Potential New Players - Football

A forum to air your views on Offaly GAA matters and beyond.
Tar Man
Junior A
Club: Shamrocks

Potential New Players - Football

Post by Tar Man »

As we are now at the business end of the Championship, I was wondering if anyone has seen any potential new players for the County Team as I am sure a lot of you will agree that there needs to be some sort of clear-out.

I would like top start the ball rolling with Aidan Keenaghan who played two of Ferbane's games against Tullamore and Rhode scoring a goal against Tullamore and two goals against Rhode from wing Forward. After last year's injury he has bulked up a lot this year and I didn't see him losing a collision in either game. His pace would also be a major asset to the county team. Also his desire could not be questioned as he battled against 3 Rhode Backs in Injury Time and still won the ball and a free from an impossible situation.

The only other player that really impressed me was Jason Kelly from the Bridge. I know that he had a poor game against Down but he wasn't the only one there.

I would be particularly interested in any new ball winning mid-fielders as it seems to me that Jimmy Grennan is still the best mid-fielder in the County, which at this late stage in his career says a lot about the standard in the county.

Lone Shark
All Star
Club: Ferbane

Re: Potential New Players - Football

Post by Lone Shark »

I'll probably go into this in more detail towards the end of the year, but I'd agree with Keenaghan, while I'd pick out a few lads who should be targetted now in order to get them up to the physical standard required for county:

Kieran Flannery, David Corbett, Alan Lynam, Joe Higgins would be the first names that would roll off the tongue. You could add those to guys like Gerry Grehan, Niall Darby, Ger Dunne and Nigel Dunne who would be similarly capable but would be a lot more widely known across the county.

I haven't seen much intermediate football this year so apologies if i appear to be ignoring the far end of the county, but in the games I've seen in senior there were very few "surprises".
Kevin Egan. Signed out of respect for players and all involved with Offaly.