Diarmuid Horan off the panel

A forum to air your views on Offaly GAA matters and beyond.
leinsterman
All Star

Re: Diarmuid Horan off the panel

Post by leinsterman »

plain of the Herbs

it was me who put up the post about diarmuid horan in the first place, i was not having ago at diarmuid horan at doing it
i was just wanted to know why a fine young hurler like him has left the panel.
i heard many a story as why he has left alot of them are rubbish i would think.

as for kinnittyman he was the one that started the crap talk i never said horan wasn't with the panel in the first place i only
said he was on the sideline in salthill with the subs at half time. iam sure kinnittyman is big enough to say he was wrong
as would i if i said someone said something that they didn't. and yes kinnittyman has good opinions on this site never said he didn't
don't want to fallout with anyone on this site we are all offalymen cheers.

Plain of the Herbs
All Star
Club: Lusmagh

Post by Plain of the Herbs »

Leinsterman, backofthenet questioned Diarmuid's commitment. Don't forget that you agreed, stating "yes i (sic) think you have hit the nail on the head there"
leinsterman wrote:
backofthenet wrote:hes not offaly's best hurler in fairness lads...but he would definately be in the top 15.

He chose three months traveling last year over county hurling so id say his commitment to the cause might be less than 100%
yes i think you have hit the nail on the head there, its a pity.
Pat Donegan. Signed out of respect for players and all involved with Offaly.

kinnittyman
All Star

Post by kinnittyman »

Leinsterman,

You did question Horan's commitment and you catergorically stated the reason for his absence from the panel was not injury related. I pulled you up on this so I don't think in any way, shape or from can I be classified as "wrong".

And I certainly was in Galway. That stuff doesn't wash with me. I have no issues with travelling to see Offaly.

Bord na Mona man
All Star
Club: Clara

Post by Bord na Mona man »

We might as well get used to losing talented players.
I'd say by the time we've bailed out the banks, the developers, the big shots and every other gambler waving a losing docket, half our hurlers and footballers will be working in America and Australia.

leinsterman
All Star

Post by leinsterman »

well look so if the lad is not in the panel and its not injury related,he must not be not able to give the commitment so
there's nothing wrong with that if he doesn't have the commitment he is not the first one to leave a county panel.

and again kinnittyman what i pulled you up on was you said that i said that diarmuid was in galway but not with the panel
thats were i said you were wrong. so as you would say that stuff doesn't wash with me either. jesus i hope birr and kinnitty
don't meet this year or we will really fall out .

ballinamereman1
County player

Post by ballinamereman1 »

apparently conor mahon and daniel currama have both walked away aswell.. why is this anyone hear????

leinsterman
All Star

Post by leinsterman »

ballinamereman1 wrote:apparently conor mahon and daniel currama have both walked away aswell.. why is this anyone hear????
today is april the first isn't it :lol:

ballinamereman1
County player

Post by ballinamereman1 »

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
well spotted lenisterman.. thought i would have turnede a few heads with that.. :lol:

leinsterman
All Star

Post by leinsterman »

ballinamereman1 wrote::lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
well spotted lenisterman.. thought i would have turnede a few heads with that.. :lol:
you have to be up early to catch us birrmen :lol:

backofthenet
All Star

Post by backofthenet »

OK Let me clarify exactly what i meant by 100% commitment.

I play hurling myself as it happens at senior level, i do run around in the muck manys a winter and i know the ridiculous commitment it takes at club level and i know county level is step up again.

Over the last number of years, ive put off booking holiday, ive not gone on holidays, ive came back early, ive sacrificed going out on a saturday night for months during each season, ive watched what i eat all year round for the last 6 - 7 years, i do extra training every week, in season and off to make sure i keep my place because there are 15 - 20 minors coming up to senior level every year, at 9am following my engagement party i was training, i planned my honeymoon all around the hurling season so it didnt clash with matches.

Ive done that, just for club level, i realise county level is possibly more commitment again, I do that because i enjoy playing hurling, i enjoy testing myself against the best players in the county, im proud of my parish, i want to give something back for all the good years ive had here, to thank all the trainers that were there when we were training in the muck and sh#t that they didnt walk away.

People are doing this all over offaly and in the other 31 counties in Ireland.

So thats what i mean about 100% commitment. Its a difficult thing to keep up year after year, and i will step back in a year or two when the legs start to go! I dont blame a lad for wanting to have his own life away from hurling aswell, Its not a bad thing at all.

Finally i said his commitment "MIGHT" be less than 100%. I dont know him personally, im just commenting that he is a gifted hurler without doubt, but if he doesnt want to give his time to it then there is nothing you can do, its like former tottenham goalkeeper Espen Bardsen quit football at 26, he just didnt enjoy it anymore.

durra1
All Star
Club: Durrow/Ballinamere

Post by durra1 »

I’d like to endorse POTH 110% on this.

Criticism of the commitment of young inter-county players who elect to take a JI summer here, or a stint in Oz there REALLY gets on my wick.

Who is anyone on this forum to criticise a young lad for heading off with his mates or girlfriend when he has the chance to do so before he settles into a long-term career and/or relationship ??

Why should he have to miss out on his opportunity to experience the Whitehaven Beach / Koh Pan Yang Full moon parties / Swedish women of liberal persuasion etc. etc. just so he can pull the jersey on for every year of his playing days ??

Whether your hurling Senior Club or inter-county, its pretty much your life for a significant part of a year once you’re playing.

Professional sportsmen regularily expressed their incredulity of the commitment asked of the modern day inter-county player.

In the case of DH, he has already given serious service both to St.Rynaghs and Offaly in BOTH codes at ALL levels.

Professional sportsmen can’t take much time out – because it’s their job.

Equally one can say whatever you want, within the realms of fair comment, about their commitment, performance, attitude to training etc. – because its their job.

I don’t know what DH does for a living, but hurling is not his job.

It follows that the last place DH should be hearing criticism of his, supposed, lack of commitment is from faceless posters on internet forums.

All young lads are computer literate these days and read these forums – there’s a good possibility DH will read this in his downtime.

Diarmuid if you are reading this, and if you are heading off for the summer, the very best of luck to you and I for one hope to see you back doing what you do best when you come back.

‘Pull hard or don’t pull at all’ applies both on and off the field! :wink:

To the same group who always post on this very topic on this forum:

Commitment and loyalty to the county and parish is what makes the GAA great and It should be diluted.

However I for one, am sick of this out-dated, small-minded shite. It’s high time that it’s stamped out for good. People need to start copping onto themselves on this issue- ill go so far as to say that it smacks of good old fashioned Irish begrudgery ever time I hear it.

As an Offaly GAA supporter, you owe a duty of responsibilty to the county when posting on this forum.

I dont mean to sound hot-headed, but I cant abide by this kind of crap. The more reasoned users or this forum will see where I’m coming from.

Anyone who has any issues with me on this is free to PM me for a tete a tete :)

kinnittyman
All Star

Post by kinnittyman »

Here Here Durra 1. Well said.

GreatDayForTheParish
All Star

Post by GreatDayForTheParish »

Interesting points being made on both sides about the commitment issue. All I'll say is that without knowing a player personally it's unfair to comment on thier dedication to the cause. But in fairness to backofthenet, his last post does clairfy his viewpoint. Whether you agree or diasgree is a matter of opinion.

Plain of the Herbs wrote: On a separate, but not unrelated point. I’ve a problem with the ordinary observers using the first person plural when referring to GAA players. We should understand that ‘we’ do not run around in the winter’s muck and while we are free to offer our observations ‘we’ do not understand the game the way those who play it do. As Arrigle’s signature reads “it’s their game and they are best at it”.

I wouldn't be as clear cut about this.

The county team is, after all, an amateur representative 15 of the best hurlers (or footballers) in Offaly. To emphasise the point, they represent themselves firstly but also us. Therefore, it's only right and natural for most people to use the first person plural when referring to the county team. It displays a sense of ownership and identification with the county team that I believe is better for all involved than referring to the team as 'they'. Furthermore, a team is much more than just the players. From administrators to backroom staff to of course supporters, all play their part and give their time in ensuring that the county team are firstly able to function effectively (administrators and backroom staff) and then have something to play for (supporters). A lot of people can rightly claim to be a part of the wider team.

Now of course what you say is true, only the players have to run around in the muck of January, only the players have to sacrifice so much time and players have to skip college, work or family for training. Equally so, only players will be remembered in decades to come should ultimate victory be attained.
The primacy of the players role in the county team can not be overstated and must never be de-valued. They should be taken care of by the county board as much as possible and their inhuman commitment should only ever be appreciated by supporters. We should be tankful to have them. Provided supporters always remember this, and the players feel appreciated/respected then the use of 'we' should not get too out of hand or ruffle too many feathers when used.
Last edited by GreatDayForTheParish on Fri Apr 02, 2010 2:45 pm, edited 2 times in total.

durra1
All Star
Club: Durrow/Ballinamere

Post by durra1 »

Fair Play to you backofthenet - that clarifies exactly what you meant and where you are coming from.

I have played Intermediate and junior hurling for a total of 8 clubs (in 3 continents!).

I didn’t play at a higher level because of:-

a) lack of talent.
b) I couldn’t give the commitment
c) I enjoy the good life.

I really admire fellas like you who watch themselves and prepare all year round for Senior club hurling – it really is what or organisation is all about. I can’t say I’d do it myself because of a-c above.

I think you and most other posters will know the type of “supporter” who I have my issues with …