County Under 21 football championship

A forum to air your views on Offaly GAA matters and beyond.
TheManFromFerbane
All Star
Club: Ferbane

Re: County Under 21 football championship

Post by TheManFromFerbane »

Lone Shark wrote: Where do they think all these lads are from Monday to Friday?
Ah sure there only off in college drinking the whole time. Sure everyone knows going to college is basically one big p*ss up session. They go on about having projects and exams but sure everyone knows that their a piece of p*ss in college anyway.

:roll: :roll: :roll:
The night is darkest before the dawn

Hyper
All Star

Post by Hyper »

Rhoderunner, not for wanting to appear pedantic but is St Michael's not Rhode and Croghan and the will play St Patrick's who comprise of Edenderry and Ballyfore! BTW will St Micks get back on the winning trail in this game?

RhodeRunner
Intermediate

Post by RhodeRunner »

Hyper wrote:Rhoderunner, not for wanting to appear pedantic but is St Michael's not Rhode and Croghan and the will play St Patrick's who comprise of Edenderry and Ballyfore! BTW will St Micks get back on the winning trail in this game?
Your spot on buddy.. I took the lazy option. Shoot me :)

Well i was really looking forward to this game & then i was told St Patricks aren't training that well (Not getting the numbers at training) plus the're missing a few of the schools lads that i would have expected to start. So My prediction for this game is a cakewalk for St Michaels.

Anyone able to post the results of all the minor championship games from 3 years ago?

RhodeRunner
Intermediate

Post by RhodeRunner »

Result: St Michaels 3.10 St Pats 1.5

My man of the match Ken Casey
scored about 2-4 i think

Lone Shark
All Star
Club: Ferbane

Post by Lone Shark »

Kilcormac/Killoughey beat Wheery today 2-7 to 0-9.

Very disappointing, but definitely K/K were the better team of the two. Both sides missed a lot of chances, Wheery shooting a lot of wides from point chances while K/K could have had another two or three goals easily. Dan Currams was back to full fitness after struggling with sickness for the first game and he was the difference. I don't know what he scored but he was very accomplished on the ball and dare I say it, looked like a very decent footballer in the making. Certainly the best player on the field today.

Colin Egan was a huge loss from the Wheery perspective, while a couple of other good players had slight off days.

Also, Martin Kirwan should never be let referee a football game again. Once he threw the ball in he clearly thought his involvement was over. Several tackles around the neck were let run while pick up was not whistled once all day. Over the course of the hour it probably balanced out, but Bryan Lonergan in particular could feel very aggrieved - he should have had five or six more frees and probably should have had opponents curtailed by yellow cards a couple of times and instead he was just left with nothing. On the other side, Wheery seemed to take better advantage of the lack of enforcement of the pick up rule, getting away with it on several occasions. My main concern was that if the game got any way out of control, it would have been largely down to Kirwan's lack of policing.

If K/K choose to get down to work and actually train for this, they might surprise a few people. That's far from a given though.
Kevin Egan. Signed out of respect for players and all involved with Offaly.

keephercountry
Junior B

Post by keephercountry »

Shamrocks beat St.colmens today in muchlagh by 3 or 4 points.
great game. Nigel dunne was outstanding again .
I dont think they will win the championship but they wont be easy to beat.

OY13
Intermediate

Post by OY13 »

Was at the Broughans and Colms game last weekend, Two very poor teams, excellent come back by Colms. Very few players impressed, midfielder for Colms was good and kicked a few nice points, bracken wing forward scored two nice goals. For Broughans Brian Connor scored 1:1 and Willie Mulhall 1:9, e was best player on the pitch by a mile. Cant see Colms progressing much further
Last edited by OY13 on Mon Feb 23, 2009 12:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

On the Ditch
Junior C

Post by On the Ditch »

What is the draw for the u21 semi-final? When will it be played?

redser
County player

Post by redser »

Was it this crop of KK minor players that played against Rhode in the minor final 3 years ago or so? I remember them having a very strong side back then.

On the Ditch
Junior C

Post by On the Ditch »

Semi-final draw:

St Michaels v Tullamore
Clara v KK/Shamrocks

I believe that Tullamore narrowly beat St Colms by 3 pts last night, with Colm's a man down for 3/4 of the game.
Any match reports?

Are Tullamore capable of retaining their title?
My prediction is a St Michaels v Clara final, with Clara being crowned champions for the 1st time since 1996.