Des Dolan Sr to manage shamrocks in 2009

A forum to air your views on Offaly GAA matters and beyond.
GOOFY
County player

Re: Des Dolan Sr to manage shamrocks in 2009

Post by GOOFY »

LS you could get more than accepted wisdom on your side, why dont you look for a copy of the clubs accounts for the year (your entitled to them) and ask for a breakdown of training expenses or wherever the payments to the manager is hidden.

I personally wrote out cheques in total of over €7000 for our trainer last year and for Eugene Magee to suggest that this is a recent phenomenon is a little disingenuous - this has been going on in our club since, actually we have had to pay every manager that i ever knew say about the last 20 years

If it was up to me then id like to see them pay tax on this income, anthing else is corruption, pure and simple.
First ball is when you make your mark

Muck Savage
All Star

Post by Muck Savage »

GOOFY wrote:LS you could get more than accepted wisdom on your side, why dont you look for a copy of the clubs accounts for the year (your entitled to them) and ask for a breakdown of training expenses or wherever the payments to the manager is hidden.

I personally wrote out cheques in total of over €7000 for our trainer last year and for Eugene Magee to suggest that this is a recent phenomenon is a little disingenuous - this has been going on in our club since, actually we have had to pay every manager that i ever knew say about the last 20 years

If it was up to me then id like to see them pay tax on this income, anthing else is corruption, pure and simple.
There are a number of different ways to look at this, correct they should pay tax, correct it should be blown open. Having said all that, if they were paying tax on this income then I reckon next year you'll write a check for over €11000, this will cover the tax and they'll still walk away with €7000. That will put more pressure on fund raising and like always it will fall back on the supporter to front the cash at the weekly lotto.

From a goverment point of view there is a nice bit to be picked up here. Between the trainer and physio (who'll be paid cash also), there could be in the region of €5M to be picked up here. But alas it will be you and I that foot this bill, PAYE sector gets nabbed again. I'm paying enough tax :( - shut up, sit down and say nothing :)

GOOFY
County player

Post by GOOFY »

Couldnt agree more Muck Savage - it would be the ordinary club supporter that would get it in the neck, having said that, if a manager was commanding €100 per night (which is pretty standard at the moment) he would have to charge € 185 next year to recover his net pay of €100 (based on high tax bracket) and i doubt if many clubs would be willing to fork up that amount.

I doubt if the govt. would bother with this just to recover €5 million - they would probably spend €6 million collecting it. :|
First ball is when you make your mark

golddigger
Junior C

Post by golddigger »

dont know why ye are all on about managers in shamrocks and clara gettin paid!!look at your own club before ye mention others :shock: 8)

Lone Shark
All Star
Club: Ferbane

Post by Lone Shark »

Muck Savage wrote:
GOOFY wrote:LS you could get more than accepted wisdom on your side, why dont you look for a copy of the clubs accounts for the year (your entitled to them) and ask for a breakdown of training expenses or wherever the payments to the manager is hidden.

There are a number of different ways to look at this, correct they should pay tax, correct it should be blown open. Having said all that, if they were paying tax on this income then I reckon next year you'll write a check for over €11000, this will cover the tax and they'll still walk away with €7000. That will put more pressure on fund raising and like always it will fall back on the supporter to front the cash at the weekly lotto.

From a goverment point of view there is a nice bit to be picked up here. Between the trainer and physio (who'll be paid cash also), there could be in the region of €5M to be picked up here. But alas it will be you and I that foot this bill, PAYE sector gets nabbed again. I'm paying enough tax :( - shut up, sit down and say nothing :)
In those two posts the difficulty in dealing with this has been summed up. While there might be widespread disagreement with the practice, it's not the easiest thing for anyone to do to go and cause a ruckus within their own club. I'll be honest and admit that I wouldn't have the stomach for that particular fight, even if I did suspect that it was ongoing.

Secondly, causing a fuss over the issue might not lead to the right response. it would be great if it were the case that picking this fight would lead to payments to managers ceasing, however it could just as easily end up with the burden on clubs being increased. I'm not saying that I'd disagree with that per se, but it's hardly ideal, particularly in a climate where clubs are going to find a lot of their benefactors pulling the reins in very tightly next year.

Realistically this is a fight that has to be fought from the top down. Start with the county game and go from there, writing severe sanctions into the rule book as well. Also, you'd have to get every county on board as well - so that if it was proved that Richie Connor or Joe Dooley were taking under the table payments (FOR EXAMPLE - of course!!), Offaly CB would agree not to take some spurious defence along the lines of how they also assist the physio or some such nonsense. Contest guilt or innocence by all means, but no Frank Murphy-esque weasel defences. I'm guessing that there would be no appetitite for rolling the dice if the sanction for paying a manager was five years without any capitation or running cost grants from HQ.
Kevin Egan. Signed out of respect for players and all involved with Offaly.

bob d
Junior C

Post by bob d »

shamrocks could well get relegated this year alot of their players are going or are gone travelling.......add this to neville and thomas coughlans reluctence to perform and young nigel dunne is apparently going to notts forrest for trials and their potential best player, stephan delaney is in ustralia........dessie has a job on his hands. clara will win the championship if they get their act together.