Rhode vs Clara Offaly SFC Final 2010

A forum to air your views on Offaly GAA matters and beyond.
concrete
Junior A

Re: Rhode vs Clara Offaly SFC Final 2010

Post by concrete »

the chap is a different breed of a a footballer altogether

Lone Shark
All Star
Club: Ferbane

Post by Lone Shark »

First up congratulations to Rhode and commiserations to Clara - that was a very engaging game between two committed teams, and while there were mistakes, they were as much due to the intensity of the tackling as anything else.

My gut feeling before the game was that Clara were maybe a point or two the better side, but that a mistake, or a bounce of the ball, could be the difference, and so it proved. Clara foostered getting the ball out of defence in the first half, got dispossessed and Anton Sullivan finished a very handy goal. That's not to say that Rhode's win wasn't deserved, but games turn on these incidents and that was the only real giveaway score of the game.

Whatever about his ability to make a succinct point while speaking, you'd have to feel privileged to watch Niall McNamee play football at times. He's simply an gifted all round footballer and to say he was the difference between the teams is not true - he was the difference between a narrow Rhode win and a substantial Clara victory. There simply isn't a defender in the county to match him, and oddly enough, perhaps the best way to play him is to know that you won't best him and try to manage the situation instead.

In the run up to the quarter final, once I heard that Colin Egan was to mark Niall, I was a little confused to say the least. In hindsight I'd have to praise our management - it made perfect sense. Colin was able to compete with Niall for the high ball, but if Niall got out in front and won it, Colin had the good sense to know that he wasn't going to be able to dispossess him. He stood off and made sure Niall never got inside him, and if the ball was kicked over the bar from thirty five yards out, so be it. The damage was limited and it nearly worked out.

John Ledwith and Joe Quinn are better defenders than Colin in the purest sense, but imagine if either of those lads had backed off for either of Niall's goals, instead of diving in? We'd have different county champions now, I suspect.

The other side of that coin is that right now, Rhode seem more dependant on Niall than they ever were. Paschal Kelleghan played a few balls forward, Paraic Sullivan won a couple of dirty balls, Niall Darby kicked a few decent frees, but no-one else for Rhode stood out for me. The battle between John Reynolds and Shane Sullivan was good but you couldn't say that either man won out, while Brian Darby wasn't really tested that much in that Tommo rarely had a ball to fight for. If someone had been told that Niall was the only county player Rhode had, instead of one of several, there was no evidence to go against that. Rhode were flying in terms of fitness and supporting the man in possession, much better than Clara, which answered my question about the danger of overtraining, but individually they lacked inspiration from 1-14.

Which leads on to the real winning of the game, which for me was on the sideline - I really did not believe it possible that Pat Flanagan could lose the tactical battle as much as he did. I would be slow to suggest that either Flanagan or Coffey would be better than the other, but I would have said Coffey for man management and motivation, Flanagan for tactical adjustment and game management. That didn't happen at all today.

(1) As Bord na Mona man pointed out, it's all very well to try and pay respect to the opposition by saying things like you shouldn't focus on one forward, and that it's important to cut down the supply, but until the last minute, all Rhode scored from play was a volleyed goal which even so came from Niall's work. I'd say he won a load of the frees too - he was a one man show. Rather than moving around a variety of defenders on him, why in God's name would you not just double mark? Shut down their main outlet and let the lads up front work with one less forward.

(2) In the last few minutes, Clara forwards pulled back too far. You have to believe that your defence can do their job, and then your attack will be able to do theirs. Rhode funnelled extra men back in the closing stages, but Clara were trying to hit one man in the middle of four or five defenders, which is impossible. Since they had no one up when they did win the ball, they had to slow it up and run forward as a big unit - which led to lads like Alan Cronin taking a crucial shot at the end instead of any of their star forwards.

(3) Clara never seemed to target lads to draw frees. Rhode knew which players to go at to draw frees, while Clara never had a run at Paschal who has been known to tackle high, or James Coffey when he was on a yellow card, or Alan McNamee who can be sidestepped. In general Clara's tackling was vigorous, but too often it was wild and clumsy.

(4) The ball was not going into Tommo at all, and he's simply too good to leave him rot in there. He, and Guilfoyle, needed to be moved around to bring them into the game. Towards the end Tommo was nominally playing half forward but it was so crowded out there that he ended up drifting. That move needed to be earlier, and then switch him back in onto a different marker.

Anyway, well done Rhode and hopefully they'll make good on Niall's promise to bring Leinster success home.
Kevin Egan. Signed out of respect for players and all involved with Offaly.

Long John
All Star

Post by Long John »

Well done to Rhode on their victory, I think its very fair that they have claimed the title as man for man they were and are a better team than Clara. Their form coming into the final was questionable after a poor display against Ferbane and a stuttering 50 minutes against Shamrocks. Yesterday was no different, I still feel if Rhode were to play at their best and Clara were to play at theirs that Rhode would win by a comfortable margin. One point between them was very little and Rhodes missed chances in first half nearly cost them for the second year. They missed some awful chances in the first half that could have sunk Clara alot earlier. To be fair to them they showed alot of character in the second half to outplay Clara against the wind.

Some people are saying Clara needed to double team Niall Mac. For me if they had, the result would have been greater. The likes of Darby and Anton Sullivan would have caused alot more havoc than they did. Having said that, James Coffey was terrible again for Rhode and was one of their weak links.

Clara battled very hard, had a game plan to disrupt Rhode with alot of off the ball pulling and dragging and bring it down to a dog fight and hope that space would open up for them as game whore on. Deehan had to come too deep and he is their main man. Reynolds for a county man likes the handy ball put on a plate for him too much and new county player Guilfoyle struggled to get into the game as Rhode smoothered up the space. All in all, I think the better team won. They will need to up it alot for leinster championship to have any chance and hope to get Alan McNamee back to full fitness.

The Magpie
All Star

Post by The Magpie »

Well, this morning I don't have the will to write a report. Perhaps, as Robbie Williams would suggest, I only sing when we're winning :!:

Firstly, congratulations to Rhode. Secondly, I think both sets of players should be respected for two things:

a) Providing a great, exciting county final
b) Keeping their discipline in a clean game - very easily, this could've been the opposite.

For my part, there's little to add to what BNMM and LS have said. Although Clara were not firing on all cylinders at all, they very easily could've won this game. More than anything, it was lost on the line. For the last 7-8 minutes of the first-half, Clara brought a player back to sit in front of Niall McNamee. Despite causing havoc up to that point, he didn't touch the ball between then and the whistle for the end of the half. The spare man doesn't even need to touch the ball - his presence is enough to make players think twice before kicking it in. Anyway, not at any other point in the match, did Clara consider an anti-Niall tactic. The real time to do it was 10 minutes into the second-half. Clara had just gone two points ahead (1-7, 2-2) and Rhode had been limited to only 4 scores. With that lead, Clara were naive. They only needed to hold it tight for a small number of minutes and the alarm bells would've started to ring for Rhode. With the next ball in, Niall had only one thing on his mind. Another super goal. This only gave Rhode a one-point lead, but completely took the wind out of Clara - Rhode had scored only 5 times, but were ahead. I knew when Rhode had scored 3 goals that Clara would need 2 - it was inevitable that they would tag on a few points with those 3 goals. When Clara's second goal did come, it was too late.

For me, this was a glaring tactical mistake. However, other less obvious tactical battles were lost.
- Paschal Keelaghan pulled Matt Mitchell into the Clara full-back line for most of the first-half, completely negating the attacking threat that Mitchell offers.
- John Ledwith started the match marking Niall McNamee.

What surprised me more than anything, was, as much as I expected Rhode to isolate Niall Mc, their other forwards offered so little. Paschal Keelaghan and Anton Sullivan are really good footballers - they're too good to act as extra defenders. I think if Rhode had more confidence in their backs, these guys would be playing further up the field and doing damage. Overall, people will correctly argue that they did what they had to do (they won), but the risk is this - the one day Niall has a quiet/bad day at the office, you're beat.

Finally to the star of the show. Niall McNamee is such a good footballer. I really do curse the fact that he's so young. For as long as he's around, Rhode will compete almost every year for a Dowling Cup. Yesterday, he made-up his mind that he was going to run at his marker. When he did, the speed of his twists, turns and dummy solos was just too much - his two goals were superb and typical, inimitable Niall.

For all the tactical mistakes and other mistakes (on both sides), Clara might well have snatched a draw at the end. I don't think they deserved it. Over the course of the last two county finals, consider this:

Rhode 4-18
Clara 4-18

It's hard to argue that both of these teams didn't deserve to win one-each.

On to next year now, it will take a collapse by either of these teams, or a considerable improvement elsewhere in the County, to see beyond Rhode or Clara.
The Dog chases the Car....the Car stops....the Dog can't Drive!

Bord na Mona man
All Star
Club: Clara

Post by Bord na Mona man »

Mighty Quinn shows true heart a year after mystery illness put him in coma

By Eoghan MacConnell

Monday October 11 2010

HIS team lost the county football final yesterday, but even the opposition captain agreed that Joe Quinn was the real winner.

Just over a year ago, he was in a coma and on a life- support machine after his heart stopped for a full 15 minutes due to a mystery illness.

Yesterday, he lined out at full-back for Clara in the Offaly senior football final against Rhode, which Clara lost by a point.

Fellow Clara man Taoiseach Brian Cowen described the 26-year-old as a "great footballer" and an "inspirational figure".

Twelve months ago, the University of Limerick sports science graduate was playing football for Offaly when he was hit by the illness. He was also in the process of setting up his business, Advanced Sports Performance Ireland, which provides training for sports teams and individuals.

"The team mates have been top class. When I came back the support I got off them was incredible," he said. "The people in Clara, they are second to none, always asking how you are."

http://www.independent.ie/national-news ... 73659.html

Bord na Mona man
All Star

The Magpie wrote:More than anything, it was lost on the line. For the last 7-8 minutes of the first-half, Clara brought a player back to sit in front of Niall McNamee. Despite causing havoc up to that point, he didn't touch the ball between then and the whistle for the end of the half. The spare man doesn't even need to touch the ball - his presence is enough to make players think twice before kicking it in. Anyway, not at any other point in the match, did Clara consider an anti-Niall tactic. The real time to do it was 10 minutes into the second-half. Clara had just gone two points ahead (1-7, 2-2) and Rhode had been limited to only 4 scores. With that lead, Clara were naive.
I wonder does the wind affect the mindset of the team more than it does the flight of the ball?

When Clara conceded the first half turnover goal, were the players overly mindful of trying to kill the flow of the game by holding onto possession into the wind?
Also, when Clara went in at half time having only conceded 2-1, was there too much of feeling that the ground work was done and that the handbrake could be taken off for the 2nd half - hence not starting the 2nd half doubling up on Niall McNamee?

The worst part of the 2nd half was that no other Rhode forward was required to take on the scoring burden. If I remember correctly, Rhode didn't hit any 2nd half wides - because their lesser forwards were never made take on the shooting responsibility. In the first half they got one point from about 10 pots at the posts, when everyone was having a go.

Anyway, bursht. Rhode were worth it in the end. They're due a rub of the green in Leinster also, as they really should have nailed a couple of Leinster titles by now!

Lone Shark
All Star
Club: Ferbane

Post by Lone Shark »

Long John wrote:Well done to Rhode on their victory, I think its very fair that they have claimed the title as man for man they were and are a better team than Clara. Their form coming into the final was questionable after a poor display against Ferbane and a stuttering 50 minutes against Shamrocks. Yesterday was no different, I still feel if Rhode were to play at their best and Clara were to play at theirs that Rhode would win by a comfortable margin. One point between them was very little and Rhodes missed chances in first half nearly cost them for the second year. They missed some awful chances in the first half that could have sunk Clara alot earlier. To be fair to them they showed alot of character in the second half to outplay Clara against the wind.

Some people are saying Clara needed to double team Niall Mac. For me if they had, the result would have been greater. The likes of Darby and Anton Sullivan would have caused alot more havoc than they did. Having said that, James Coffey was terrible again for Rhode and was one of their weak links.

Clara battled very hard, had a game plan to disrupt Rhode with alot of off the ball pulling and dragging and bring it down to a dog fight and hope that space would open up for them as game whore on. Deehan had to come too deep and he is their main man. Reynolds for a county man likes the handy ball put on a plate for him too much and new county player Guilfoyle struggled to get into the game as Rhode smoothered up the space. All in all, I think the better team won. They will need to up it alot for leinster championship to have any chance and hope to get Alan McNamee back to full fitness.
I can't say I'd agree with this. These two teams have played three competitive games in the last twelve months and all three were decided by a point. If they were to play again next week you'd have to say that another close game would be highly likely. Of course Rhode deserved their title, but the idea that they'd win by a comfortable margin if both sides were playing to their peak doesn't sit well with with me.

Secondly, To say Reynolds wants handy ball is very unfair. I wouldn't say that it was handy ball he got yesterday and he was marking a good, tough defender in Shane Sullivan. Sullivan won his share of ball but Reynolds scored three from play and won a couple of frees - that's good going against a county defender. It's better than any of the Rhode attackers (Niall Mac excepted obviously) did against lesser-rated defenders at other end.

The idea that Anton and Niall Darby would have cut loose if Niall was double teamed makes no sense to me either. Neither of these two lads are on form at the moment. Anton finished two goals in the last two games but both scores left him with not much to do, and he hasn't done anything outside of that. Niall Darby finished a few nice points against Shamrocks but he's not taking players out of the game and creating scores himself right now. Both these lads are highly talented footballers who are capable of much more, I'm not trying to run them down, but to say that they would have cause "more havoc" if Niall was double marked doesn't hold water. To be honest I didn't see either of them cause any "havoc" yesterday.
Kevin Egan. Signed out of respect for players and all involved with Offaly.

Laoisman
Junior C

Post by Laoisman »

No question thaat Rhode deserved their win but I couldn't believe the tactical naievity of the Clara management. Starting their 6 forward in different to normal positions only served to confuse their own path to goals and mix up their decision making. They started with an indifference which smacked of over-confidence and lacked clinical finishing, I was particularily disappointed by Gilly who I rate highly - he will have to learn that he has to focus, play for the hour and develop agression when not in possession. Of course you could say same about Rhode at the other end. However there i no doubt that Rhode more than previous years are overly dependent on Niall McNamee whereas Clara have better overall balance to their team. While Mark Dunne was solid more than eye catching his availability meant that Shane Sullivan was released to shore up the back which he did brilliantly. I don't believe Rhde would have won without this.
Lastly I am watching Niall McNamee about 9 years now and he is without doubt in the top three forwards in the game and unmarkable by a single player in Offaly. In 5 of the last 6 county finals now I watch teams going out with their managements attitude that he is only one player and their normal no 2 is deputised to pick him up - I cannot for the life of me understand this. When this has happended he ends up isolated on one player and inevitably wins the game often single handedly. Let there be no doubt that the ONLY way to handle him is this: the opposing team picks a defender good at marking space atcorner forward, identify a player on the other team who is poor with ball in hand and let him wander free to be picked up where possible by a wingforward dropping back. The 'corner forward' marks the space 20 yards in front of McNamee at all times and where the ball is kicked in over him drops back to pick the break or double teams McNamee if he gets possession. If this tactic was deployed there is no way he would have gotten two goals and I can't see where the scores would have come elsewhere. Rhode on the other hand got it tactically right and their greater hunger was also the deciding factor. I would guess the Clara lads on looking back would have much regrets that this was one they didn't perform to their potential.

bracknaghboy
All Star

Post by bracknaghboy »

Laoisman wrote: In 5 of the last 6 county finals now I watch teams going out with their managements attitude that he is only one player and their normal no 2 is deputised to pick him up - I cannot for the life of me understand this. When this has happended he ends up isolated on one player and inevitably wins the game often single handedly.
All very true Laoisman. When dealing with an exceptional player teams are only fooling themselves thinking they can ignore him and line out as normal. He won far too many balls on Sunday....Clara really made no effort to curb him.

Long John
All Star

Post by Long John »

Lone Shark I hear what your saying but I still disagree.

For starters yes there has been very little between Rhode and Clara in the last 2 years. But on Sunday the final score flattered Clara in my opinion a little. A consolation goal in injury time and Rhode kicking the game away in the first half. I just think Rhode had far too much for everything Clara could throw at them.

Yes Reynolds kicked a few scores but who did the work, drew his marker away from him and left him with the handy shot to finish off. That he will do, take a score but I question his guts and will to win a dirty ball. Countless times Sullivan swept up in the defence. He started numerous attacks for Rhode which ultimately cost Clara.

Now what I was saying about the likes of Darby or Anton. They are county footballers, in all honesty if they were left unmarked totally for a game do you honestly think they would cause no damage. Well if they couldnt then they should not be wearing an Offaly jersey. If Rhode were to leave Deehan, O' Hara, Guilfoyle or even Reynolds unmarked for a game they would surely do quiet a bit of damage. Tom Coffey is smarter than that and I am well sure he expected Clara to double up on Niall.

Bord na Mona man
All Star

Long John wrote: Now what I was saying about the likes of Darby or Anton. They are county footballers, in all honesty if they were left unmarked totally for a game do you honestly think they would cause no damage. Well if they couldnt then they should not be wearing an Offaly jersey. If Rhode were to leave Deehan, O' Hara, Guilfoyle or even Reynolds unmarked for a game they would surely do quiet a bit of damage. Tom Coffey is smarter than that and I am well sure he expected Clara to double up on Niall.
Jeepers, playing an extra man on Niall McNamee doesn't mean you leave the next best forward on the Rhode team unmarked!

You sacrifice a player from the other half of the field and re-align the team to try and minimise any gaps. You concede the advantage in the area of the field where the minimum of damage can be done.

Tie up the most dangerous scorers and have any chances fall to the James Coffeys and the Padraig Sullivans on the Rhode team.

townman
All Star

Post by townman »

you can put as many men on Niall McNamee as you like when hes on form he is one of the best in the country
i know its a team game but he bet clara on his own on sunday and has been doing that for year's now
and when you look back to the two leinster finals that Rhode lost it was because Niall had an off day.