Best Offaly Hurlers of the decade

A forum to air your views on Offaly GAA matters and beyond.
corner back
All Star

Best Offaly Hurlers of the decade

Post by corner back »

Last Sunday's Tribune went with Oakley, Carroll and Brian Mullins.
Opinions?

True Red
All Star

Re: Best Offaly Hurlers of the decade

Post by True Red »

Full Report

Evolution sees Cody's men dominate the decade
Enda McEvoy

Top cats: Brian Cody's reign at the top was not preordained, it was created 1. Kilkenny
Not so much the perpetual revolution of Chairman Mao as the perpetual evolution under Chairman Cody. Their greatest strength was their ability to adapt. The 2001 All Ireland semi-final defeat taught them the importance of hunger and high standards, the 2005 equivalent the need to organise space better. It helped that the manager possessed the resources to put such lessons into action. But never forget that none of this was preordained. Cody made it happen. Top three players of the decade Henry Shefflin, Tommy Walsh, JJ Delaney

2. Cork
Two All Irelands and three strikes. Neither outcome could have been foreseen at the beginning of the noughties, which they entered as All Ireland champions with a bunch not old enough to gain access to a reasonably classy disco and departed as members of the pack, their best days behind them. Like it or loathe it, their running game marked not merely a tactical shift but an entire strategic convulsion in a sport which hitherto placed too much emphasis on lamping the sliotar from A to yonder B as quickly and thoughtlessly as possible. An era where what took place on the field too often took a back seat to what took place off it. Top three players Sean Óg Ó hAilpín, Jerry O'Connor, Ben O'Connor

3. Waterford
An enduring soap opera. More popular with non-traditional hurling folk than with the denizens of the game's heartlands; what to the former was the expression of individuality was frequently histrionics to the latter. Yet no team was involved in so many memorable matches – a goodly proportion of which, it must be remembered, they had the skill and nous to win. Here's betting they'll be more and more fondly remembered as time goes by. What a shame they bloomed at the precise moment that Kilkenny and Cork had the Chelsea Flower Show. It was just that the time was wrong, Juliet. Top three players Ken McGrath, Tony Browne, John Mullane

4. Tipperary
Started the decade brightly and finished it in promising fashion, but would that it had stopped on the evening of 9 September 2001. A golden future ended with Nicky English's departure. What followed was a miasma of mediocrity and managers past their sell-by date or promoted beyond their capabilities, a spell that was finally broken with Liam Sheedy. Biggest problem was a dearth of on-field leaders. Top three players Eoin Kelly, Brendan Cummins, Eamon Corcoran

5. Galway
A tale full of certain sounds and occasional fury ultimately signifying nothing. The usual might-have-beens, the most intriguing and unknowable being what might have ensued had they stuck by Noel Lane in 2002. Another decade without an All Ireland and another generation lost. Still, at least they brought Ger Loughnane back to entertain us. Top three players Ollie Canning, Alan Kerins, Damien Hayes

6. Clare
The inevitable and unavoidable part was that they slipped from their '90s eminence. The heartening part was that they didn't slip very far. We assumed Cyril Lyons had squeezed the last few drops when they reached the 2002 All Ireland final, but they were reinvented again under Anthony Daly and came within an ace of reaching – and probably winning – the 2005 decider. Thanks to the under-21s, finish the decade on a high. Top three players Colin Lynch, Seánie McMahon, Niall Gilligan

7. Limerick
A nightmare from which they are still trying to awake. Internal upheavals. Public linen-washing. Managers lost along the wayside. Under-21s who fell through holes in pub floors. Contrived one rollercoaster summer that brought them to September, but this year's All Ireland semi-final summed up their decade. Top three players Mark Foley, Ollie Moran, Brian Geary

8. Wexford
Was it for this 1996 happened? A long, slow, infinitely saddening recessional, like the air escaping from a balloon. One shining hour in 2004; the rest was silence and darkness. Top three players Damien Fitzhenry, Darragh Ryan, Adrian Fenlon

9. Offaly
Set the seal on 20 years of laying the establishment by their ears when flooring Cork in the 2000 All Ireland semi-final, the last flourish of their golden generation. Downhill ever since, with some seriously heavy beatings shipped along the way, and no indications of any improvement in the near future. Top three players Brian Carroll, Brian Mullins, Ger Oakley

10. Dublin
Featured in the same kind of films as Laois and Antrim most of the time but now appear to be leaving the B-movie genre behind them. Reaching a first Leinster final since 1991 marked the highpoint of their decade. Top three players Liam Ryan, Stephen Hiney, Ronan Fallon

11. Antrim
Put the heart crossways in both Tipperary and Wexford in All Ireland quarter-finals during Dinny Cahill's tenure before encountering hurling's glass ceiling. Unable to smash it under the McNaughton/McKinley regime. Top three players: Karl McKeegan, Ciaran Herron, DD Quinn

12. Laois
Unlike the 1990s, when they regularly frightened the powers in Leinster, were reduced to making up the numbers. Running Limerick close this summer may be a harbinger of better times ahead. Top three players James Young, Paul Cuddy, David Cuddy
If you don’t stand for something you fall for anything

GreatDayForTheParish
All Star

Post by GreatDayForTheParish »

Tough question to answer given that so few players have played the entire decade owing to the break up of the 90's team in the early part of the 00's. Allied with the fact that Offaly's results have been so poor since 2000 (Limerick in 2008 was our first win against top 8 opposition in what, 5 years?) then the task in hand becomes all the more difficult.

Anyway, one I'd definelty give the nod to would be David Franks. I reckon there are few teams in the country he wouldn't make and it's just a pity he hasn't enjoyed more success in the Offaly jersey. That score against Waterford in 2008 will live long in the memory!
For longevity alone, Brendan Murphy would have to be up there as well.

bluemoon
Junior B

Post by bluemoon »

Ger Oakley that has to be a joke

Lone Shark
All Star
Club: Ferbane

Post by Lone Shark »

bluemoon wrote:Ger Oakley that has to be a joke
Don't see why. He mightn't be stylish, but I'd struggle to think of three more consistent and effective hurlers for Offaly in that time. In fact truth be told he'd be the best of the three named players for me - though as with GDFTP, I'd say David Franks would be the number one, with a close call between Brian Carroll and Rory Hanniffy for my third slot after Oakley.
Kevin Egan. Signed out of respect for players and all involved with Offaly.

Georgio1
All Star

Post by Georgio1 »

Oakley a joke? He might not be the best of hurlers skillwise, but by God he makes up for it in other ways! He has soldiered on and delivered some great displays, and if only a few more could have taken his example on board we may not have fallen as far down the pecking order. I would have Franks in too ahead of Carroll.
The shocking thing is how few spring too mind.

Bord na Mona man
All Star
Club: Clara

Post by Bord na Mona man »

Its a sad reflection on us that Oakley stands out alone for being hurler who never takes a backward step.
25 years ago, it seemed like every man who pulled on the Offaly jersey was willing to put himself on the line.

bracknaghboy
All Star

Post by bracknaghboy »

Theres a fella that used to play called Brian Whelahan who played in 23 championship games for Offaly in the last decade.......I'd probably include him!!!!!

Plain of the Herbs
All Star
Club: Lusmagh

Post by Plain of the Herbs »

You're spot on there, Bb. I'd probably include him meself. I know the second-half fadeout was well underway by the time he done his hamstring in that Leinster final against Wexford, but we'll all die wondering how that match would have panned out had he stayed in the full of his health that July Sunday.
bracknaghboy wrote:Theres a fella that used to play called Brian Whelahan who played in 23 championship games for Offaly in the last decade.......I'd probably include him!!!!!
Pat Donegan. Signed out of respect for players and all involved with Offaly.

leinsterman
All Star

Post by leinsterman »

i would have to go with ger oakley this year's league final man of the match. he was full back and done well
of all the year's i have seen ger hurl don't think i ever seen someone clean him out. if a few more had his gut's
we would be alright.

offaly09
Junior B

Post by offaly09 »

bluemoon wrote:Ger Oakley that has to be a joke

Why? Def have him in my top three and well ahead of Brian Carroll. Would have to agree with others with regards to Franks being No.1 though.

kinnittyman
All Star

Post by kinnittyman »

leinsterman wrote:i would have to go with ger oakley this year's league final man of the match. he was full back and done well
of all the year's i have seen ger hurl don't think i ever seen someone clean him out. if a few more had his gut's
we would be alright.
Leinsterman I'm not trying to be smart but what are you talking about? In the league final in Thurles against Wexford, David Kenny was full back and had a fantastic game completley nullifying Stephen Banville. This was only a few short weeks after Banville desrtroyed Ger Oakley in Wexford Park in the group game. Oakley had to step in full back as Kenny was injured and he was moved out of there before half time. This is not a slight on Oakley as I would have him in my top 3 of the decade and he has some heart. But to say he was outstanding at full back in the league final is so wide of the mark I felt it had to be corrected.

leinsterman
All Star

Post by leinsterman »

kinnittyman wrote:
leinsterman wrote:i would have to go with ger oakley this year's league final man of the match. he was full back and done well
we would be alright.
Leinsterman I'm not trying to be smart but what are you talking about? In the league final in Thurles against Wexford, David Kenny was full back and had a fantastic game completley nullifying Stephen Banville. This was only a few short weeks after Banville desrtroyed Ger Oakley in Wexford Park in the group game. Oakley had to step in full back as Kenny was injured and he was moved out of there before half time. This is not a slight on Oakley as I would have him in my top 3 of the decade and he has some heart. But to say he was outstanding at full back in the league final is so wide of the mark I felt it had to be corrected.
i think you have pick me up wrong. ger oakley was full back for the champonship of 04 and the league that year. we got to a leinster final that year. i said i taught he was man of the match in the league final this year at centre back. i know kenny was full back in the final. plus that league
match in wexford park there was more than oakley bad that day. a few short week's after the league final banville desrtoyed david kenny in the champonship in wexford park got man of the match.

Real Faithful
Junior C

Post by Real Faithful »

For me it would be Rory Hannify, David Franks and Brendan Murphy in no particular order.

They are the three we have relied most on in the last ten years.

keenonsport
Junior A

Post by keenonsport »

I'd have to go for Oakley as number 1 for his dedication and huge effort down through the years maybe not the most gifted hurler but never gives less than 100%. I'd go for Mullins as number 2 if it wasnt for him some of the defeats would have been a lot heavier. It would be a toss-up between Franks, Rory Hannify and Carroll for the last spot and I'd probably go got Franks as he has been more consistent than the other two.