportunity to hurl. Does it mean rynaghs had to change the team name for this grade or anything? I know the young lad wasn't recruited by the club. He has gone to school there for 5/6 years. Just heard it wasn't his own Galway club that made the objection, but lusmagh.

faithfulman
Intermediate

Post by faithfulman »

thecornerback wrote: And on the point of the lad from Galway, well he has spent every day for the last 3 years, even when he was still playing in Galway, in the hurling field in Banagher. He has friends in there and there is a house in Banagher in which he spends most of his time. Again Rynaghs did not recruit him, he looked to play with them and would have sat the year out without hurling if the transfer wasnt awarded.
Regardless he doesnt live in banagher,never has and has no family in banagher so why is he hurling with them?
old yellar wrote:Oh I know no club would refuse players and obviously no one wants lads to miss out in an opportunity to hurl. Does it mean rynaghs had to change the team name for this grade or anything? I know the young lad wasn't recruited by the club. He has gone to school there for 5/6 years. Just heard it wasn't his own Galway club that made the objection, but lusmagh.
Rynaghs did have to change name, think its rynaghs og now.from what ive hesrd i dont think it was just lusmagh but that his own club didnt want to sign the transfer and only did when told if the transfer didnt go through he wasnt going to hurl for the year and then be free next year to play with whoever next year
He is so bad in goal he needs the net in front of him.

Plain of the Herbs
All Star

The Lusmagh - Belmont fall-out goes back to last year. The two were combined at Minor hurling. Ferbane wouldn't release the leading players for the first round match and Lusmagh suffered a severe defeat. Shure you can't plan a campaign on that basis.

faithfulman
Intermediate

Post by faithfulman »

old yellar wrote:Just heard that St rynaghs are hurling St malachys tomorrow in champ. Intersting to hear that they will have a few Belmont lads and a new Galway import on board. Interesting to hear that. I know the Belmont lads had to hurl somewhere given that lusmagh wanted to plough on along- fair play to them, but amazed that rynaghs took them in given they surely have enough young lads of their own to fight for places.. Curious to hear your thoughts.. Also I didn't realise the transfer caused a bit of a stir that wasn't mentioned here unlike the one in rhode..
From what im after hearing rynaghs could have done with a few more imports against malachys today!

Plain of the Herbs
All Star

The Parish Rule

People can’t hurl, or kick football for that matter, with who they like. There is a Parish Rule in place to protect the Parish ethos of the GAA, so that there is a GAA club in every parish in the country.

There is a danger (as there was in the 1990s when a club saw fit to import all around them) that this could be the thin end of the wedge, that would end up in a free-for-all, where the best players would all join the best clubs. The upshot would be that there would only be 4 clubs in the county, like rugby, as the rest would be unviable due to lack of interest as well as shortage of numbers.

The Parish Rule needs to be protected for the GAA to continue to thrive in the current difficult times we live in.

old yellar
All Star

Post by old yellar »

Plain, what do you mean by that comment on parish rule? The Belmont lads surely must have got county board clearance for that move? Heard the lost by a point but could have won had the made a few changes.. Academic so for this year!

Plain of the Herbs
All Star

I wasn't referring to Belmont / Rynagh's. Link-ups of clubs are quite commonplace in our county at U21 level, in fact. Birr Parish join up, so do Shinrone & Ballyskenagh and Clareen & Drumcullen, for example. I've no problem with that.
old yellar wrote:Plain, what do you mean by that comment on parish rule? The Belmont lads surely must have got county board clearance for that move? Heard the lost by a point but could have won had the made a few changes.. Academic so for this year!

danandmollys
Junior C
Club: KK

Post by danandmollys »

they could have done with a few more young lads from galway.....what club did he come from???

faithfulman
Intermediate

Post by faithfulman »

danandmollys wrote:they could have done with a few more young lads from galway.....what club did he come from???
Meelick/eyrecourt