Next Manager

A forum to air your views on Offaly GAA matters and beyond.
azoffaly
All Star

Re: Next Manager

Post by azoffaly »

Pat O'Shea is another who has stepped from Club management to All Ireland success, albeit with Kerry. He was the Crokes manager for the AIF defeat to Cross.
Shane Gavin. Signed out of respect for players and all involved with Offaly.

sIR bIFFSALOT
Junior B

Post by sIR bIFFSALOT »

I suppose Jack O' Connor would be out of the question, unless he wants to emulate his nemesis Mick O 'Dwyer by going around the country and improving the fortunes of the weaker counties. I believe he's teaching in South Kerry so it's probably unrealistic to expect him to travel to Offaly and back several times a week. Just thought I'd put it out there.

the Untouchable
All Star

Post by the Untouchable »

What about Mickey Moran....did a great job with Mayo, when he was there. A very astute manager....who is very big on discipline & would put some fire & drive back in the Offaly jersey.

Other than that, I think Larry Tompkins, John Maughan or Padraigh Nolan should be considered. Larry would be a great motivator on the line, certainly he'd get them fit & I think he'd be a driving force on the line!!! John Maughan has done a decent job everywhere he's been, I think he'd be a good manager for Offaly because he probably wouldn't like to think his last football job was over the Rossies & probably feels he has a point to prove that he's a better manager than he got credit for!!! Padraigh Nolan I think was tactically one of the best managers Offaly have ever had, didn't do a bad job with Kildare either & probably would jump at the chance to train this Offaly team again.
The Untouchable

gutless08
County player

Post by gutless08 »

[quote="the Untouchable"]What about Mickey Moran....did a great job with Mayo, when he was there. A very astute manager....who is very big on discipline & would put some fire & drive back in the Offaly jersey.

i threw his name in there in a previous post, i agree fully.
moran, o connor , to a lesser extent maughan forde.

paul o kelly is third tier and the players would not give it for him.end of story

Bord na Mona man
All Star
Club: Clara

Post by Bord na Mona man »

the Untouchable wrote: John Maughan has done a decent job everywhere he's been
Not in Roscommon or Fermanagh.
Maughan is another washed up county manager that we need to avoid.
His best days are well behind him.
1992 with Clare and the mid 90s with Mayo was his peak.

Tactically he is not the best. He threw away an All Ireland in 1997 by leaving an aging and slow Pat Holmes on Maurice Fitz for the whole game. His other corner back was Kenneth Mortimor who won an All Star.

Lone Shark
All Star
Club: Ferbane

Post by Lone Shark »

gutless08 wrote: paul o kelly is third tier and the players would not give it for him.end of story
Any chance of explaining this? One could suggest that if the players don't feel like giving it for him, they should step aside and let other players do it instead, fellas who aren't so finicky about playing for their county.
Kevin Egan. Signed out of respect for players and all involved with Offaly.

gutless08
County player

Post by gutless08 »

Lone Shark wrote:
gutless08 wrote: paul o kelly is third tier and the players would not give it for him.end of story
Any chance of explaining this? One could suggest that if the players don't feel like giving it for him, they should step aside and let other players do it instead, fellas who aren't so finicky about playing for their county.
As stated before no other county team wants O KELLY as manager and i dont think he is the man for the job.

Il explain. While your correct LONE SHARK in saying if they dont give it they should step aside.You and i both live in the real world and with o kelly the phonecalls of overtime and injurys and other excuses would rain in.This bunch of players need a NEW VOICE, a stern voice.
How bout a manager the players respect and fear possibly like a mikey moran.
OFFAly football was a joke in the mid to late 80s and early 90s. That all changed when Tommy LYONS took over.DOes anyone remember the storys that came when he took over? THE serious fitness levels of the players, guys walking of the panel cause the training was tough. guys losing 3 stone,neutron diets,players been looked after in there professional life,
injured lads sent home etc.Offaly football was changed by 1 man. The impact of a good manager cannot be understated.
DOes anyone remember the buzz im talking about?
Ever since we have had average managers. I mean our players were not even fit this year, its alrite saying they should step aside but there not going to ,they like been county players but dont like the work that goes with it.
Id love to lock these Offaly boys in a room with donal og cusack for a week.

Lone Shark
All Star

Post by Lone Shark »

gutless08 wrote: As stated before no other county team wants O KELLY as manager and i dont think he is the man for the job.
I've never sat in a dressing room with the man so I'm not going to say whether he does or doesn't command respect. I've met him once, in a social setting and he came across very well, however that's nothing like managing a team so I'll refrain from saying anything one way or another on this.

I will say this though - I'm pretty sure he had job offers since then. I'd be fairly confident in saying that your assertion that no other team wants him is way off the mark.

Comparisons with the Tommy Lyons era are not appropriate in that senior club teams nowadays are in better shape nowadays than Offaly football was back then. I remember Peter Brady describing how occasionally in the years before Lyons, training consisted of " a few laps and maybe a game of soccer". Now I've no idea if that was right or not, but it's not hard make dramatic improvements on that.

As for Mickey Moran, in my current employment I'd be delighted if Moran got the job because he's meant to be a dream to work with - however the question has to be asked if (a) he'd take the job, and (b) if it's worth mortgaging our future for a man like that. Not all these big name guys work out, and I've yet to see a good answer in terms of how we'd pay for it.

azoffaly
All Star

Post by azoffaly »

I will say this though - I'm pretty sure he had job offers since then. I'd be fairly confident in saying that your assertion that no other team wants him is way off the mark.
Whatever about saying the players 'wouldn't listen to him' (which I think is wrong by the way, most of the players involved back in 2003 would have good things to say about Paul O'Kelly), you are spot on with that remark LS. I know of at least 2 jobs he was offered.
Shane Gavin. Signed out of respect for players and all involved with Offaly.

gutless08
County player

Post by gutless08 »

Lone Shark wrote:
gutless08 wrote: As stated before no other county team wants O KELLY as manager and i dont think he is the man for the job.
I've never sat in a dressing room with the man so I'm not going to say whether he does or doesn't command respect. I've met him once, in a social setting and he came across very well, however that's nothing like managing a team so I'll refrain from saying anything one way or another on this.

Comparisons with the Tommy Lyons era are not appropriate in that senior club teams nowadays are in better shape nowadays than Offaly football was back then. I remember Peter Brady describing how occasionally in the years before Lyons, training consisted of " a few laps and maybe a game of soccer". Now I've no idea if that was right or not, but it's not hard make dramatic improvements on that.

As for Mickey Moran, in my current employment I'd be delighted if Moran got the job because he's meant to be a dream to work with - however the question has to be asked if (a) he'd take the job, and (b) if it's worth mortgaging our future for a man like that. Not all these big name guys work out, and I've yet to see a good answer in terms of how we'd pay for it.
He may be a consultant for teams,but he isnt county standard.i know guys from when he was selector who say he isnt management material but did rate him highly,from a tactical point of view.
If my assertion is way off the mark ?Can you confirm what County team asked him to be there MANAGER . I await ur response ,enuff hearsay.
MAYBE comparisons with lyons are appropriate, senior club teams are in better shape nowadays? kevin gavin was training ferbane every bit as hard 20 years ago as pat roe trained offaly . certain county players coulnt even do laps in sessions this year.

AS for mickey moran , lets ask the question,does he want the job? well we paid roe enough ,how did we afford that? sure moran might be more expensive, how bout we find out ? before we shut the door on that one.
not all big name guys do work out,but ambitious guys with there name on the line,want it more. fair play to the outsider jason ryan. but for every ryan story,theres a micko one.mcgeeney was slated after wicklow by lone shark as an expensive flop, drive through kildare in the last few weeks and the white jersey is prominent in the fields and on the cars.
kids out playing ball in august,rain permitting :D is what its all about.
off to work now,just praying the county board are more ambitious.

gutless08
County player

Post by gutless08 »

azoffaly wrote:
Whatever about saying the players 'wouldn't listen to him' (which I think is wrong by the way, most of the players involved back in 2003 would have good things to say about Paul O'Kelly), you are spot on with that remark LS. I know of at least 2 jobs he was offered.
oh god he is a highly sought after club manager ,possibly county consultant.
my question is what county manager jobs has he been offered?

TheManFromFerbane
All Star

Post by TheManFromFerbane »

gutless08 wrote: Id love to lock these Offaly boys in a room with donal og cusack for a week.
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Man I'm immature :oops:
The night is darkest before the dawn

gutless08
County player

Post by gutless08 »

TheManFromFerbane wrote:
gutless08 wrote: Id love to lock these Offaly boys in a room with donal og cusack for a week.

:D :D :D :D :D :D

Lone Shark
All Star

Post by Lone Shark »

gutless08 wrote:
AS for mickey moran , lets ask the question,does he want the job? well we paid roe enough ,how did we afford that? sure moran might be more expensive, how bout we find out ? before we shut the door on that one.
not all big name guys do work out,but ambitious guys with there name on the line,want it more. fair play to the outsider jason ryan. but for every ryan story,theres a micko one.mcgeeney was slated after wicklow by lone shark as an expensive flop, drive through kildare in the last few weeks and the white jersey is prominent in the fields and on the cars.
kids out playing ball in august,rain permitting :D is what its all about.
off to work now,just praying the county board are more ambitious.
We paid Roe too much, and he'd cost about a half (at most) of what Moran would cost. I'll say this again - where do we have this bountiful harvest of money trees?

Kildare were very lucky to get where they did. They got a late goal against a shite Cavan team, Limerick missed two sitters for goals that would have put them out in that match, then they played a Fermanagh team that had nothing left in the tank. If we got that kind of luck any year bar this year we would have got to a quarter final too.

By the way I never said McGeeney was a flop. I used it as an example of not getting value for money, and that in a county with no shortage of it.

As a complete aside, I'm beginning to understand why this country has got itself into the situation it's in. Everyone wants to spend a fortune on something we patently cannot afford. Nobody wants to even think about how we'd pay for it, or even consider the possible consequences of it backfiring. Others have done it, so we want to too. As for who'll pay for it? More sponsors - i.e. someone else.

Leaving aside whether this would be money well spent or not, we don't have it. In any rational society, that would be end of discussion.

TheManFromFerbane
All Star

Post by TheManFromFerbane »

gutless08 wrote:
TheManFromFerbane wrote:

:D :D :D :D :D :D
Credit has to go to mykneehurts for this one. He spotted this little slip of the keyboard!!
The night is darkest before the dawn