tullamore

A forum to air your views on Offaly GAA matters and beyond.
gutless08
County player

Re: tullamore

Post by gutless08 »

Kemo Sabe wrote:r forgetting one important little fact lad all those teams came back in them games senn as we are dealing in facts ferbane didnd come back they lost by 6 fact .
was ur point not that six points was a hiding?

theres just a few examples for ya.

anyho off to the sun for a week ,you can have the last word on this,for now :P

Kemo Sabe
All Star

Post by Kemo Sabe »

go on the town get in there .
great history hoping for a better future

Dynamite
Junior A

Post by Dynamite »

Clara Kicked that game away! 12 wides in the first half. Dominated the ball all over the field but just hadn't got their scoring boots on. Cathal Daly was destroyed and John Kenny only came into it in the last 10 minutes. Fair play to Tullamore, but Clara should have had it over by half time! Some of Thomas Deehans wides were particularly bad. Goes to show, the better team doesn't always win! But scores win games and Clara's shooting was just too wayward to deserve a win.

GOOFY
County player

Post by GOOFY »

Nop Kemo Sabe not a town man but dont mind them at all.

As for the best team losing yesterday - not at all, some of Claras shot selections in the first half were of junior standard - it doesnt matter how many wides they hit, Tullamore were far more economical in their fairly limited farward line.

True Clara won midfield and probably dictated possession 60/40 up until the last ten minutes, but a good team would have had at least a five point gap at that stage - they didnt and they paid the price.

PS LS - what in the name of god were Ferbane at??????
First ball is when you make your mark

TheManFromFerbane
All Star
Club: Ferbane

Post by TheManFromFerbane »

GOOFY wrote:PS LS - what in the name of god were Ferbane at??????
An embarrasment to every man that ever wore the green jersey before. Not because we lost to St. Rynagh's but because of the gutless, lazy manner of the defeat.

Forgive me if I don't really want to talk about it any more.
The night is darkest before the dawn

GOOFY
County player

Post by GOOFY »

Well i only seen the second half of Ferbane v St Rynaghs but i have to say Rynaghs were full value for their win, i only went in for the second half because i thought it might be one sided.

Thats the only time i saw Ferbane this year and its very hard to reconcile their display Saturday evening and their victory against Tullamore - to put it bluntly, they were dire.

Surely they werent compalcent?? after all it was a local derby and Rynaghs seem to thrive on relegation matches :shock:
First ball is when you make your mark

Lone Shark
All Star

Post by Lone Shark »

Whatever else, it wasn't complacency - everyone around town, including the players, knew all too well how Rynaghs do this every year and how the Rynaghs performance on Saturday was likely to bear no relation to their performances so far this year, and that's as it proved. A lot of Ferbane players struggled to reach the higher gears on the day, but a large proportion of the credit for that has to go to the opponents as well, even if it was an offday for our fellas.

The question Rynaghs should be asking themselves is why, when they are clearly capable of so much more, do they not do that all year?
Kevin Egan. Signed out of respect for players and all involved with Offaly.

Hyper
All Star

Post by Hyper »

I'd say a good part of the reason for this is that they are a dual club and the preparation wouldn't be ideal. They are now out of the hurling championship so all their efforts can now be focused on the football. I'm sure it was a similar story last year.

Lone Shark
All Star

Post by Lone Shark »

Hyper wrote:I'd say a good part of the reason for this is that they are a dual club and the preparation wouldn't be ideal. They are now out of the hurling championship so all their efforts can now be focused on the football. I'm sure it was a similar story last year.
That doesn't really wash though. Rynagh's would have four or five players crossing over between codes, similar to Ferbane with Belmont, Clara or Tullamore. Shamrocks would have even more. Those clubs don't seem to have the same issue with playing well before the other code gets eliminated.

In some of those cases it would be some of the best players who are across codes - with Rynaghs, neither of the two lads (Raffertys) who'd be in or around the county team hurl, as is the case with Mahon, O'Connor, Flaherty.... it could be argued that of their better players, only Horan and Mulhare still hurl. Pat McIntyre and Stephen Wynne would be grand footballers too, but they wouldn't be as vital to the club as any of the lads above IMO.

Square Cab
Intermediate

Post by Square Cab »

Off day??? LS the fact that Ferbane even find themselves in a relegation battle suggests they've had more off days than on days this year. Ferbane are not a bad team, in fact they are one of the more competitive teams in a poor championship but they dont seem to be able to do it when it matters. Rhode were there for the taking and they couldnt do it. They should have beaten Shannonbridge because in any analysis, they are the better team, yet they couldnt manage a win. Just on the side, why was Aidan Keenaghan only brought on as a second half sub?

Lone Shark
All Star

Post by Lone Shark »

Square Cab wrote: Just on the side, why was Aidan Keenaghan only brought on as a second half sub?
Ankle injury.

He was also absent against Shannonbridge, as were two other starting forwards - and guess what? We only scored nine points that day.

It's naive to suggest that in a group with Tullamore and Rhode that it wouldn't be possible to end up in a relegation battle if you have one bad day at the wrong time. Having said that, as for your suggestion that they "can't do it when it matters", well that's something that I suppose we'll know a lot more about one way or another after the weekend.

Kemo Sabe
All Star

Post by Kemo Sabe »

gutless08 wrote:
Kemo Sabe wrote:tullamores form in the hurling this year has got me thinking that of all the clubs in offaly they ar the only ones with any chance of ever doing the double and now that the footballers are coming into form just at the right time i think theywill go close this year .
tullamore wont win a hurling title in the next 10 years nevermind this year
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
great history hoping for a better future

Dynamite
Junior A

Post by Dynamite »

Haha... being the begrudger that I am, I had a little look back over the results of the championship this year. Can anyone tell me why there is group stages at all in the Hurling championship if no team gets eliminated, but goes into the "first round proper". It seems completely pointless and in any other system, Tullamore wouldn't have even made it out of their group never mind gone on to win the championship. All the groups decided was that the bottom teams out of each group played each other to see who progressed to the quarter finals. It just seems unnecessarily complicated and left too many "dead rubber" games.

This being said, I suppose, seeing as every team knew the system you could say that Tullamore knew what they had to do, and peaked at the right time.

TheManFromFerbane
All Star

Post by TheManFromFerbane »

I'd be really interested to know how they prepared. Did they basically say this is Championship right from the start of did they say, look this group stage is basically still the league and prepared as such. Now that the whole thing is over maybe someone from Tullamore could enlighten us!?
The night is darkest before the dawn

Lone Shark
All Star

Post by Lone Shark »

Kemo Sabe wrote:
gutless08 wrote:
Kemo Sabe wrote:tullamores form in the hurling this year has got me thinking that of all the clubs in offaly they ar the only ones with any chance of ever doing the double and now that the footballers are coming into form just at the right time i think theywill go close this year .
tullamore wont win a hurling title in the next 10 years nevermind this year
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
It's good to know that this is a democratic forum, where everyone who has the temerity to predict anything has their comments recorded for posterity, just in case these kind of opportunities might come up!! :D
TheManFromFerbane wrote:I'd be really interested to know how they prepared. Did they basically say this is Championship right from the start of did they say, look this group stage is basically still the league and prepared as such. Now that the whole thing is over maybe someone from Tullamore could enlighten us!?
I won't go giving away sources, but pretty much they decided that championship started in the knockouts and that was the focus all along. I presume all teams were thinking like that to a certain degree, but there would have been guys played in early round Tullamore matches who I think wouldn't have gotten those opportunities if it was real deal championship. I think Tullamore were the only club to really and truly treat the event like a league.