Offaly v Wexford - NHL Division 2 Final (03/05/2009)

A forum to air your views on Offaly GAA matters and beyond.
black and red exile
All Star

Re: Offaly v Wexford - NHL Division 2 Final (03/05/2009)

Post by black and red exile »

It has to be the town end again, the more supporters we get there the better, there will be a busy couple of months ahead so let's start the Summer off by getting right behind the hurlers on Sunday, beating Wexford and getting back to division 1 for 2010.

faithful till I die
Senior

Post by faithful till I die »

Bord na Mona man wrote:Town End Terrace in Thurles? Where Offaly fans were on that famous day against Clare in '98.
Town End it is then. Lets be heard lads no matter what. Come on you faithful.
Offaly awoke never more to sleep.

Bord na Mona man
All Star
Club: Clara

Post by Bord na Mona man »

Town End terrace lads, Town End!
Both terraces will be open, so don't up at the wrong end

Plain of the Herbs
All Star
Club: Lusmagh

Post by Plain of the Herbs »

Newsflash! Fitzhenry is not in goal on Sunday! What's going on here? A changing of the guard? Or just being rested?
Pat Donegan. Signed out of respect for players and all involved with Offaly.

GreatDayForTheParish
All Star

Post by GreatDayForTheParish »

Plain of the Herbs wrote:Newsflash! Fitzhenry is not in goal on Sunday! What's going on here? A changing of the guard? Or just being rested?
Is this credible? If so it's very interesting, if very unexpected. Might be worth testing the new lad with a few high balls and early shots if the opportuinity arises.

Kevin
All Star

Post by Kevin »

http://www.hoganstand.com/ArticleForm.aspx?ID=110937

If the above is at all accurate, it looks like we've got a full team for tomorrow.

I know one of our regulars was asking for Hanniffy at midfield (wish granted apparently).

Will be field marshalling at our local tournament for the Native American derivative of hurling (lacrosse), but thinking of our boys and those that are there screaming like mad with every touch of the sliotar.

Best Wishes for a fine day AND THE RESULT!!!!!!!!!

COME ON OFFALY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Kevin Clancey. Signed out of respect for players and all involved with Offaly.

flairgun
Junior A

Post by flairgun »

Yes! Division 1 here we come!

Listening to Radio 3 here in Boston, Offaly have just won the game and all Johnny Flaherty can do is moan about the forwards.

Kevin
All Star

Post by Kevin »

EXCELLENT NEWS!!!!!!

Onward to the Championship now.

Great work lads!!!!!!!!!!!

Oskar
Intermediate
Club: Clara

Post by Oskar »

This is great news. Of course, trying to stay up next year is a battle in itself but still 8)

red exile
County player
Club: edenderry

Post by red exile »

a team in a relegation battle in div 1 will be better prepared for the championship than a team that canters thru div 2. we can take heart from the win today knowing that this team has improved steadily since the start of the league and deserve to be in the top hurling division next year

Lone Shark
All Star
Club: Ferbane

Post by Lone Shark »

Just back in the door from today's game and the overwhelming feeling is one of relief. The standard of hurling on display today from both teams, comprised of individuals who have proven that they can hurl, is the main reason why we had to get out of this division. The effort was total but each side was carrying plenty of passengers and one suspects that if either team was to have gone out against Kilkenny or Tipp today, the result would have been harrowing.

The importance of David Kenny and David Franks returning was clear to see, while I thought Brendan Murphy, Derek Molloy and James Rigney really hurled with fire and enthusiasm. After that, the good news was limited - except for the result, which was paramount.
flairgun wrote: Listening to Radio 3 here in Boston, Offaly have just won the game and all Johnny Flaherty can do is moan about the forwards.
In fairness, if we had lost this game any of the players who I named above would have been entitled to slap any of the other five starting forwards silly - not one of them made a meaningful contribution. They even failed to simply hold up the ball in the attack, never mind use it well and convert it into scores. Every one of them were behind their men all day, while Brian Carroll was so bad that I can only assume he was injured - he simply cannot have been fully fit and hurling like that. Hopefully today will be the wake up call that's needed, because you can be damn sure that Wexford will come on from this with a home game to come.

However all that said, as long as we don't get relegated into the Christy Ring Cup this summer, it would be very difficult to envisage a situation where this would go in the books as a bad year - promotion was simply that important.
Kevin Egan. Signed out of respect for players and all involved with Offaly.

joe bloggs
All Star

Post by joe bloggs »

I said it at the start of the year that promotiion from Div 2 was the most important thing for us this year and thankfully it has been delivered. However now that goal has been achieved i hope the players dont take their eye off the ball for the rest of the year. We have a terrible record in Wexford park in the league so a win there in the Championship would really put the icing on the cake after today. Well done to the lads and i hope they enjoy themselves tonight.
'if your not part of the solution, your part of the problem' J. McClean

Kevin
All Star

Post by Kevin »

Lone Shark wrote:Just back in the door from today's game and the overwhelming feeling is one of relief. The standard of hurling on display today from both teams, comprised of individuals who have proven that they can hurl, is the main reason why we had to get out of this division. The effort was total but each side was carrying plenty of passengers and one suspects that if either team was to have gone out against Kilkenny or Tipp today, the result would have been harrowing.

The importance of David Kenny and David Franks returning was clear to see, while I thought Brendan Murphy, Derek Molloy and James Rigney really hurled with fire and enthusiasm. After that, the good news was limited - except for the result, which was paramount.
flairgun wrote: Listening to Radio 3 here in Boston, Offaly have just won the game and all Johnny Flaherty can do is moan about the forwards.
In fairness, if we had lost this game any of the players who I named above would have been entitled to slap any of the other five starting forwards silly - not one of them made a meaningful contribution. They even failed to simply hold up the ball in the attack, never mind use it well and convert it into scores. Every one of them were behind their men all day, while Brian Carroll was so bad that I can only assume he was injured - he simply cannot have been fully fit and hurling like that. Hopefully today will be the wake up call that's needed, because you can be damn sure that Wexford will come on from this with a home game to come.

However all that said, as long as we don't get relegated into the Christy Ring Cup this summer, it would be very difficult to envisage a situation where this would go in the books as a bad year - promotion was simply that important.
How do we achieve/avoid Christy Ring?

faithful till I die
Senior

Post by faithful till I die »

Its the morning after the night before & on reflection we have to be fairly satisfied. When we really needed to win we dug deep & produced the goods. Having said that we need to look at it constructively too. The defence was outstanding with Kenny & Oakley in particular having great games but there are a lot of questions to be answered in the forward line. Molloy apart the entire front unit was disappointing.
Why is Joe Bergin continually under-performing ? Even his work rate was very poor yesterday. Does Shane Dooley have the necessary bottle to be our free taker in big games ? Why the management team was so slow to make changes in the forward line when it clearly was not working ? Are Bergin & Dooley untouchables & no matter how they perform they will be left on ? Do we have any other realistic options ?
As I said I know we have to be happy with the win but if we have any chance of improvement the management need to do some serious work with the forwards, we cant always rely on our defence to be that good. In my opinion its asking for trouble.
Offaly awoke never more to sleep.

Georgio1
All Star

Post by Georgio1 »

Great result yesterday, and congratulations to the team.
However result aside anyone who was at the match will have to agree this was a truly pathetic effort from 5 of our 6 forwards. Apart from Molloy, and in fairness Joe Brady continued to battle and won some ball, the body language of these guys was terrible. Ball after ball was played in and they were continuously behind their men. Joe Bergin had an horrific second half, he had the ball in his hand once in the half hour. Wexford were poor yesterday and we should have beaten them well Shane Dooley on yesterday's performance has very little to offer if this is his level of free taking under pressure.
On the plus we defended well and in the second half Murphy in particular was a man possessed, clearing ball after ball.
Joe Dooley has serious work to do on his forwards, but he has 3 weeks, with the pressure off after Keeper, backs, midfield and Molloy delivered Div 1 status!