Offaly Hurling Panel 2011

A forum to air your views on Offaly GAA matters and beyond.
offalygael2010
Junior C

Offaly Hurling Panel 2011

Post by offalygael2010 »

Hi lads just curious if anyone knows of senior hurling panel for 2011. I know the ban stops teams from training until January but im presuming the panel has been formed and that guys have received gym programmes.any1 know of the panel for 2011? whos in and whos out? obviosuly ger oakley and brian mullins are gone from 2010 panel.off the top of my head theres not really anyone who i can think of that should be added to panel,well no one that stands out anyway but im sure theres afew changes..id be very grateful if any1 knows of 2011 panel that they would post it here,i love to hear of new players coming through,always excites me when panel has been formed,gets me thinking of the year ahead!! thanks

tipptopper25
Junior A

Re: Offaly Hurling Panel 2011

Post by tipptopper25 »

I hear ollie Ryan of ballyskenach was called up and a young lad from riverstown (not too sure of his name) but the rest if the panal is the same.

kinnittyman
All Star

Post by kinnittyman »

Tipptopper you are way off. Trials are ongoing with about 8 to 10 spots up for grabs as far as I know, the core of last years relevant panel are still all included.

Fargo Boyle
All Star

Post by Fargo Boyle »

This winter ban has become more and more complicated. What are the exact dates of this ban? Who is policing it, sure the dog in the street knows what is happening.

Having talked to a few people in the know they seem to say that the teams are just training under different guises such as boxing training and gym work and the like.

And does anyone really know the sense in it all anyway because the ban was put in place to protect young adult players from suffering burnout before they reach their full maturity. But most of these younger inter county players are playing with colleges and universities anyway so there seems to be little sense in it. Lets just call a spade a spade and let the lads train over the winter if they like.

Personally I think it is a waste of time as you need to peak in July or August and not at some league match in March.

bracknaghboy
All Star

Post by bracknaghboy »

Not sure Fargo how its policed but I believe counties caught in the act face having their National League gate monies withheld. We only get a few hundred at league games so perhaps we could afford to sacrifice the cash!

townman
All Star

Post by townman »

After watching this years club championship theres not many players that would jump out at you
it will be much the same panel as last year with oakley and breeder gone.

Coolderry as county winners will have the same face's that have been there for the last 7 year's
young kevin connolly should get a run he would be the only new face thats worth a run on the panel
any word on Horan coming back or is he still state side, plus Connor Mahon would be a big plus if he stays around
its hard on young lads to stay in this country now.

Bazil Brush
Junior A

Post by Bazil Brush »

Im not 100% of the actual panel but i know theres 34 doin gym work at the moment,There cutting it to 30 at the end of janurary, theres a nice few lads after been called in, Colin Egan Paul Bermingham Peter Healion Tom Carroll Brian Mulrooney Kevin Connolly Kevin Waters Gary Connelly and i think Conor Gath,Dont know bout mahon or horan what there doin but they"d be serious additions.

townman
All Star

Post by townman »

Bazil Brush wrote:Im not 100% of the actual panel but i know theres 34 doin gym work at the moment,There cutting it to 30 at the end of janurary, theres a nice few lads after been called in, Colin Egan Paul Bermingham Peter Healion Tom Carroll Brian Mulrooney Kevin Connolly Kevin Waters Gary Connelly and i think Conor Gath,Dont know bout mahon or horan what there doin but they"d be serious additions.
out of the name's you gave there tom carroll is the one to watch if he bothers his arse he has the talent to make it
gary connelly is another player that might make he is a bit hot headed seen him sent off for offaly minors again kildare
a few year's ago wonder where he got that from :P

Long John
All Star

Post by Long John »

Jesus lads those names wouldnt inspire a massive amount of confidence.

Have to agree with Townman, there is very little talent coming through after watching this years championship. Colin Egan maybe would be the best option of that lot. Conor Gath was there for many years throughout the last decade but never established a permanent championship start. His best performance was probably scoring 3 or 4 points off Mark Foley in a qualifier if memory serves correct. The other players named are miles upon miles away from intercounty standard, I wouldnt even say there great club hurlers.

Why has Stephen Brown fallen away so much. He was one of the most talented players the county produced before disappearing off the county scene and only sporadically producing good displays for Birr. Him and Dylan Hayden I thought would make exceptional forwards but neither have fulfilled the potential. Dylan Hayden has hurled well at half back but id really like to see him given plenty of opportunity in corner forward and try develop him there.

Coolderry outside whats already there have not got anybody really who strikes me as county standard. Maybe Connolly in a couple of years.

Tullamore have had Dooley, Keane and Kelly in there. I think Benny Dagg and Jody Duffy have been massive players for them but really should of got brought in a few years ago as both are over 30 now. Dagg maybe still might offer something for a few years. These are the players that have stood out in the championship and thats what im basing it on.

Anybody got a full list of the panel thats there now?

offalygael2010
Junior C

Post by offalygael2010 »

Here`s a list of players on 2010 panel that will be part of 2011 panel

(Goalkeepers)
James Dempsey (kinnitty)
Eoin Kelly (lusmagh)

(Backs)
Stephen Egan(tullamore)
David Kenny (Belmont)
Paul Cleary (Birr)
Micheal Verney (Birr)
Kevin Brady (coolderry)
Derek Morkan (Shinrone)
Stephen Wynne (St. rynaghs)
James Rigney(Kinnitty)

(MIDFIELD)
Connor Mahon (KK)
Dylan Hayden (Birr)
Shane Kelly (Tullamore)
Rory Hanniffy (Birr)

(Forwards)
Shane Dooley (Tullamore)
Brian Carroll (Coolderry)
Joe Brady (Coolderry)
Daniel Currams (kk)
Joe Bergin (Seir Kieran)
Derek Molloy (Shamrocks)
Cathal Parlon(Coolderry)
Odhran Kealey (Kinnitty)
Ger Healion (KK)
James Mulrooney(Seir Kieran)

DOUBTFUL
David Franks
Brendan Murphy

Out go
Brian Mullins
Ger Oakley
Eanna Murphy
Fergal Daly

New members that make up 34 man panel

Peter Healion
Kevin Connolly
Tom Carroll
Kevin Waters
Paul Bermingham
Garry Conneely
Colin Egan
Brian Mulrooney

Thats just a stab at it from what i have heard and what has already been posted here.....i dont envy them if they are training in this weather

Plain of the Herbs
All Star
Club: Lusmagh

Post by Plain of the Herbs »

Michael Cordial, Dermot Mooney and Mark Quinlan were also last year’s championship panel. All three were listed for the Limerick match in July.

Then again, Quinlan didn't make the Birr team when push came to shove.
Pat Donegan. Signed out of respect for players and all involved with Offaly.

townman
All Star

Post by townman »

Plain of the Herbs wrote:Michael Cordial, Dermot Mooney and Mark Quinlan were also last year’s championship panel. All three were listed for the Limerick match in July.

Then again, Quinlan didn't make the Birr team when push came to shove.
Mark Quinlan was on the Birr team this year :?

offalygael2010
Junior C

Post by offalygael2010 »

I couldn`t find a programme from last year so sorry about leaving out Mooney and Quinlan and Cordial. Im not sure if these players are included this year.
Quinlan was indeed on the birr team for the q/f against tullamore

alltheway
Intermediate

Post by alltheway »

One of the stranger panels in my pinion. The likes of Mark Morkan, Damien Muray, Conor Gath, Micheal Cordial etc, must feel very aggrieved at
the current situation. I'm not saying that these players will prove the key to winning a leinster championship or anything,
and there are those that will say they have been tried etc., in the past, but, in my humble opinion, they have been some of the most consistent, standout palyers
for their clubs in the previous year, and it must seriously question their motivation to make a count panel/team, when they see (no disrespect) the likes of Kevin Wathers ( 2 Championship Games), Paul Bermingham, away most of the summer, Tom Carroll, not even the standout player over the U21 grade at club level this year, along with both Mulrooneys, Conneeley, and a few who make up the panel. I feel, from having attended most club games around about, that while the standard might not be that to challenge KK, Tipp et al., I do not feel that this is the best 30+ that we have to offer at the present moment. I wonder why this is, and also what other contributors feel about this? I know some will feel that 'Faith should be put in the youth;, but I feel if we continue in the vein of 'We are a young team in transition' and use the excuse that we have 9-15 current U21 graded players on the panel and that they bode well for the future, we will continue to cod ourselves and noone else. I feel strongly that clubs should campaign for their own players as having a mediocre club team does not mean that some individual players have not something to add to the cause. If each club were to nominate their two most cosistent players throughout the season, coupled with those that would be considered serious County panel Material within Offaly. Ill give my two cents....

Birr: Dylan Hayden, Paul Cleary
Belmont: David Kenny, Alan Egan
Coolderry: Joe Brady, Brian Carroll
Clareen: Joe Bergin, Sean Coughlan
Drumcullen: Conor Gath, John Cashin
Lusmagh: Eoin Kelly, Eoin Quinlan
Shamrocks: Derek Molloy, Nigel Dunne
Shinrone: Michael Cordial, Mark Morkan
K/K: James Gorman, Peter Healion
Tullamore: Brendan Dagg, Shane Dooley
St. Rynaghs: Cathal Horan, Ger Scales
Kinnitty: James Dempsey, James Rigney
Ballinamere: Stephen Weir, Emmet Molloy,
Brosna Gaels: Des Egan, Chris Mc Donald

I am not saying that is the County panel that should be for the coming year but I feel they are the two best/ most consistent hurlers for their club over the last championship year. Those, plus Rory Hanniffy, Paul Cleary, Mak Egan, Damien Murray, Trevor Corcoran, Kevin Connoolly, Adrian Hynes, Harry Ryan, Alan Kelly, Brian Kearney, Ger Healion, Dan Currams, Diarmuid Horan, Odhran Kealey, Stephen Molloy, Cathal Parlon,Kevin Brady, David Franks, Del Morkan etc, and feel free to add/ subtract from that if i have left anyon out withouth last years panel to hand. I feel the problem with panels iis, because we dont hurl though the summer, we end up picking players for the new season based on the previos calender years performances, players who through no fault of their own might currently be out of form. For the love of***** Hurling, would we as a county not be better served to play off our championship as close as humanly possibl eto club games and pcik, or call to a panel the imediate standout players that show up in running during the 'summer' period.

Bazil Brush
Junior A

Post by Bazil Brush »

In fairness Mark Quinlan was a regular for birr this year and hurled top class one of there best performers he can definatley feel hard done by, the same could be said for Diggy Cordial he hurled all his opponents up a stick this year gave some serious displays, Picking new players from trials on a shitty pitch in november is crazy anyway. the manager and selectors had enough matches to view these players in august and september in the heat of championship battle,