Leinster MFC: Offaly ease into final

A forum to air your views on Offaly GAA matters and beyond.
athlumneyboy
County player

Post by athlumneyboy »

Homepage| Counties | Search | Message Board | Results

10 July 2008

Offaly football received a major shot in the arm at Wexford Park last night when their minor side qualified for the Leinster final with a comfortable victory over a Wexford team that could only manage two points over the 60-plus minutes.

Offaly....0-9
Wexford...0-2

Favoured by the wind in the first half, the visitors laid the foundations for their win in the opening quarter when they hit five points without reply. Patrick Rigney opened their account from a free after just 30 seconds, while further scores from Anton Sullivan, Brian O’Connor (two) and Graham Guilfoyle put them in the driving seat.

Their lead could have been greater had Keith Lawlor not missed a guilt-edged goal chance in the seventh minute.

At the opposite end, the Wexford attack were making little impact with their only score of the half arriving in the 17th minute through Shane Bradley. This left the visitors leading 0-5 to 0-1 at the interval, having failed to score in the second quarter.

The third quarter was devoid of any real excitement and Wexford had to wait an agonising 35 minutes for their second scored, a Michael O’Regan pointed free 22 minutes into the second half. However, Offaly were not to be denied and they sealed their place in Sunday week’s final against Meath with late points from Michael O’Regan and Patrick Rigney (two).

Offaly - S Nally; L Dunning, J Moloney, D Ryan; D Kelly, B Geraghty, A Murphy; B Connor 0-3, N Graham; K Lawlor 0-1, P Rigney 0-3, G Guilfoyle 0-1; B Allen, A Sullivan, R Allen. Subs - M Mangan for Kelly; K Knight for Allen.

Wexford - S O’Gorman; J Breen, S Gaul, M Crowdle; C Carty, J Lacey, D Whelan; C Kehoe, P Stafford; D Murphy, M O’Regan 0-1, B Berney; K O’Grady, G O’Toole, S Bradley 0-1. Subs - B O’Gorman for Berney; B Nolan for Kehoe; E Kent for Bradley; J Doyle for Murphy; M Atkinson for Whelan.

Doon Massive
All Star

Re: Leinster MFC: Offaly ease into final

Post by Doon Massive »

Anyone heading to this game?

Lone Shark
All Star
Club: Ferbane

Post by Lone Shark »

Yup. I've heard very little about tickets though. I think you have to get them through the clubs if I'm not mistaken.
Kevin Egan. Signed out of respect for players and all involved with Offaly.

Muck Savage
All Star

Post by Muck Savage »

Correct, I think they were available last night from the county board and all that.

naasmanxrhode
All Star

Post by naasmanxrhode »

Yes, i'll be there, i ahve the loan of a premium ticket, Hogan stand side on the 40 yard line, great view, i get it for all the Offaly matches. I'LL BE SHOUT FOR THE YELLOW BELLIS ASWELL.
Be careful out their

Bord na Mona man
All Star
Club: Clara

Post by Bord na Mona man »

naasmanxrhode wrote:on the 40 yard line
Never heard of such a thing :P

TheManFromFerbane
All Star

Post by TheManFromFerbane »

I'll be there on the hill of all places wearing my Offaly jersey with pride!!

It's been nice knowing all of you :D
The night is darkest before the dawn

azoffaly
All Star

Post by azoffaly »

TheManFromFerbane wrote:I'll be there on the hill of all places wearing my Offaly jersey with pride!!

You'll be grand. You have a bodyguard.
Shane Gavin. Signed out of respect for players and all involved with Offaly.

Bord na Mona man
All Star
Club: Clara

Post by Bord na Mona man »

TheManFromFerbane wrote:I'll be there on the hill of all places wearing my Offaly jersey with pride!!

You might be best avoiding standing directly behind the goals as the roughest Dublin crowd tend to congregate there. If any of them approach you menacingly, tell them you're wearing Celtic's new away jersey and you'll probably be grand.

Since Offaly are playing "Meeyad", the Dubs that could tell difference and aren't in the pub, would probably be rooting for Offaly. I have been asked on the odd occasion if my Offaly jersey was a "Meeyad" jersey though, so you might still have some explaining to do. :mrgreen:

Lone Shark
All Star

Post by Lone Shark »

Bord na Mona man wrote:

You might be best avoiding standing directly behind the goals as the roughest Dublin crowd tend to congregate there.
Only MFF himself can tell us whether or not his company for the game could be so described.... :P
Kevin Egan. Signed out of respect for players and all involved with Offaly.

TheManFromFerbane
All Star

Post by TheManFromFerbane »

Like AZ said I reckon my body guard should look after me but if she doesn't I'll burst into a chorus of molly malone. It's like a dog whistle for them :P
The night is darkest before the dawn