Kildare vs Offaly - 2009 Football Championship

A forum to air your views on Offaly GAA matters and beyond.
bazza
All Star

Re: Kildare vs Offaly - 2009 Football Championship

Post by bazza »

:shock: Please God don't let that be anything like a team Cribben puts out on Sunday. How is Reynolds all of a sudden a certain starter with everyone on this forum? And what's the story with Conor Carroll? I don't remember the lad doing one thing in the league, the Division 3 League that is, to suggest he's anywhere near good enough to be a Championship starter.

bracknaghboy
All Star

Post by bracknaghboy »

This is the last I'm going to post about this match..............I've seen the team and we are going to be beaten by more than 6pts. That team wont live with Kildare :cry: No full or centre back and a mid field that will struggle for ball. Enough said.

Johnno81
County player

Post by Johnno81 »

Was going to put a few pound on us at 3/1 (Paddy Power) but after seeing the team, im not as confident!!! The spine of the team just doesnt look right but we will have to wait and see on Sunday!!!

imahick
Junior C

Post by imahick »

in fairness lad, its only a bit of banter. Here's to a cracking game on Sunday.

From Everyone at the Kildare Gaa Forum.

Lone Shark
All Star
Club: Ferbane

Post by Lone Shark »

uibhfhailiabu wrote:
1. Alan Mulhall, Walsh Island
2. Stephen Lonergan, Birr
3. Conor Evans, St Oliver Plunkett’s/ Eoghan Ruadh
4. Brian Darby, Rhode
5. Matthew Mitchell, Clara
6. Richie Dalton, Edenderry
7. Karol Slattery, Gracefield
8. Niall Smith, Gracefield
9. Conor Carroll, Raheen
10. Sean Ryan, Birr
11. Niall McNamee, Rhode
12. Ken Casey, St Brigid’s
13. Thomas Deehan, Clara
14. John Reynolds, Clara
15. William Mulhall, Walsh Island
:shock: :shock:

Okay then....didn't see that coming. I was worried about him picking three or even four corner forwards, so what do they do? They pick five. It's attacking, I'll give it that.

I like the pace in the half forward line, I like the fact that there is good mobility in the team and above all I like the fact that it's a team picked to go out and attack Kildare rather than just trying to suffocate them and win the game 1-6 to 0-7.

Having said that, I count five guys making their championship debut, not to mention three or four more who weren't on the scene last year - it's very different to say the least. Richie Dalton at centre back is a huge call and he has a big day in front of him, while I never would have thought of Lonergan as a corner back. He's an all round footballer who belongs at 5, 7, 9, 10, 11 or 12 but I never would have said two. I'd worry about how he'd cope if Doyle strolled up to top of the left at 3:58 on Sunday, as is highly possible.

I don't like Niall on the forty at all, but if he is there, it has to be centre forward and hopefully it'll give Kildare something to think about. Seán Ryan will be a very different kind of threat and he and Casey could cause them problems on the wings, though hopefully the inside line can create a bit of space to run into.

No sacred cows either, which is a good thing.

I'm nervous about it, but the more I think about it, this is a team picked on current form and picked to go out and win the game the right way. Feck it this Cribben man might be more Biffo than we thought.
Kevin Egan. Signed out of respect for players and all involved with Offaly.

Archangel
All Star
Club: Ballycommon

Post by Archangel »

imahick wrote:in fairness lad, its only a bit of banter. Here's to a cracking game on Sunday.

From Everyone at the Kildare Gaa Forum.
No problem there horse,.. anyone who takes any of this personally needs their head checked. :wink:

But, back on topic, Cribben must be sure of a direction he wants to go. He must think this is a team to beat Kildare, as he knows their players so well. Very few wanted his job a few months back, but he's come on and done a job and done it his way. So if it looks a bit strange, so be it, we can judge it when the Championship run is over.
Blasphemy is a victimless crime

red exile
County player
Club: edenderry

Post by red exile »

i think there is definitly a long term objective with this selection, the average age has come down considerably and the more prominent players are been given central roles , with exception of centre half back , but richie is a very good player and has ability to field the ball and help out mid field which will struggle abit on sunday, although the team is picked there will be a number of positional changes at the throw in, its gonna be tough and portlaoise pitch will be in a bad way after all the rain, but if everyone plays to their ability and with plenty of support in the stands i am sure they will do us proud

True Red
All Star

Post by True Red »

Review from RTE.ie
Kildare v Offaly
Friday, 22 May 2009 09:15
With Dublin's dominance of the eastern province becoming less absolute than at anytime in the past four years, Kildare look a decent bet to be team to replace them as Leinster champions.

The Lilywhites find themselves in a much better situation than this time last year when defeat to Wicklow in Croke Park had many thinking that Kieran McGeeney was not the right man for the job.

They recovered, however, and qualifier wins over Cavan, Limerick and Fermanagh took them to the All-Ireland quarter-finals where they gave a decent account of themselves against Cork.

That was followed up with a solid run in Division Two of the league where they were just pipped to a final place by Cork and Monaghan.

Like last year, the key for the Lilywhites will be momentum, and with that in mind the performance on Sunday will be as important as a victory, particularly as they are strong favourites to overcome Offaly.

The Faithful, for their part, had a reasonable spring, finishing third behind Tipperary and Down in Division Three.

Veteran Ciaran McManus has been working in England this past while, and, although he featured in most of the league games, the suggestion is that his absence from training will see him overlooked for a starting position.

It would be a brave decision for manager Tom Cribben and his selectors to make, but the old saying does says that fortune favours such behaviour.

If Cribben feels his side have could live with Kildare for the first 40 to 50 minutes without McManus, it would be great to have the luxury of bringing on the Tubber clubman for the latter stages of a close game.

If, on the other hand, Kildare overpower their McManus-less opponents early on, then Cribben would be open to criticism.

The harrowing result against Wicklow will still be in the back of Kildare minds, and the desire to avoid an early provincial exit for the second year in a row should provide the requisite motivation.

Verdict: Kildare.
If you don’t stand for something you fall for anything

GOOFY
County player

Post by GOOFY »

Honestly think that physically we wont be at the races on sunday.

Unless we can keep the game very open i dont think we have a hope, kildare by seven.

And i hope to bjasus im here eating my words on monday morning with the mother and father of all hangovers. :|
First ball is when you make your mark

Bord na Mona man
All Star
Club: Clara

Post by Bord na Mona man »

A bit surprised at the team selection, but I can see the logic to it. While the team lacks size and physique, it has much more pace. Ideally Dalton, Casey and Mulhall would have featured in the league more, so there is a risk.

However with already slow players like Rafferty, Sullivan and Alan McNamee off form, then it is better not to start them.
Kildare run with the ball with speed and numbers and we can't have Offaly players getting easily burned!
The bench now has plenty of options, if one of these new lads isn't having a good day.

There is a bigger risk in starting the long standing names and dithering whether to take them off or not, if they play badly.

Kevin
All Star

Post by Kevin »

COME ON OFFALY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Kevin Clancey. Signed out of respect for players and all involved with Offaly.

True Red
All Star

Post by True Red »

From a club point of view I am delighted for Richie and wish him the very best of luck on Sunday. From what i hear he is in there on merit and having talked to a couple of the Clara boys (who are playing on Sunday) two months ago after the final league match they had this flagged even at that time. I would have no worries about him rising to the challenge posed on Sunday.

The selection of this Offaly team has all the hallmarks of a Tom Cribbin selection and having borne witness to the man back in 2001,let me just say that he is one of the shrewest operators in the business and he has a canny ability of getting things right on the day. He is also hugely ambitious and his selection tells me that he is in here for the long haul. He obviously sees potential in this Offaly side and i believe he has a set game plan ready to take Kildare on. What it is will obviously be confined to the squad but dont be one bit surprised if Offaly turn over Kildare on Sunday.

I am no longer travelling in hope (as I was earlier in the week)to Portlaoise on Sunday, but rather anticipation at an Offaly performance full of never say die spirit,attacking brio,resolute tackling in defence and also a little bit of luck(every team needs a bit).

C'mon the Faithful to f*ck.
If you don’t stand for something you fall for anything

Georgio1
All Star

Post by Georgio1 »

I agree with the last few posters. Very little has been coming out of the camp, except that things are going very well. Some of these lads did not play during the league, the new guys were unproven and he went with experience in order to try and secure our status, especially on the slower ground.
Having seen the lads up close he has gone with a few serious calls.
Some guys are questioning Shapers selection, if you were at any of the league games,the lad tried his heart out and has come up with some serious scores.
I for one am delighted to see Richie in there at Centre Back, for years we have struggled here, now we have one who with time and experience will man this position ,hopefully as successfully as his clubmate did in the past!
Conor Carroll is honest and hardworking and has done well over the league, he will gain by the experience.
Ken Casey is a bolt from the blue, I know he has the talent, but has he the committment? He has obviously shown something serious in training, along with Willie Mulall. I dont see CAsey stopping a wing back running up the field.
Niall Darby and Joe Quinn would have started had they not carried injuries over the last few weeks. MCManus has had little or no traing, but sure he will have a big role to play if we are to get over the line. Alan Mc has shown nothing over the last few months, and it is hard as Captain, but he again will be an option, and if he is not fired up to come on then I dont know why he is in there at all.

Overall I am realistic, Cribbin is building for the future, he has an opportunity to try and surprise Kildare. He now has options on the bench, say 2 of the newer guys dont fire, then he can make quick enough changes. If we do well and are well in it with 20 mins to go we have serious options to get us over the line.
I am glad he is showing this bottle and best of luck to him and the squad. Come on lads, Friday before Championship, if me Granny was going out full forward, I'd feel the optimism coursing.
OOOh Fallya,OOOh Fallya!

turk
All Star

Post by turk »

I am glad that we are not starting with basically the same team that started for our championship matches last year.

I am happy with the selection. We have strong options on the bench, all with a point to prove.

Up Offaly!!

faithful till I die
Senior

Post by faithful till I die »

Not sure about some of these changes to be honest but having said that it was time for a fresh approach. There is no doubt that some players had grown stale and/or lost some motivation. Only time will tell if Cribben is a genius or if he has too much faith in these new inclusions. Its clever in one way in that if Offaly give a good account of themselves & lose by a point or two at least he will be building for the future rather than just losing with the same old faces. I honestly have no idea how this is going to pan out. Its feckin great to have the championship back. Come On Offaly ! :mrgreen:
Offaly awoke never more to sleep.