The Betting Thread

A forum to air your views on Offaly GAA matters and beyond.
Lone Shark
All Star
Club: Ferbane

Re: The Betting Thread

Post by Lone Shark »

INOFFALYIBELIEVE wrote:LS, Down +11 wouldnt be a bad bet but i wouldnt be lumping on it, the wind had a big part to play last week, it kept them going in the first half as they were toe to toe with us, but their heads dropped and became indiscplined and the same effort wasnt there when we tipped ahead, Offaly's winning margin could have been greater in the end, ya'd worry for them if wexford went 4 or 5 points up the first half but as you said wexford arent going well at the minute so the boyles +11 is certainly value..

its hard to know how good or bad wexford are at the minute, but going on form i.e losing to Antrim and then Carlow ( a team so poor in o'connor park it was unreal beating Antrim) it certainly wouldnt look good for them

id sooner be putting my faith in tipperary and kilkenny and offaly (hopefully!) to cover a handicap though.
Ye hurling traditionalists are all the same!!

I'd like to get some feedback from the Down side of things, but my gut feeling is that Wexford are worth opposing and if Down go in with the right attitude (though what you say above suggests that they mightn't) then this could be an interesting game. It's looking like I'll keep it on the small side though. Tipp still the main bet for me.
Kevin Egan. Signed out of respect for players and all involved with Offaly.

bula bula
All Star

Post by bula bula »

We seem to be over priced by all the bookies going in to the game against Kildare and Paddy Power have us a tempting 11/10 with a 3 point head start. That is not too far off the mark and would give anyone looking for a bet a good run but I think the best value lies elsewhere.

My bets of the week would be Monaghan who are a massive 7/4 with PP and Limerick at 10/11 with the same firm. Derry are an over rated team and Monaghan the very opposite IMO and if the game was not in Celtic Park then I am sure the price would not be as big. With it being there it could have an adverse affect on the Derry lads should things start to go against them and the crowd get on their backs like they can do. Limerick really is more of a hopeful punt in that I am presuming that they make the usual transformation that they do come Championship time. They were shocking in the league but are a total different animal this time of year and having earned me money last year will be carrying some of that profit. The question with Tipp is, how good are they? I actually think that they are not as good as the league would suggest and wont be having them just yet.
"Ohhh mamma!"

Lone Shark
All Star

Post by Lone Shark »

Bula, I agree with you on Monaghan certainly (as you'll have seen from Betdiary if you keep an eye on it).

I cannot see why a ridiculously streaky team like Derry are favourites against a solid and consistent Monaghan outfit. The truth is that teams don't play to their full potential a lot of the time and I reckon that Monaghan's "cruising speed" is much higher than Derry's. Having said that, I was at Punchestown races last month as a guest of Ladbrokes, as were all of the Derry county board as part of the sponsorship deal. To say that they were confident would be a ridiculous understatement. Unusually for GAA men, they simply could not countenance defeat - it was a nailed on victory as far as they were concerned.

Tipp vs Limerick is not a betting proposition for me. I've always rated Limerick and on paper this looks for the world like one of those games where a league bubble will burst, but I don't know that Limerick will be able to find their best form all of a sudden just because it's championship. That match in O'Connor Park last month was huge for them and they didn't impress me. That game is a real toss of a coin job for me.

bula bula
All Star

Post by bula bula »

Monaghan are definately my main bet and although I thought Limerick were dreadful and very lucky to get so close to us in O Connor Park I just see them as a good bet for some mad reason. Maybe its my history with them coming good for me on a few occasions :D but I will definitely be on them to burst the league bubble of Tipp as you put it.
"Ohhh mamma!"

bracknaghboy
All Star

Post by bracknaghboy »

Lads I think Galway will blow London away. I think the handicap is -13.

Tipp and Monaghan look good. I'm not touching our game but 3/1 from scratch for us to beat Kildare is tempting but the form book is wrecking my head and when i put my betting head on I can see Kildare having a few points to spare on us. That said I can see where LS is coming from with the +4 @5/6 with Ladbrokes........there are far worse bets out there this weekend and the bet should be at least alive to the very end of the 70mins.

Lone Shark
All Star

Post by Lone Shark »

bracknaghboy wrote:Lads I think Galway will blow London away. I think the handicap is -13.
I'd steer clear of this one myself. This is a much better London team than in previous years with some high profile recruits and they put in some very decent performances. There has been a lot of rain around north London too and I can say from experience that Ruislip can get very, very soft, even at this time of year. Thirteen is a very big ask and if I was having a bet on this game I'd be going for something like the London plus fifteen with Ladbrokes. I may even do that yet to be honest.

GOOFY
County player

Post by GOOFY »

Alas with my prediction for the match at the weekend, i might as well throw in my bet

Kildare - 3points EVENS
Tipp to beat Limerick 6/5
London + 13

Il have a small wager on this, lets hope Offaly do the business and i go down gloriously.
First ball is when you make your mark

Lone Shark
All Star

Post by Lone Shark »

GOOFY wrote:Alas with my prediction for the match at the weekend, i might as well throw in my bet

Kildare - 3points EVENS
Tipp to beat Limerick 6/5
London + 13

Il have a small wager on this, lets hope Offaly do the business and i go down gloriously.
Goofy if that's your bet, then your best bet would be www.stanjames.com. You'll have to take evens about Tipperary, but they are plus fifteen about London which could make all the difference.

GOOFY
County player

Post by GOOFY »

Thanks LS,

Have the powder down though, only a small wager on the treble, have invested more heavily on Tipp in a single, having doubts now but thought Limerick were woeful against us in tullamore and if we had 15 men then we could have won by 10.

bula bula
All Star

Post by bula bula »

Being looking through the games and Waterford have to be worth a bet at 10/11 with a 14 point head start. I think this is a good Cork team but the Deise boys are a decent defensive side and will keep the score down lower than that.

LS, is it just me or are Ladbrokes that bit tighter than the others on the GAA games
"Ohhh mamma!"

GOOFY
County player

Post by GOOFY »

LS,
Any odds on the first round SFC games, are Hacketts still doing them do ya know?

Hocker
All Star

Post by Hocker »

Well I'd imagine tonight's games will be along the following lines

Shamrocks 2/7 Draw 6/1 Shannonbridge 5/1
Tullamore 4/7 Draw 6/1 Tubber 4/1

Shannonbridge/Tubber victories would be a great double, 10Euro would return 410Euro...

GOOFY
County player

Post by GOOFY »

Sorry Hocker, just cant take you serious with Ron Jeremy lookin at me that way :)

noodles
Junior A

Post by noodles »

would'nt mind a bit of that. Tubber sound good at 4/1. Don't think i'd waste money on the bridge though
move the ball fast into the full forward line

GOOFY
County player

Post by GOOFY »

Powers have dem priced :shock: