Des Dolan Sr to manage shamrocks in 2009

A forum to air your views on Offaly GAA matters and beyond.
Hocker
All Star

Des Dolan Sr to manage shamrocks in 2009

Post by Hocker »

Well lads, just heard last nite that Des Dolan Sr is to manage shamrocks in 2009....
what do ye think of that? Apparently he's commanding a fee of 150Euro per night? :roll: :roll:
How many other managerial changes have been made for next season?
Mick Devine is the new manager of Shannonbridge... And Ferbane are in the process of recruiting.
Haven't heard any other ones?

bracknaghboy
All Star

Re: Des Dolan Sr to manage shamrocks in 2009

Post by bracknaghboy »

150 a night isnt alot these days. I'm old school and don't think paying these guys is on at all. Dolan has been round the block donkeys years now, he must have seen it all over and over in his time. Surely he'll bring something to the Samrocks set up but its never a guarantee. Still he'll be averaging 450 a week...handy money when you think about it.
I often wonder when I hear about county boards (Ahem....our own for eample) spending 500,000 a year preparing teams......where on earth does this money go? A bit of gear dont cost a fortune (sponsers supply it). A supply of balls, hurls, footballs etc can't be costing that much. The odd stay in a cheap hotel? Money for buses etc. I know 10K won't go very far in this climate but half a million preparing teams and we end up with that performance against Down this year!!!
I wonder how much is spent on paying managers and what eactly is this written off as???????????
Has anybody got a breakdown of te county boards spending for the last year??

Bord na Mona man
All Star
Club: Clara

Post by Bord na Mona man »

Firstly it is foolish to start mentioning sums of money.
It is a serious allegation to make with no evidence.
"Everyone knows", "a lad told me" counts for diddly squat.

If it is going on in clubs, the way people suggest, it is short sighted and ultimately will damage the GAA.
The case for telling the GPA to shove it weakens when you allow this rot to set in.

bracknaghboy
All Star

Post by bracknaghboy »

I'm not having a go at you Bord Na Mona man but I don't think you've ever had much to do with any GAA club (either player or official wise) if you are under the illusion that dollars ain't changing hands! I think its a disgrace myself and am totally against it.
Also you seem to unsure of how people know this is going on.......well see someone has to actually hand over the readies at the end of a session :roll: !!
The people in a club that don't know exactly how much is being handed over to managers, trainers etc are in a minority. Its the great sin of the GAA and one thats never spoken of.
Theres intercounty managers taking 50, 60, 70k a year home.

Bord na Mona man
All Star

bracknaghboy wrote:I'm not having a go at you Bord Na Mona man but I don't think you've ever had much to do with any GAA club (either player or official wise) if you are under the illusion that dollars ain't changing hands! I think its a disgrace myself and am totally against it.
Also you seem to unsure of how people know this is going on.......well see someone has to actually hand over the readies at the end of a session :roll: !!
The people in a club that don't know exactly how much is being handed over to managers, trainers etc are in a minority. Its the great sin of the GAA and one thats never spoken of.
Theres intercounty managers taking 50, 60, 70k a year home.
Well I don't like to indulge in speculation, especially when it is a matter for the Revenue Commissioners and against GAA rules.
Ask 3 different people in a club and you'll hear different sums about how much a manager is getting.
There will always be an element of bar stool talk involved.
That's why I don't see much benefit in speculation.

bracknaghboy
All Star

Post by bracknaghboy »

I wouldn't be too worried about the Revenue Commissioners. Asking a GAA manager to submit tax returns would be like asking a prostitute to submit hers.........pointless because they are just going to deny any money ever changed hands in the first place :lol:

redser
County player

Post by redser »

Pat Flanagan is gone to Clara i heard again. Hes known to look for a good fee and im hearing a large additional amount is part of the package if he can win a championship. Big money there. Id fancy them under Flanagan.

Ye are right though, you will hear different things from everybody so its hard to know.

I doubt Dolan would take that job, they are known for having commitment issues.

turk
All Star

Post by turk »

Get off your moral high horse Bord na Mona man!!

Coolestown1562
Senior

Post by Coolestown1562 »

Re: Des Dolan
Is this the same club that paid a substantial sum to a player?
Contae an Riogh

Hocker
All Star

Post by Hocker »

Coolestown1562 wrote:Re: Des Dolan
:lol: :lol: :lol:
Yeah and apparently he's looking for a new club for 2009 :lol: :lol:

The Magpie
All Star

Post by The Magpie »

redser wrote:Pat Flanagan is gone to Clara i heard again. Hes known to look for a good fee and im hearing a large additional amount is part of the package if he can win a championship. Big money there. Id fancy them under Flanagan.
Yep. Pat Flanagan has returned to take the Clara job. He managed them to their last Dowling Cup win in 2003, reached a semi-final (beaten by Rhode) in 2004 and was ran in favour of Vinnie Claffey in 2005, who failed to win a single game - league or championship.

How he has returned after such treatment raises questions, quite possibly answered by BracknaghBoy :wink:

I know that he's also involved with the Westmeath Senior Team (as a selector) and I believe that he's the main man with the Westmeath U21s. How he'll juggle the three of these will be interesting. Expect much pressure and criticism when Clara experience their first wobble in 2009.
The Dog chases the Car....the Car stops....the Dog can't Drive!

The Magpie
All Star

Post by The Magpie »

Hocker wrote:
Coolestown1562 wrote:Re: Des Dolan
:lol: :lol: :lol:
Yeah and apparently he's looking for a new club for 2009 :lol: :lol:
Word is that he's going over to the Village :lol:
The Dog chases the Car....the Car stops....the Dog can't Drive!

Bord na Mona man
All Star

turk wrote:Get off your moral high horse Bord na Mona man!!
Careful, or you'll lose your €5 a post gig!

Fido
Intermediate

Post by Fido »

bracknaghboy wrote:I wouldn't be too worried about the Revenue Commissioners. Asking a GAA manager to submit tax returns would be like asking a prostitute to submit hers.........pointless because they are just going to deny any money ever changed hands in the first place
I think it's only a matter of time before this is blown wide open. It only takes a few stray words in one of those Christmas-market autobiographies or somebody not being careful in an interview, or more likely some disgruntled whistle-blower, before the whole thing is rumbled and the revenue come in. It's all very well thinking that people will turn a blind eye but at the end of the day not everyone in the country supports the GAA, what incentive is there for them to say nothing? And the sums involved are huge - here's Eugene McGee in today's indo...
A huge added cost for many clubs has been the recent development of illegal payments. Team managers are costing the clubs a small fortune and require colossal fundraising. If 1,000 club teams spend €100 a night on the team manager for 100 sessions, that amounts to €10m a year. That estimate is very, very conservative nowadays. The real figure would probably be nearer to €15m.
There's a man writing in a national paper using the words "illegal" and "€15m" in the same paragraph, and it's all a big secret? If politicians and developers can get hauled up over illegal payments what chance has a lad in a tracksuit and a stack of cones? I'm not in favour of a witchhunt here, I'm only saying it'll come to pass inevitably.
You could say it'll never happen, but I'd say there's a lot of lads who had offshore accounts set up by their local bank manager in the 80's who were told it'll never happen.

Lone Shark
All Star
Club: Ferbane

Post by Lone Shark »

Fido wrote: I'm not in favour of a witchhunt here, I'm only saying it'll come to pass inevitably.
Funnily enough, call me odd but I would be. There's clearly no internal will within the GAA to resolve this, so it looks like we're dependant on external forces to do the needful. Honest to God I'd blow the whistle myself if I had anything more than "accepted wisdom" to back it up.
Kevin Egan. Signed out of respect for players and all involved with Offaly.