Offaly Hurling Panel 2011

A forum to air your views on Offaly GAA matters and beyond.
Lone Shark
All Star
Club: Ferbane

Re: Offaly Hurling Panel 2011

Post by Lone Shark »

I don't know if I necessarily agree with this. In other counties, where there is a strong tradition of gym work and of continuing to develop as an athlete, then I'd say fair enough, but in Offaly, there is a tendency to forget about all that unless you're in training with the county - very few other clubs, or players for that matter, work to the same standard on their own.

It's no coincidence that Shane Dooley has become as prominent as he has when he has worked like a demon to get to a stage where he can match his markers physically, and thus let his hurling win out from that point onwards. Any 25 year old hurlers in Offaly who were doing this would have been called into the county panel long ago.
Kevin Egan. Signed out of respect for players and all involved with Offaly.

Greenwhiteandgold
Intermediate

Post by Greenwhiteandgold »

Lone Shark wrote:I don't know if I necessarily agree with this. In other counties, where there is a strong tradition of gym work and of continuing to develop as an athlete, then I'd say fair enough, but in Offaly, there is a tendency to forget about all that unless you're in training with the county - very few other clubs, or players for that matter, work to the same standard on their own.

It's no coincidence that Shane Dooley has become as prominent as he has when he has worked like a demon to get to a stage where he can match his markers physically, and thus let his hurling win out from that point onwards. Any 25 year old hurlers in Offaly who were doing this would have been called into the county panel long ago.
I think calling lads in on the panel hinders the development of the under 21s which hinders development of the senior team in the long run. Some lads are called into the senior panel at 18 and expected to be excellent for the u21s and we have seen that this often dosent happen. It is important to build an u21 team first like the way clare did,as many lads have now stepped onto the seniors after winning an u21 all-ireland, but i obviously think it is no harm for the young lads to be training with the seniors and bulking up, but they must be training with the u21s week in week out to get a balanced team.

backofthenet
All Star

Post by backofthenet »

Lone Shark wrote:I don't know if I necessarily agree with this. In other counties, where there is a strong tradition of gym work and of continuing to develop as an athlete, then I'd say fair enough, but in Offaly, there is a tendency to forget about all that unless you're in training with the county - very few other clubs, or players for that matter, work to the same standard on their own.It's no coincidence that Shane Dooley has become as prominent as he has when he has worked like a demon to get to a stage where he can match his markers physically, and thus let his hurling win out from that point onwards. Any 25 year old hurlers in Offaly who were doing this would have been called into the county panel long ago.
Well that is a point, most clubs or individual club players dont put enough emphasis on gym work. This is beginning to change at club level. Also this is happening due to two factors i feel
1. You dont need that extra gym work to compete well at club level
2. Sheer ignorance, if you do gym work without knowing exactly the right programme for you, you can end up going backwards
That is why 25+ is a great time to get called in. Most have done college, so their great drinking days are mostly over and generally mind themselves a little better, they have the sense to know that their career will be over in 5-7 years and know that a chance with offaly wont be offered to them on a plate.
On Shane Dooley he certainly raised the bar in offaly, his speed is a great asset, but I think rather than his gym work, it is his skill work and ball work that has got him to where he is. He obviously practises frees and shooting quite a bit as he is lethal. This is something I have been lamenting about offaly for some time. We should have someone in the forwards that can put the ball between the posts from a sideline nine times out of ten, a good free taker (we have now) and competent line balls from the backline. All the other top teams have this and it can be a difference of 3-4 points a game which would bring us a lot closer to them.

Long John
All Star

Post by Long John »

Lads, I think people get carried away with this gym work will solve everything idea. Its a part of sport without question but the gym work has to be "sport specific". All the bench pressing and curling exercises are useless for gaelic games. Functional strenght is where the emphasis should be placed and in particular plyometrics. Thats where alot of players are clueless, they do all these useless exercises in relation to their sport. This is not rugby.

Why Shane Dooley is been used as an example here I cant understand, he's not this super conditioned athlete that ye are making him out to be. He is naturally a big enough lad with very good skills, theres no magic formula to what he has, its not all mad gym work like you say. Lets not get carried away by this myth.

You'll see plenty of big muscled men in gyms that cant run for 5 minutes, they are walking heart attacks waiting to happen. My point is, endurance, speed, agility and functional strenght are the main ingredients needed. And if you cant produce the skills on the field under pressure then it all counts for zero.

Plain of the Herbs
All Star
Club: Lusmagh

Post by Plain of the Herbs »

It looked to me like Brian Carroll contested the toss before the challenge match against Limerick last Saturday.
GreatDayForTheParish wrote:Any word on who the captain is?

One of either Franks, Hanniffy or Kenny would be my choice.
Pat Donegan. Signed out of respect for players and all involved with Offaly.

tipptopper25
Junior A

Post by tipptopper25 »

No mention of Brendan Murphy as part of the 2011 panel. Is he retired/injured? He is a very useful player.