St Vincents to enter a senior football team

A forum to air your views on Offaly GAA matters and beyond.
bracknaghboy
All Star

St Vincents to enter a senior football team

Post by bracknaghboy »

From Hogan Stand......I think they would be wasting their time. It could affect their individual clubs Junior chances. Any thoughts?

Daingean set for senior team
19 December 2008

Four clubs in the Daingean parish are to meet over the coming weeks to discuss the possibility of forming a senior football team in the area.

The four clubs involved Kilclonfert, Ballycommon, Cappincur and Daingean play underage football together as St Vincent’s, which has proven to be very successful in recent years and now the clubs are considering amalgamating at adult level.

If the clubs can guarantee on a compromise, it is expected that the county board will not step in their way of forming.

Silken Thomas
All Star

Re: St Vincents to enter a senior football team

Post by Silken Thomas »

When opportunity knocks it must be seized with both hands. For players who were more than able to hold their own at an Underage 'A' level, to play at the highest club level should be the natural progression .
I presume their existing Junior clubs will be still allowed to compete :?:

Two Cappincur players come to mind when reading this topic. In Ger Treacy and Peter Daly these were two players who could definitly have played Senior Club football and maybe more. This, if organised properly, is a great oppurtunity for both of them. The alternative is let them wallow in Junior football. Therefore there is no alternative :wink:

Genetics does not always determine a senior player. If the opportunity is there a player can be shoehorned onto their Senior team. The glass ceiling of football grades stimies the aforementioned. I'd definitly be in favour of any scheme which allows the cream of Junior clubs to test themselves accordingly.

The initial problems of colluquial political squabbling and the development of an onfield telepathy and spirit will be far more testing than obstacles faced by other Senior teams namely a dearth of talent or physical power.
The world is a stage, but the play is badly cast.

True Red
All Star

Post by True Red »

I have no objections to this idea but i am wondering how they can be let enter the Senior Championship?

With relegation to and promtion from the Intermediate Championship and the county boards move to keep 12 teams in the Senior championship a couple of years ago i am struggling to see how this will work?
Last edited by True Red on Mon Dec 22, 2008 3:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
If you don’t stand for something you fall for anything

bracknaghboy
All Star

Post by bracknaghboy »

Getting 2 teams to join would be hard. Getting 3 to join together is near impossible. 4 is out of the question. Each teams representitive will be pushing for as many of his own lads as possible on the team. Then when their respective teams lose a junior or intermediate match there will be lads saying that the senior team is a distraction with fellas away training etc. Trust me on this one folks, I've seen it before with St. Broughans and teams further afield. I hope it goes ahead because I love a good freak show :twisted:
Can they be religated if they enter a team??? With Bridgets up from Intermediate it would be hard for them to win a match as theres no mug teams left (well maybe only Edenderry :lol: ) Bottom line is it won't work.

Heshs Umpire
County player

Post by Heshs Umpire »

I doubt they can be stopped. As far as I know, if they want to do it, the rule is there allowing them to do it and County Board or anyone else can't stop it.
Happened in Laois recently and other counties too.

TheManFromFerbane
All Star
Club: Ferbane

Post by TheManFromFerbane »

True Red wrote:I have no objections to this idea but i am wondering how they can be let enter the Senior Championship?

With relegation to and promtion from the Intermediate Championship and the county boards move to keep 12 teams in the Senior championship a couple of years i am struggling to see how this will work?
I also would be interested to see what happens here? If there's no rule for stopping them what's the rule for allowing them?
The night is darkest before the dawn

Bord na Mona man
All Star
Club: Clara

Post by Bord na Mona man »

I know in Dublin, if you have enough cause, you can directly enter the senior championship.
I'm not sure if there is a county bye-law or not.

Bord na Mona man
All Star
Club: Clara

Post by Bord na Mona man »

I think this isn't a bad idea, so long as the existing players in the clubs aren't affected.
If a player isn't going to make the amalgamated team, he should still be getting the same amount of football as previously.

bracknaghboy
All Star

Post by bracknaghboy »

There must be some regulations in relation to this. If not then whats to stop 2 Junior C football teams combining and entering the senior football championship :shock: ??

Archangel
All Star
Club: Ballycommon

Post by Archangel »

This has been brewing for a few years now. There have been a few false dawns and several meetings over the last few years. This recent rise has been instigated by Cappincur, who charged 2 of their members with the task of contacting the other 3 clubs and seeing what framework would make this happen. I know for a fact that the Co. Board have given their guarantee to previous incarnations of this idea, but how they would implement it is another issue. My idea would be to expand the senior to 16. 4 groups of 4, quarters,semis, final.
So what if there are a couple of weaker teams, you still have MORE players playing senior football, which has to be the aim.
Blasphemy is a victimless crime

True Red
All Star

Post by True Red »

and what way would the relegation and promotion issues work?

The Magpie
All Star

Post by The Magpie »

Apparently, if this occurs, the Intermediate Champions from 2 years previous are automatically relegated.
The Dog chases the Car....the Car stops....the Dog can't Drive!

True Red
All Star

Post by True Red »

ah sh*te.

The Biff
All Star

Post by The Biff »

I know nothing of detail about this proposal, but my strong sentiment is "ABOUT TIME".

I can remember back when the parish did have a combined Senior team, and it fell apart due to the very type of squabbles that have been mentioned above. My hope would be that the "hunger" of many players and officials from all of the clubs to be involved in Senior Football will be able to give it a decent shot. The irony is that (to my knowledge anyway) there has rarely been any such "squabbles" among the under-age squads; no quotas from each different club, etc.

That only leaves the parish jersey to be sorted out. We used to have a version that combined the various colours of each club, and as you might guess ... it was dire. I would suggest something completely different from any of the parish clubs, so that it gains an identity of its own.

Come on d'Parish !
Peter Parker: I missed the part where that's MY problem.

Silken Thomas
All Star

Post by Silken Thomas »

Can anyone divulge what happened to the Killeigh/ Raheen combination of the mid 90's :?: .
I do believe they were competitive in the Senior Championship.
The world is a stage, but the play is badly cast.