Paul McConway

A forum to air your views on Offaly GAA matters and beyond.
Tar Man
Junior A
Club: Shamrocks

Paul McConway

Post by Tar Man »

Anybody got any idea what McConway did to get sent off? Heard he shouldered the ref at the final whistle.

Kemo Sabe
All Star

Re: Paul McConway

Post by Kemo Sabe »

he was sent off after the game for telling the ref what he thought of some of his decisons and who could blame him the ref was simply a disgrace . it was some of the worst refereing i have seen in a longtime and that says a lot .
great history hoping for a better future

Lone Shark
All Star
Club: Ferbane

Post by Lone Shark »

Kemo Sabe wrote:he was sent off after the game for telling the ref what he thought of some of his decisons and who could blame him the ref was simply a disgrace . it was some of the worst refereing i have seen in a longtime and that says a lot .
I'd agree that there should have been more injury time - after that I'd be inclined towards strongly disagreeing. Catch called everything by the book, he just didn't penalise all forms of contact like some referees do. The trip at the end could have been argued to have been cynical, but there is no rule in the GAA which allows for a red card for professional foul even if he did interpret it as such. The rules are the rules. Tullamore would have taken a point from the 20m free anyway, by allowing advantage they got a goal chance and still got a point from the 45.
Kevin Egan. Signed out of respect for players and all involved with Offaly.

Oceans 15
County player

Post by Oceans 15 »

Tullamore can't complain with Catch. He made sure they won the County Final in 2000.

Kemo Sabe
All Star

Post by Kemo Sabe »

Oceans 15 wrote:Tullamore can't complain with Catch. He made sure they won the County Final in 2000.
that game was 8 years ago and dont see what it has to do with sundays match but would you like to give a couple of examples of how he made sure tullamore won it in 2000.

Lone Shark
All Star

Post by Lone Shark »

Kemo Sabe wrote:
Oceans 15 wrote:Tullamore can't complain with Catch. He made sure they won the County Final in 2000.
that game was 8 years ago and dont see what it has to do with sundays match but would you like to give a couple of examples of how he made sure tullamore won it in 2000.
I'm not going to talk about 2000 since I wasn't at that match, but you'd hardly like to lead the way and explain why last Sunday was the "worst you've seen in a longtime". I'll grant you that another minute or two of injury time could have been played, but you must have more than that. Just to pass the time while Oceans 15 makes his points, y'see.

Oceans 15
County player

Post by Oceans 15 »

Kemo Sabe wrote:
By riding Shamrocks in the Final

redser
County player

Post by redser »

Catch had some stinker in 2000 if memory serves me correct alright. I dont think shamrocks will have to worry about being rode this year anyway.

I heard McConway called Catch every name under the sun and acted like a spoilt child crying when he didnt get his way after the game. This is coming from neutral supporters who were at the game. A few Clara lads said McConway had come across as right arrogant so and so all game and was constantly trying to wind up the Ferbane players.

Lone Shark
All Star

Post by Lone Shark »

redser wrote: A few Clara lads said McConway had come across as right arrogant so and so all game and was constantly trying to wind up the Ferbane players.
Himself and Colin Egan were getting fairly tangled when Colin came on all right. I've no idea if one player was worse than the other in that, only the two lads know that, but Colin didn't let it affect his game and he did quite well - McConway just didn't seem to be tuned in at all.

bazza
All Star

Post by bazza »

I was at the match and couldnt fault Catch. The only incidnet that puzzled me was the trip at the end.. couldnt understand how it wasn't a penalty or free at least. But Catch wasnt the reason tullamore lost.. more like their cocky attitude and out of it at midfield. ferbane number 12 and jimmy grennan cleaned up in 2nd half.

Lone Shark
All Star

Post by Lone Shark »

bazza wrote:I was at the match and couldnt fault Catch. The only incidnet that puzzled me was the trip at the end.. couldnt understand how it wasn't a penalty or free at least. But Catch wasnt the reason tullamore lost.. more like their cocky attitude and out of it at midfield. ferbane number 12 and jimmy grennan cleaned up in 2nd half.
It was outside the area, though it could easily have been a free. However Catch played advantage so Tullamore could have the goal chance. They didn't get a good shot in and Nugent tipped it round the post. However Dooley nailed the 45 so it all balanced out.

I believe Martin came off pretty badly though - any word on how he's doing?

Kemo Sabe
All Star

Post by Kemo Sabe »

Lone Shark wrote:
Kemo Sabe wrote:
I'm not going to talk about 2000 since I wasn't at that match, but you'd hardly like to lead the way and explain why last Sunday was the "worst you've seen in a longtime". I'll grant you that another minute or two of injury time could have been played, but you must have more than that. Just to pass the time while Oceans 15 makes his points, y'see.

Kemo Sabe
All Star

Post by Kemo Sabe »

just to reply to the above for one thing i dont know where loan shark is going with these comments .for ferbanes first goal the ball was played like volleyball in the buildup to the goal and was clear for everyone to see .

Dynamite
Junior A

Post by Dynamite »

God, The Tullamore lads get very upset when they lose a match! Of course it's the Clara man's fault Ye were bet! :)

The Magpie
All Star

Post by The Magpie »

Strangely enough, there's no mention of the Tullamore - Ballycumber game from last year.

We're talking about referee's influencing games aren't we?
The Dog chases the Car....the Car stops....the Dog can't Drive!