SHEFFLIN'S ALL STAR AWARD.

A forum to air your views on Offaly GAA matters and beyond.
black and red exile
All Star

SHEFFLIN'S ALL STAR AWARD.

Post by black and red exile »

I know this has nothing to do with Offaly GAA matters but it's bugging the hell out of me all day. Could somebody, anybody please explain how the darling of the media, golden boy Shefflin got an all star for this year on one half decent game against Waterford in the all Ireland semi final? Just because this guy likes to have his mug stuck in front of a camera at every opportunity surely does not get him an automatic all star which in my opinion is the only reason he got the blasted award because it certainly is not what he has done on the field of play this year. RIDICULOUS.

corner back
All Star

Re: SHEFFLIN'S ALL STAR AWARD.

Post by corner back »

Name any other player who scored 1-14 in an all-ireland semi not to get an all star. Stuck the penalty in the final with serious pressure one him.

rossier
Intermediate

Post by rossier »

In all fairness I don't think Joe Canning did enough either to justify an all star!

Efan
Senior

Post by Efan »

Personally I feel that the All Star awards get WAY too much publicity. One of the main reason that the All Stars do is that is a media event driven by the media with awards allocated by the media. I have spoken to somebody who has been on the “inside” when the awards winners are chosen they observed that ultimately about 1/3 of them came down to horse trading. “I’ll give you that one if you give me this one” type stuff. It became an exercise in those choosing awards based on not wanting to loose arguments rather than simply a straight vote on who they thought was best most votes wins. A most imperfect system. Can anybody confirm the All Star Committee members?
Efan :)

lovelyhurling
County player
Club: de field

Post by lovelyhurling »

Canning getting an all star is a joke. Whats gonna happen when he has a good year. Get two awards! He was cleaned by Cadogan and McInerney. Hurled ok against Waterford and was good against Kilkenny in the first 10 minutes. He is class but the judges should have sense.

On Shefflin getting an award, over the year id say he deserves it. Last year, he got it and he was poor enough too.

Tommy Walsh deserves Hurler of the year if he gets it. Quality hurler despite some of the begrudging comments about him.
pull hard on your man, he's no relation

Rynaghs Biffo
All Star

Post by Rynaghs Biffo »

I wouldn't read into the all-stars or awards, they're farcecal (or however u spell it).

They're an unfair reflection of a GAA season running from the O'Byrne Cup in January to the all-ireland final in September.