Croke Park Presentation

A forum to air your views on Offaly GAA matters and beyond.
joe bloggs
All Star

Croke Park Presentation

Post by joe bloggs »

I see the GAA are once again trying to have its presentations for liam, sam etc on a podium on the pitch.
Some chance, i'd say Plan B will be called into action as usual. But it got me remeniscing about better days. I was just wondering when did the tradition die out of fans actually climbing out on to the pitchside before the final whistle so as to rush in and celebrate with the players as soon as the ref blew up.
I remember being on the Hill in 94 and the Limerick lads in front of us were making their way down to scale the fence, only for them to be met by us heading down as they turned back. Also i seem to rmember that the GAA were good enough in 98 to let us over the wire early even after the sit in against Clare.
So when did this tradition die out on All Ireland day?
'if your not part of the solution, your part of the problem' J. McClean

bracknaghboy
All Star

Re: Croke Park Presentation

Post by bracknaghboy »

Insurance, health and safety blah blah blah. All bull if you ask me. A person is as likely to get hurt going up or down one of them stairs in Croke Park than to be hurt on the pitch after a match (still the mentality is this country is to claim if you can so authoritites are nervous of taking risks). If Tipp win this on Sunday there will be no amount of stewards that will hold back the crowd.

Plain of the Herbs
All Star
Club: Lusmagh

Post by Plain of the Herbs »

The presentation was first made on the field in 1999. That continued in 2000, ’01 and ’02 and only ended when Armagh stormed the field when they won their first title in 2002. I suppose in the case of Armagh there was such a dam-burst of emotion after 30 years of helicopters etc. Wexford took the pyss invading the pitch in 2004 though, ending a mere seven year famine.

I’m going to go against the grain on this and say that spectators have no business on the field either before, during or after the match. Everyone gets to see the presentation when it takes place on the pitch, as opposed to in the stand when those on the Hogan side of the pitch can’t see it. Also, I think players should be allowed congratulate each other without being mobbed by every lúdramaun from their county who are strangers to the players but think they are the players' best friends.

In addition, losing players shouldn’t have to battle their way through the throng of winning supporters to get to the sanctuary of their dressing room either.

I suppose one of the more poignant All-Ireland moments was when DJ Carey got to have his photo taken with his kids during their lap of honour in 2002, which wouldn’t have happened had the entire county been out on the pitch at the time.

Just a thought.
Pat Donegan. Signed out of respect for players and all involved with Offaly.

TheManFromFerbane
All Star
Club: Ferbane

Post by TheManFromFerbane »

I see where you're coming from POTH. I was at the Dublin-Wexford final last year and the Wexford goalie was sprayed with water by a dub "fan" running onto the pitch. He had to be restrained from kicking the sh*te out of the prat which I thought was unfortunate considering that would have been worth the admission price alone.

So from that point of view and that point of view only I think it's a good idea. I hate insurance companies, I hate not letting kids out onto the fields at half time for health and safety reasons and most importantly I hate the attitude that if I fall over and scrape my knee I'll sue the organisers who should have provided me with knee pads going into the stadium.

I think it probably has to be done but it will make the whole thing a bit more sterile IMHO.
The night is darkest before the dawn

Bord na Mona man
All Star
Club: Clara

Post by Bord na Mona man »

I'd look after the players' concerns and that of the stadium before I'd pander to supporters.
80% of the people who end up on the field are big day out merchants and bandwaggoners anyway.
If the team had lost it wouldn't have unduly perturbed them, so long as they can still horse in a feed of pints!

I was recently looking at videos of Offaly's '97 Leinster football and '98 All Ireland hurling wins.
Some of the main backslappers and player lifters that day are fellas who have barely attended a match of any sort since. And would probably laugh at the prospect of doing so at the moment.

I was out on the field myself of course, basking in the reflected glory of it all, but I'd have no problem staying put in the stand.
I pay the entrance fee, but that doesn't entitle me to a free run of the stadium.

In Kings of September Richie Connor's account of the celebrations after 1982 are revealing.
At the banquet after, the players were flung around in the air by every yahoo and jackass in Offaly, over floors which were covered in broken glass and spilled drink.
I'd say if they were honest, every trophy winning player would rather celebrate in a more controlled environment than be manhandled by the masses.

Lone Shark
All Star
Club: Ferbane

Post by Lone Shark »

The more interesting question here is this - if you do decide to have a presentation on the field, then how far are you willing to go to prevent the pitch invasion? We all know some of the yahoos that would insist on it being their "right" to scramble on to the field and jump all over lads who have just been through a hard seventy five minutes, but are we really willing to have stewards in place who will physically restrain these fellas from doing so - because that's what would be required.

I do love the GAA, but this is an association where a guy who hits a ref considers himself entitled to the support of his club in trying to cover up his actions, where a significant minority of lads on the turnstiles still think it's their right to take a few bob off the top, and where a lot of players still think that if they can get off a punishment for an offence by squeezing through a loophole, then that's their right too. Collectively there are a few odd notions in there and rightly or wrongly, the freedom for eejits to storm the pitch is one of them.
Kevin Egan. Signed out of respect for players and all involved with Offaly.

Bord na Mona man
All Star

At recent All Irelands, a few moments after the final whistle blows the first few supporters that enter the field earn a hammering.
This is dished out by the apes in luminous bibs belonging to the professional security company that the GAA hires for match days.
Trips, kicks, punches and the works are administered to the hapless half wit who makes the first burst.
After a few seconds "Plan B" is announced, the gates are opened and people file onto the field in an orderly fashion.
Its definitely a scenario where the 2nd mouse to the trap gets the cheese!

The best deterrent would be for the GAA to steadfastly refuse to present any trophy until the pitch is empty and more importantly to actually stick to their guns on that matter. If it means no presentation of Liam or Sam because a few hundred crackpots won't leave the field for love nor money, then so be it. You have to be prepared to stick to your guns come what may.

So long as the GAA face down the mob and doesn't budge, fans would soon learn. Of course, if the GAA gives in, it will be a lost cause. The biggest obstacle to this is the collective sense of entitlement we possess in Ireland though.

Plain of the Herbs
All Star
Club: Lusmagh

Post by Plain of the Herbs »

This needs to be seriously looked at in the light of the carry-on at the recent Leinster final.

Players play; spectators look on. People need to realise that spectators have no right to go onto the pitch, before, during or after the match. That doing so is a tradition is neither here nor there.

A referee had a narrow escape last Sunday. Of course there'll always be lúdramauns but it's time to keep people off the pitch before serious injury is sustained.
Pat Donegan. Signed out of respect for players and all involved with Offaly.

azoffaly
All Star

Post by azoffaly »

How about a compromise solution? The supporters stay off the pitch until both teams have made their way off, and have gathered under the Hogan Stand. At that point the gates are opened and the throng can invade the pitch if they like, but at least the players are safe.

I don't think you can beat the view across Croke Park when the All Ireland trophy is being presented, especially to a county with a long famine just over. It's a fantastic sight.

However I do feel the players on both sides have too much to deal with at the moment. Some gobshite that roared abuse at you every day for years slapping you on the back and telling you how good you are? No thanks.

They can celebrate with the players if and when the players feel like touring the towns and villages, in a more controlled manner. The triumph belongs to all of us, but the day belongs to the players.
Shane Gavin. Signed out of respect for players and all involved with Offaly.

Bord na Mona man
All Star

azoffaly wrote:How about a compromise solution? The supporters stay off the pitch until both teams have made their way off, and have gathered under the Hogan Stand. At that point the gates are opened and the throng can invade the pitch if they like, but at least the players are safe.
I can't see people abiding by this. You could potentially create a crush at the stand exit gates as people heave to be in the best positions to get out first.
One or two yahoos will still ignore the rule and vault whatever barriers there are. Once a few of them get out, everyone else will grow giddy wanting to get out as well.

Simple solution. Supporters enter the playing area - trophy presentation abandoned.
An easy rule that is simple to implement. No fences, and gangs of security guards required. :wink:

Georgio1
All Star

Post by Georgio1 »

Dont think we'll get caught in the crush for a while anyway lads! Interesting that Cooney so mad to work on this yet downright refused to look at video technology after the dreams of a county were shattered (and Louth's also, as I was referring to Farragher's "point"!!!!!!) :?

Doon Massive
All Star

Post by Doon Massive »

How about a massive fine for anyone who does come onto the pitch when not supposed to?
If memory serves me, the Aussies fine fans $5,000 if they come on the pitch.
Of course this being Ireland, it'd be hard to fine thousands of people.

Otherwise give the stewards tasers. :twisted:

tipptopper25
Junior A

Post by tipptopper25 »

this is a problem that has to be sorted at grass roots level... if gaa insist that no more crowds on pitch for presentations in croke park they are going to have to do it everywhere... it has to start at club and under age games.... for instance if an u-12 team win a county final, families friends and supporters gather on pitch.... if a senior club team wins the county final the whole parish is on the field... its something that supporters are brought up with.... if they stamp it out in croker they have to do it everywhere...
personally i feel that supporters should be allowed on the field and the presentations should take place in the stand with the wining captain giving a passionate speech to the fans on the field.... it creates great memories for all involved... i know not all will agree with me but a more controled way of letting people onto the pitch would be an option....

Bord na Mona man
All Star

Yesterday I thought the presentation was all the better without the crowd invasion.
The Tipp players were able to recover and celebrate with their team mates and mentors who've they've been on the road with for months and years. The team was then able to do the lap of the stadium and let everyone see the cup.
The Kilkenny players were also given a bit of peace, rather than being caught up in the throng.

My guess is the players, though not wanting to publicly heard dissing supporters, would rather this, than be set on and saddled by a 16 stone human jockey who happens to be most determined to burst onto the field first.

Bord na Mona man
All Star

A or B?

A:

B: