Championship games on week nights

A forum to air your views on Offaly GAA matters and beyond.
Dynamo
Junior C

Championship games on week nights

Post by Dynamo »

I see alot of the hurling first round games are to be played on Friday evening and i think theres even a game on Thursday. I always assumed that it made sense to fix championship games for the weekend either Saturday or Sunday.

This isnt exactly fair to players who are working during the week or students who are away during the week.

TheManFromFerbane
All Star
Club: Ferbane

Re: Championship games on week nights

Post by TheManFromFerbane »

Absolutely horrible. I hate weekday championship matches. You have to work during the day, spend anything up to 2 hours travelling. You stuff a dinner into you before you leave and the amptmosphere at the game is dead.

This all leads into what will probably be a flat, poor game and then the supporters leave giving out about the standard of club championship.

It's a joke and to be honest I've yet to hear a good reason for it.
The night is darkest before the dawn

joe bloggs
All Star

Post by joe bloggs »

TheManFromFerbane wrote:Absolutely horrible. I hate weekday championship matches. You have to work during the day, spend anything up to 2 hours travelling. You stuff a dinner into you before you leave and the amptmosphere at the game is dead.

This all leads into what will probably be a flat, poor game and then the supporters leave giving out about the standard of club championship.

It's a joke and to be honest I've yet to hear a good reason for it.

Not enough referees in offaly to play a full championship round (ie Senior/Int./Jun.) over a weekend. As it is they have to double up. I hear that they got 11 new refs this year in offaly but how many will last. The abuse they get is unreal. I know they make mistakes but so does everyone else. If you look at drogba last night the disgrace was that he missed a sitter himself
'if your not part of the solution, your part of the problem' J. McClean

TheManFromFerbane
All Star

Post by TheManFromFerbane »

joe bloggs wrote:Not enough referees in offaly to play a full championship round (ie Senior/Int./Jun.) over a weekend. As it is they have to double up. I hear that they got 11 new refs this year in offaly but how many will last. The abuse they get is unreal. I know they make mistakes but so does everyone else. If you look at drogba last night the disgrace was that he missed a sitter himself
Anyone who knows me knows I'm 100% behind refs and realise their importance to the games. That's a fair enough argument then but it still falls back on the county board. There were issues raised by LS in this thread <I'll find it now> that were never dealt with.

Sure why would you ref in this county when the county board punishes no one when you get attacked.
The night is darkest before the dawn

Lone Shark
All Star

Post by Lone Shark »

TheManFromFerbane wrote:
joe bloggs wrote:Not enough referees in offaly to play a full championship round (ie Senior/Int./Jun.) over a weekend. As it is they have to double up. I hear that they got 11 new refs this year in offaly but how many will last. The abuse they get is unreal. I know they make mistakes but so does everyone else. If you look at drogba last night the disgrace was that he missed a sitter himself
Anyone who knows me knows I'm 100% behind refs and realise their importance to the games. That's a fair enough argument then but it still falls back on the county board. There were issues raised by LS in this thread <I'll find it now> that were never dealt with.

Sure why would you ref in this county when the county board punishes no one when you get attacked.

Therein lies the rub. If a club and an individual gets away scot free with attacking a referee after a game, would you be well in the head to volunteer for refereeing duty in that case? We have a huge problem in this county in that regard and until someone steps up to deal with it, not even by rehashing the past but by doing whatever it takes to ensure that the club gets banned for any future such incidents, then there will be plenty of potential referees who'll hide in the shadows rather than take up the whistle.
Kevin Egan. Signed out of respect for players and all involved with Offaly.