Your Offaly Championship Team 2009

A forum to air your views on Offaly GAA matters and beyond.
lovelyhurling
County player
Club: de field

Re: Your Offaly Championship Team 2009

Post by lovelyhurling »

over the past few years ive seen a good few club matches round the county and the best midfielder ive seen to date after niall smith is declan kelly. I know there are question marks over discipline but why hasnt he been given more of a chance?
pull hard on your man, he's no relation

sIR bIFFSALOT
Junior B

Post by sIR bIFFSALOT »

lovelyhurling wrote:the best midfielder ive seen to date after niall smith is declan kelly
Ther's 2 good declan Kelly midfielders- Kilclonfert and Erin Rovers, both should be given a chance. I would have seen more of the Kilclonfert declan, who on his day can be excellent, great fielder of the ball.

Lone Shark
All Star
Club: Ferbane

Post by Lone Shark »

Silken Thomas wrote: Tyrone's play involved all forwards constantly moving and dragging defenders everywhere all the while trying to clear a zone 30 metres from the opposition goalmouth. This was then filled with one player who then had ample room to beat one defender or for a marauding defender to arrive at speed. It really impressed me especially when you had distinctly average inter county players like Ryan Mellon and Colm McCullagh notching up scores despite obvious limitations.

I claim no expertise in forward play but for me movement is essential. When a half back or midfielder is in possession he should be trying to hit a forward line where at least five of the six forwards are moving. Some of these runs are into space, some of these are dummy runs, all runs however are productive. Any backline hates to be moved. Movement stops backs double teaming, intercepting and breaking the ball from a forward.
Last Saturday night was a pretty strong endorsement of this philosophy. I was hugely impressed with Tyrone in this regard, and I'd say managers all across Ulstwr and beyond will have their work cut out figuring out how to counteract it.
Kevin Egan. Signed out of respect for players and all involved with Offaly.