Stats

A forum to air your views on Offaly GAA matters and beyond.
Lone Shark
All Star
Club: Ferbane

Stats

Post by Lone Shark »

A quick question - I've started doing a bit of this at a few football matches this year (those who cannot kick straight must serve the club in any way they can) and while I'd have a reasonably good eye for detail, I'd be interested to chat with someone who has a bit more experience in the art of breaking down games and presenting a reasonably good document afterwards. If anyone does anything along these lines I'd be interested in pooling info and learning off each other. A lot of it is fairly basic and I'd like to be able to give something a little more, albeit without having DVD's and the like at my disposal?

I'm guessing somebody on here must have done a bit of this or at least been exposed to it for college teams and the like.
Kevin Egan. Signed out of respect for players and all involved with Offaly.

Muck Savage
All Star

Re: Stats

Post by Muck Savage »

LS - Theres a crowd that have a software program that can help in this. I'd be interested also but the one below seems very detailed and I think you'd spend half the time looking down at the PDA flicking through the pages trying to figure out where to put the wide rather than looking at the game. I'm sure there is a much more simple way of doing it once you knew what you were most interested in monitoring. Like Kick outs won, location of wides etc.

I'm interested in doing this as well and have made an attempt to track some points during a game but what usually happens is I get wrapped up in the game after about 15 mins and forget to mark down some of the points I wanted to mark down. Let me know if you come up with a simple spreadsheet.

http://www.gaastats.com/news.htm
http://www.gaastats.com/Stats/201007_CO ... OTBALL.pdf

azoffaly
All Star

Post by azoffaly »

I'd be kind of like MS here. There are some stats which I feel are genuinely useful such as Kickouts won, cleanly v breaks, footpasses successful v unsuccesful, wides and where the wides were kicked from, turnovers for and against resulting in scores, frees conceded etc etc, but even as I look at a game on telly, I always forget after a while as I get interested in the game. If I were being paid for it, I'm sure I'd focus more :D

I suppose the key thing is that the stats must be relevant, and something that will feed into performance improvement. (Rather than being used as a stick to berate people with).

For example, if Offaly kicked 10 wides in the first half against Westmeath, where did those wides come from? Is it bad shooting, or bad decision making? Were lads shooting because inside forwards weren't making runs, or were they being ignored?

On kickouts, are we being cleaned out at midfield, or is it breaks we are not winning? Should we alter our kickouts, or drop a lad back for the opposition kick outs?

Is our passing accurate, or are we hitting and hoping? Why? Again, is the movement there? Are players making themselves available? Should we handpass more? Or less?

Turnovers. how many of our turnovers (bad passes, caught in possession etc) are resulting in scores? Can we work on cutting out the mistakes with the ball? Should we change the way we play to eliminate, or minimise them? Are we overdoing handpassing and losing possession?

Frees, how many of the opposition scores are from frees? Are they 'good' fouls, or lazy tackling?

Stats for stats' sake are no good, there has to be a purpose for collating them. Figure out the purpose, and that'll almost always tell you the stats you need to gather.
Shane Gavin. Signed out of respect for players and all involved with Offaly.

aisaine
Junior C

Post by aisaine »

Well lads...a friend of mine told me that there was an enquiry about stats on this site....I didnt even know this site existed!! How bad of an offaly supporter am I???

I am statistician and video analyist.....if ya want a dig out with some stats..let me know Id have no problem showing ya how I do it. It can be personal preference but it should always depend on what the management team are looking at. It can also be helpful to go look at the opposition and have stats on them before a big game. Lads love to have figures!!!!

I can also show ya the software no prob if ya wanted to see how it works!!!

Muck Savage
All Star

Post by Muck Savage »

Aisaine - Did you write the software yourself and are you selling it? I'd be interested in having a look to see the best way to do it but I wouldn't be recording any games as it would mostly be taken live at a game.

Lone Shark
All Star

Post by Lone Shark »

aisaine wrote: I can also show ya the software no prob if ya wanted to see how it works!!!
I'd be absolutely delighted to - I just sent you a private message there, so hopefully we can arrange something! :D

aisaine
Junior C

Post by aisaine »

No dont sell it...I use dartfish software which I have found to be the best.

Are you doing the stats for a match report or to be used for team management but coz that is totally different.

Lone Shark
All Star

Post by Lone Shark »

aisaine wrote:No dont sell it...I use dartfish software which I have found to be the best.

Are you doing the stats for a match report or to be used for team management but coz that is totally different.
For management. My reporting style in somewhat seat of the pants to say the least. I have been known to travel without pen or notepad. If It's worth writing about, I'll remember it. :D

ballymanabroad
All Star

Post by ballymanabroad »

Check out this book. It illustrates the power of statistics

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Moneyball
It isn't the mountains ahead to climb that wear you out; it's the pebble in your shoe - Muhammad Ali