St Vincents to enter a senior football team

A forum to air your views on Offaly GAA matters and beyond.
Lone Shark
All Star
Club: Ferbane

Re: St Vincents to enter a senior football team

Post by Lone Shark »

Again I must own up to a touch of ignorance on this issue - if clubs choose to amalgamate as such, I'm still not convinced why they must automatically enter the senior championship. I understand that there would be no point in doing this were that not to be the case, but what is the logical basis for saying that the parish team would be a senior, as opposed to intermediate, team from inception?

Likewise, if this happens, what is to prevent Birr, Coolderry, Kinnitty and Drumcullen from doing the same? (I'm not saying that this would be a bad thing per se, merely that I don't think that they'd be given a free ride to the same extent.

The second issue is the club players of the four teams involved - if we presume that the parish team is going to put together a panel of around 28 players, well that still leaves another 100 or so who currently play ball with the the four clubs who are now going to have to be looked after too - certainly it's not fair that an entire Junior A or Junior B championship gets held up because the Parish team are busy playing senior and Capincur or Ballycommon can't play the same weekend.

A lot of logistical difficulties have to be cleared up before this can be put in place, realistically.
Kevin Egan. Signed out of respect for players and all involved with Offaly.

INtheNET
Junior B

Post by INtheNET »

if you really think peter daly is good enough 2 play senior football 4 offaly ur a joke mr tomas...wouldnt let him tog out 4 de offaly junior side along side darl wyer...no tullamore player ever gets a look in wit offaly(example gary heffernan)let junior players play junior....

Oceans 15
County player

Post by Oceans 15 »

INtheNET wrote:if you really think peter daly is good enough 2 play senior football 4 offaly ur a joke mr tomas...wouldnt let him tog out 4 de offaly junior side along side darl wyer...no tullamore player ever gets a look in wit offaly(example gary heffernan)let junior players play junior....
That is some statement to make that no Tullamore players never get a look in !!!!! You obviously don't know much about it cos Gary was on the panel under Pauric Nolan, in 2000 I think it was. And if you know Gary I don't think he would be willing to give the commitment for Inter-County Football.

P.S Who is Daryl Wyer ??

INtheNET
Junior B

Post by INtheNET »

well tats 9years ago now pall...9 years is a long time do ya not think...2players from de starting 15...one playing in the wrong place....can any1 ever tell me how paul McConway played in goal for de minor's n now plays wing back for de senior's????if u ask me he's 2 lose for wing back n is a far better goalie...lets go like the Dubs n play wit quick kick outs..

Oceans 15
County player

Post by Oceans 15 »

INtheNET wrote:well tats 9years ago now pall...9 years is a long time do ya not think...2players from de starting 15...one playing in the wrong place....can any1 ever tell me how paul McConway played in goal for de minor's n now plays wing back for de senior's????if u ask me he's 2 lose for wing back n is a far better goalie...lets go like the Dubs n play wit quick kick outs..
Well tell me so who you think off the current Tullamore Senior Panel is good enough for Offaly or even worth a try out ?

Silken Thomas
All Star

Post by Silken Thomas »

INtheNET wrote:if you really think peter daly is good enough 2 play senior football 4 offaly ur a joke mr tomas...wouldnt let him tog out 4 de offaly junior side along side darl wyer...no tullamore player ever gets a look in wit offaly(example gary heffernan)let junior players play junior....
I never said that. I implied that when Peter Daly( and Ger Treacy was younger) he could have definitly played Senior Club Football and maybe more in the future. To use an example of your own look at Paul McConway.
He went from Minor Goalkeeper to Leinster Senior County starter in two years :!:

Incidentally I heard Peter Daly was called in by Richie Connor before the week of the Roscommon match. Haven't see Peter Daly play in a while so I will reserve judgement on him.

The point was and still remains about Peter Daly. At 18 he was a talented player, decent size and seemed to relish responsibility. If he had been part of the Tullamore club for example who knows would what would happen.
The world is a stage, but the play is badly cast.

bluegoalie
Junior B

Post by bluegoalie »

Paul McConway was playing in Goals for the CBS the year befor Minor due to injury from what I recall! Phillo picked him for Goals as he put in some huge performances for them and they had a good run in leinster-but he was always an outfield player, He was a corner forward for Tullamore when they won the Under 14 feile in Croke Park, scoring the winning goal!!! and played corner back in the Tullamore minor Team that beat Ballycumber in Mucklagh!!!

Id play him as a wing forward for definate!!!!

Tullamore Players TALENTED enough for the offaly panel (other committments aside):

Dooley
O'Grady
Hogan
Daly
Egan
Conlon
McConway
Keane.

I would love to see a game organised by the offaly panel and 15 players playing for there club only!!!! who'd win that one???

Lone Shark
All Star

Post by Lone Shark »

bluegoalie wrote:Paul McConway was playing in Goals for the CBS the year befor Minor due to injury from what I recall! Phillo picked him for Goals as he put in some huge performances for them and they had a good run in leinster-but he was always an outfield player, He was a corner forward for Tullamore when they won the Under 14 feile in Croke Park, scoring the winning goal!!! and played corner back in the Tullamore minor Team that beat Ballycumber in Mucklagh!!!

Id play him as a wing forward for definate!!!!

Tullamore Players TALENTED enough for the offaly panel (other committments aside):

Dooley
O'Grady
Hogan
Daly
Egan
Conlon
McConway
Keane.

I would love to see a game organised by the offaly panel and 15 players playing for there club only!!!! who'd win that one???
I understand what you're doing in supporting your club, but can we please stop talking about hypothetical players who the manager is not allowed consider? It's unfair to the lads who do want to play for Offaly football to be constantly comparing them to fellas who are not interested in doing so, but who also don't get to have their skills examined under the same harsh light of intercounty competition.

Of the list you have above, Cathal Daly has served Offaly very well for years but his time has past, while Shane Dooley and Gearóid O'Grady are committed to other sports and there is no point talking about them in a football context. James Keane also declined to be involved this year, leaving Conlon, Egan, Hogan and McConway. Paul McConway is not playing as well as he did two years ago, but he is in the squad and got every chance. Of the other three, I'd be particularly interested in how Stephen Egan gets on this Summer, but all three will get their chance to prove their worth.

bluegoalie
Junior B

Post by bluegoalie »

Sorry Loneshark i didn mean to push the Tullamore issue as much as it sounded and would like to stat- Tullamore is not my home club :lol: . I just think its a pity that the offaly manager cant select the 15 best players in the county, due to other committments, lack of interest or whatever!! Tullamore was just the best example of this.

Lone Shark
All Star

Post by Lone Shark »

bluegoalie wrote:Sorry Loneshark i didn mean to push the Tullamore issue as much as it sounded and would like to stat- Tullamore is not my home club :lol: . I just think its a pity that the offaly manager cant select the 15 best players in the county, due to other committments, lack of interest or whatever!! Tullamore was just the best example of this.
Apologies for presuming your allegiance, a combination of your post and your handle led me to that conclusion! :oops:

Funnily enough, I tend to disagree slightly with your point though. I think that if preparing for Offaly is as demanding as it should be, then it's only natural that several players wouldn't be in a position to commit. Obviously the Dooley and O'Grady instances are slightly different as football is their second sport and that's fair enough, however not everyone out there is a teacher or a student. For example when I was working with Ladbrokes, my schedule wouldn't have permitted giving the necessary time and effort and I'm sure several of the posters on this board can identify with that. Most people in their twenties go through phases in their lives where their work takes an excessively large toll, or when personal factors come to the fore, so it's only natural that on any given year, three or four lads who might be good enough to be in a county panel would look at what it takes and decide that it's not for them.

Equally, it's a good sign too that there are one or two who just aren't "interested" enough. Again, that's usually code for "not willing to go the extra mile". Human nature suggests that every county would have one or two lads who have the talent but who are lazy as they come, and I hate to see lads like that managing to stay the course. My gut feeling is that if the teams were working hard enough, lads like that would be burned off.

bluegoalie
Junior B

Post by bluegoalie »

I agree with what your sayin but I just think for some reason too many players in offaly wont committ to the Team, alot more than 3 or 4. I think some of it was down to the fact that there was a feeling around offaly that there was a poor set up in place and the Team was going nowhere, I think (and hope) thats changed now.

I think after the club championship we will see 2-3 players from clubs like Tubber, Ballycumber, Erin Rovers and Gracefield coming onto the panel!