where does offaly hurling stand now?????

A forum to air your views on Offaly GAA matters and beyond.
tipptopper25
Junior A

where does offaly hurling stand now?????

Post by tipptopper25 »

what is the future of offaly hurling.... your u-21s got a right hiding from the cats... the cats then got beaten by the dubs by 6 points... are the young faithful players that far down the pecking order... i know your senior players had good result against galway last sun but i think that may be a flash in the pan and i think galway will win the replay by 10 points +++(prove me wrong)... your seniors struggled in division 1 this year only finishing one place above limerick... i used to love going out to play offaly and getting a right tough game, now however this seems to be disappearing...

My Left Foot
Senior

Re: where does offaly hurling stand now?????

Post by My Left Foot »

I think Offaly are better than people think. We have been our own worst enemies at times by not believing in our abilities or not being as fit / organised as the team we are up against. we are slowly crossing those barriers.

Club hurling in Offaly is going to improve because all the old guard have finally retired from all the clubs so new talent has to be tried and given game time. This can only be good.

Also Tullamore won the SHC last year. If that doesn't wake South Offaly up to a higher level of hurling , nothing will :D

Underage structure, i can't comment on but we have not been really cosistently competitive in a fair while. We always need new young hurlers to come through and we need teams to be challenging at all underage grades in order for that to happen.

I was there to see us win in 1980 against KK, I was there to see us lose spectacularly to KK 5 years ago, and everything in between. The win in 1980 lead to all the rest, but now hard work is required at grassroots levels in order for us to consistently be able to compete with the big 3 again in the future.

We hope last Saturday has shown our current players that if you try with strength skill and controlled aggressive tackling,for 70+ minutes, you never know what can happen no matter what the opposition. Hopefully we can do the same again ( with 15 players ) for the full 70+ this Saturday ( an umpire who can see would also be useful)

The next time we beat KK in the LSHC or All-Ireland series will feel like 1980 all over again for me.

The day we beat Tipp in the all-ireland final is the day i know I died and am now in heaven. :lol:

I don't know when or if either of those will happen but I will keep the faith and SUPPORT my county through thick and thin until it does.

Uibh Fhaili abu

Daingean Exile
Junior A

Post by Daingean Exile »

My Left Foot wrote:I think Offaly are better than people think. We have been our own worst enemies at times by not believing in our abilities or not being as fit / organised as the team we are up against. we are slowly crossing those barriers.

Club hurling in Offaly is going to improve because all the old guard have finally retired from all the clubs so new talent has to be tried and given game time. This can only be good.

Also Tullamore won the SHC last year. If that doesn't wake South Offaly up to a higher level of hurling , nothing will :D

Underage structure, i can't comment on but we have not been really cosistently competitive in a fair while. We always need new young hurlers to come through and we need teams to be challenging at all underage grades in order for that to happen.

I was there to see us win in 1980 against KK, I was there to see us lose spectacularly to KK 5 years ago, and everything in between. The win in 1980 lead to all the rest, but now hard work is required at grassroots levels in order for us to consistently be able to compete with the big 3 again in the future.

We hope last Saturday has shown our current players that if you try with strength skill and controlled aggressive tackling,for 70+ minutes, you never know what can happen no matter what the opposition. Hopefully we can do the same again ( with 15 players ) for the full 70+ this Saturday ( an umpire who can see would also be useful)

The next time we beat KK in the LSHC or All-Ireland series will feel like 1980 all over again for me.

The day we beat Tipp in the all-ireland final is the day i know I died and am now in heaven. :lol:

I don't know when or if either of those will happen but I will keep the faith and SUPPORT my county through thick and thin until it does.

Uibh Fhaili abu
I wouldn't worry so much about Tipp being there when and if Offaly become All-Ireland contenders again. Bunch of also-rans they(Tipp) are :)

backofthenet
All Star

Post by backofthenet »

tipptopper25 wrote:what is the future of offaly hurling.... your u-21s got a right hiding from the cats... the cats then got beaten by the dubs by 6 points... are the young faithful players that far down the pecking order... i know your senior players had good result against galway last sun but i think that may be a flash in the pan and i think galway will win the replay by 10 points +++(prove me wrong)... your seniors struggled in division 1 this year only finishing one place above limerick... i used to love going out to play offaly and getting a right tough game, now however this seems to be disappearing...
I think our boys proved you wrong tonight tipp topper, they were a hares breadth away from a provincial final, I Wonder do you have the balls to post a reply!!

Daingean Exile
Junior A

Post by Daingean Exile »

backofthenet wrote:
tipptopper25 wrote:what is the future of offaly hurling.... your u-21s got a right hiding from the cats... the cats then got beaten by the dubs by 6 points... are the young faithful players that far down the pecking order... i know your senior players had good result against galway last sun but i think that may be a flash in the pan and i think galway will win the replay by 10 points +++(prove me wrong)... your seniors struggled in division 1 this year only finishing one place above limerick... i used to love going out to play offaly and getting a right tough game, now however this seems to be disappearing...
I think our boys proved you wrong tonight tipp topper, they were a hares breadth away from a provincial final, I Wonder do you have the balls to post a reply!!
When it comes to tipping, tipptopper is a tool of a tipster :lol:
Last edited by Daingean Exile on Mon Jun 28, 2010 11:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

tipptopper25
Junior A

Post by tipptopper25 »

well offaly proved me wrong on sun... their first game against galway wasnt a flash in the pan... i think maybe me and a number of other people under estimted offaly... i want offaly back up amoung the all ireland contenders... there is a great rivilary between tipp and offaly with both counties loving to beat each other... yee will no doubt be in the last 8 and if the draw goes your way a semi final spot for offaly is very possible this year... if we meet yee which i hope we do the old rivilary will be back... its needed as its gone for too long... (and if we do meet yee we will put out our second team to give yee a chance :D )
tiobraid arann abu...

leinsterman
All Star

Post by leinsterman »

tipptopper25 wrote:well offaly proved me wrong on sun... their first game against galway wasnt a flash in the pan... i think maybe me and a number of other people under estimted offaly... i want offaly back up amoung the all ireland contenders... there is a great rivilary between tipp and offaly with both counties loving to beat each other... yee will no doubt be in the last 8 and if the draw goes your way a semi final spot for offaly is very possible this year... if we meet yee which i hope we do the old rivilary will be back... its needed as its gone for too long... (and if we do meet yee we will put out our second team to give yee a chance :D )
tiobraid arann abu...
the only time ye will see croker this year will be in the football again the dubs,

tipptopper25
Junior A

Post by tipptopper25 »

leinsterman wrote:
tipptopper25 wrote:well offaly proved me wrong on sun... their first game against galway wasnt a flash in the pan... i think maybe me and a number of other people under estimted offaly... i want offaly back up amoung the all ireland contenders... there is a great rivilary between tipp and offaly with both counties loving to beat each other... yee will no doubt be in the last 8 and if the draw goes your way a semi final spot for offaly is very possible this year... if we meet yee which i hope we do the old rivilary will be back... its needed as its gone for too long... (and if we do meet yee we will put out our second team to give yee a chance :D )
tiobraid arann abu...
the only time ye will see croker this year will be in the football again the dubs,
i tink we are going to be there neat sun after the hammering we gave yee!!!!!

tipptopper25
Junior A

Post by tipptopper25 »

Daingean Exile wrote:
backofthenet wrote:
When it comes to tipping, tipptopper is a tool of a tipster :lol:
offaly hurling is like a christmas tree in july.... withered.... id sa your sickened ater the hiding we gave yee....

Daingean Exile
Junior A

Post by Daingean Exile »

tipptopper25 wrote:[

offaly hurling is like a christmas tree in july.... withered.... id sa your sickened ater the hiding we gave yee....
Are you the internet version of the demented gobsh*te Babs Keating? Will you come on here when ye get hammered by the cats, if ye get to meet them that is. Congrats to Tipp on their victory, but any sane hurling observer knows this Tipp outfit in terms of the All Ireland are merely also-rans.