John McIntyre - new Galway manager

A forum to air your views on Offaly GAA matters and beyond.
corner back
All Star

John McIntyre - new Galway manager

Post by corner back »

How'll he get on there?

Maybe this will draw Offaly's Future back out from hiding...

birr are magic
Junior B

Re: John McIntyre - new Galway manager

Post by birr are magic »

I CANT BELEAVE GALWAY GAVE JOHN mCINTyre the job. thats worse than loughane
jesus when he was with offaly he was bad. carlow beat us in the leauge .
do you rember the beating the cats gave us that year. i do he stood with his arms cross
looking out on the field. wont go down well in galway you see.

Kevin
All Star

Post by Kevin »

Maybe he can engineer few more massive beatings from Kilkenny (and hopefully us) :wink:
Kevin Clancey. Signed out of respect for players and all involved with Offaly.

bracknaghboy
All Star

Post by bracknaghboy »

Great news for Leinster hurling this. John is an intelligent man but simply cannot motivate a team. I always liked his matter of fact attitude but hated how pessimistic he could be at times. Hopefully this will put Galway hurling back a few years :lol: .

Bord na Mona man
All Star
Club: Clara

Post by Bord na Mona man »

I'm surprised at this.
McIntyre is a very decent fellow, but never got the best out of Offaly in his two terms there.

I think his biggest undoing is that he never got his teams playing with real passion.
He may need to adopt a more fire and brimstone approach with Galway.

To be fair to him, he was never afraid to make decisions.
Whether it was to whip off an underperforming player after 20 minutes, or to make a cull of the panel as he did after the 2006 championship, when it was clear there were some underperforming players.

Lets hope he doesn't make Galway too competitive though!

Efan
Senior

Post by Efan »

If you take a look at who he has on the ticket with him (JC) its was no great surprise he got the job. No longer a one man operation or a one man sales job to the county board. Its about assembling a "team" to cover as many angles as you can when it comes to the vote.

Lest we forget he managed us twice and on the first occasion we (county board) saddled him with a brutal selection committee who out voted him on team selection and ultimately cost him his job. (Not the first time thats happened in the GAA I know) to be replaced by the only other Tipp boy to have managed Galway (another great appointment).

The second time round I thought we were a few narrow defeats from making progress (Clare in Portlaoise & Tipp in Thurles) but in the end he probably ended up overstaying his tenure and we drifted.
Efan :)

azoffaly
All Star

Post by azoffaly »

bracknaghboy wrote:Great news for Leinster hurling this. John is an intelligent man but simply cannot motivate a team. I always liked his matter of fact attitude but hated how pessimistic he could be at times. Hopefully this will put Galway hurling back a few years :lol: .
It was McIntyre who gave the most downbeat prediction I've ever heard. Before one game on 103.5 FM, he was asked if Offaly had a chance of beating Kilkenny the next day. Keep in mind that this was about 3 minutes after urging the faithful fans to show up in big numbers to cheer on the boys and give them a boost.

His reply wasn't exactly Churchill-esque, and I'm paraphrasing.

'Look Ricey (or whoever it was), there's more chance of you bumping into a Polar Bear walking around the Sahara Desert with a bag of ice on his head trying to keep cool'.

I don't know about you, but I was enthused :D
Shane Gavin. Signed out of respect for players and all involved with Offaly.

INOFFALYIBELIEVE
Junior B

Post by INOFFALYIBELIEVE »

McIntyre was always one for soundbites and little else - he referred once that thinking about offaly going to play kilkenny would even 'put hairs on Kojak' ...

He is a media man's dream, always good for a soundbite or some riduculous quote. Ill give him one thing he has a neck of steel, his 3rd time going for the galway job, he doesnt give in easily! its a pity he didnt put that sort of committment into his time spent in Offaly...

I would also take issue with this comment from Efan

'Lest we forget he managed us twice and on the first occasion we (county board) saddled him with a brutal selection committee who out voted him on team selection and ultimately cost him his job'

There is very litte point in raking up what went on ten years ago but to suggest that the 'brutal' selction committee 'out voted' him on team selection is a false one, and such suggestions are doing a diservice to members of that committee. Mr McIntryre's abject reign should not be let hide behind comments like that.

At the end of the day the only person repsonsible for losing that job was himself.

Offalys Future
All Star

Post by Offalys Future »

Got rid of Galways most consistent forward for last 5 years - Alan Kerins
Got rid of arguably one best centre backs in the country - John Lee

And hammered 2-21 to 0-15 by Dublin yesterday.

Great to see John Mcintyre making progress in Galway!
A bluffer of the highest order. Wont last the year.
" In The Presence Of Confidence Doubt Cannot Exist "

Bord na Mona man
All Star

Offalys Future wrote:Got rid of Galways most consistent forward for last 5 years - Alan Kerins
Kerins - Consistently average you mean!
John Lee left to concentrate on his studies.

McIntyre will probably come up short in Galway, but at least try and keep it real.
You can make valid points without resorting to over the top statements.

Offalys Future
All Star

Post by Offalys Future »

Bord na Mona man wrote:
Offalys Future wrote:Got rid of Galways most consistent forward for last 5 years - Alan Kerins
Kerins - Consistently average you mean!
John Lee left to concentrate on his studies.

McIntyre will probably come up short in Galway, but at least try and keep it real.
You can make valid points without resorting to over the top statements.
whats your problem?
Alan Kerins has been Galways most consistent forward over the last 5 years and i have all the matches and scores to back it up if
you want them?
And any hurling man will tell you that John Lee is one of the best centre backs around.
In one of the first training sessions this year, Lee after failing an exam last year approached mcintyre and asked for a little leeway
to study for exam and mcintyre told him basically he's either hurling or studying! Lee left the panel. And continues to hurl outstandingly
for NUIG. They played Offaly a few weeks ago and i attended the game. Didnt look like he was concentrating on his studies on a
frezing cold Friday night in Ballingarry to me!

Mcintyre was a joje in Offaly, he hasnt a clue how to manage a team, he is a media man and nothing else
and eventually he will be found out. My thoughts are that it will be sonner rather than later.

Bord na Mona man
All Star

Kerins might be consistent, but he certainly isn't brilliant. Last year it looked to me that he was on the way out.
I suspect whoever was the next Galway manager was probably going to cut him.
He would make little difference to Galway this year.
It isn't exactly startling evidence of John McIntrye mismanaging Galway. Brian Cody chopped Charlie Carter who was a much better hurler than Kerins. Players getting dropped are a hazard of the game.

From the Irish Times on Lee leaving the panel:

“John contacted me last Friday and informed me of his desire to pull out of the panel, ” boss John McIntyre explained.
“We offered him time to reconsider and he availed of that but on Monday night he confirmed his departure due to his medical studies.
"It is a big blow to Galway hurling and I’m sorry that he is not staying on board but really John found himself falling between two stools.”

There are two sides to every story, but it hardly looks like the manager wanted him gone.

My problem is with over the top statements. Credit the posters here with some sort of ability to arrive at conclusions without needing to have it rammed at them with ridiculous use of verbage.
This is the sort of thing I'm talking about.
Mcintyre was a joje in Offaly, he hasnt a clue how to manage a team

Offalys Future
All Star

Post by Offalys Future »

Bord na Mona man wrote:
It isn't exactly startling evidence of John McIntrye mismanaging Galway. Brian Cody chopped Charlie Carter who was a much better hurler than Kerins. Players getting dropped are a hazard of the game.

Brian Cody had plenty of guys to take his place. John McIntyre hasnt such a luxury.
Bord na Mona man wrote:
From the Irish Times on Lee leaving the panel:

“John contacted me last Friday and informed me of his desire to pull out of the panel, ” boss John McIntyre explained.
“We offered him time to reconsider and he availed of that but on Monday night he confirmed his departure due to his medical studies.
"It is a big blow to Galway hurling and I’m sorry that he is not staying on board but really John found himself falling between two stools.”
There are two sides to every story, but it hardly looks like the manager wanted him gone.
Like i have mentioned before McIntyre knows how to play the media. This is a prime example of that.

Bord na Mona man wrote:
My problem is with over the top statements. Credit the posters here with some sort of ability to arrive at conclusions without needing to have it rammed at them with ridiculous use of verbage.
This is the sort of thing I'm talking about.
Mcintyre was a joke in Offaly, he hasnt a clue how to manage a team
[/quote]

This is a forum to express your own views. My view is that he is a joke, was a joke in Offaly and i think he will be found out very soon.

Bord na Mona man
All Star

Offalys Future wrote:This is a forum to express your own views. My view is that he is a joke, was a joke in Offaly and i think he will be found out very soon.
I don't think he will do much in Galway either.
We'll know more as the season unfolds.

Offalys Future
All Star

Post by Offalys Future »

Time will tell is right.

On another matter it looks like Anthony Daly is going well in Dublin.
Beaten Offaly, and now Galway are 2 pretty big scalps. Limerick away and Waterford at home
next, he will surely fancy his chances..

Always liked Daly, i'd say he good with the players, a real man-manager that knows his hurling
and takes no bull-shit either.

Nice Leinster Championship opener against Antrim too that he will look forward to.
He has plenty to work with and has no shortage of resources also.