Football championship

A forum to air your views on Offaly GAA matters and beyond.
Lone Shark
All Star
Club: Ferbane

Re: Football championship

Post by Lone Shark »

Very interesting - where did you get the odds from?
Kevin Egan. Signed out of respect for players and all involved with Offaly.

Hocker
All Star

Post by Hocker »

I'm sorry but I reckon the person who did out these odds is either taking the piss or hasn't got a jaysus clue whats going on within clubs in the county....
Fair enogh rhode are championship favourites and rightly so, they're flying.
But any man that has Shannonbridge at 30/1 to win the championship and 10/1 to be relegated are way off the mark....
I'd hostly have us at 80/1 to win the championship and 4/7 favourites to be relegated. Our manager has left us & missing our best player.

Square Cab
Intermediate

Post by Square Cab »

The special 1 aint so special! Those odds are off the wall! As Hocker said, Shannonbridge are in a state of disaray at the moment yet he has them at 30/1. They were hammered by Rhode in the league two weeks ago while Ferbane beat Rhode last weekend. Yet the special one has Shannonbridge at shorter odds than Ferbane to win mr dowling. A re-think is needed..........me thinks!!

the weasel
Intermediate

Post by the weasel »

You must be a Shannonbridge or Clonmacnoise man quoting Shannonbridge at 30-1 or else your just crazy

redser
County player

Post by redser »

Without question Rhode will be the out and out favourites. They were beaten by an outstanding display last year but that wont happen every day. They have been the top dogs in Offaly for the last while and to be honest i agree with some of the comments that they will win it.

The other main contenders for title are Clara and Gracefield. Tullamore could struggle without Cathal Daly as he was in my opinion the main reason they won the final and his absence against Eire og was the sole reason they were beaten in Leinster.

MF35
Intermediate

Post by MF35 »

The bridge in total turmoil with championship just arond the corner - i dont think so!!
A word of warning methinks to any of the Ferbane readers...

Lone Shark
All Star

Post by Lone Shark »

Gracefield aren't far off but they do have a bit to go. Niall Smith will have a big role to play I reckon - any club with a half decent midfielder in Offaly is starting off with a real advantage.

I personally think that Rhode are vulnerable and will get beaten by someone. For all their underage dominance in recent years it looks like only Niall Darby that will really add something new to the team, while there are question marks over the current form of the team in a big way at 3, 6, 8 and 9. No club in Offaly is very strong in all those positions, but most have one or two of them sorted at least.

If you ask me it's Shamrock's title if they can get their heads right. They certainly have the talent, it all depends on how they bounce back from last year.

All despatches from Shannonbridge are being taken with a pinch of salt anyway.

Shannonbridge are not prepared for this Championship!
Ferbane can relax and prepare for bigger battles ahead!
We actually quite like Ferbane!

Hyper
All Star

Post by Hyper »

Lone Shark, are Ladbokes putting up any odds for the championship?

the special 1
Junior C

Post by the special 1 »

shannonbridge arnt goin that bad i saw them play tullamore the other night in the league and they played some excellent football. there a better team than ferbane and will beat them. im not a bridge man myself and im not crazy either. as for the odds i think there pretty fair. i still think rhode are a good bit ahead this year shamrocks are definately main contenders. clara hav a lot to prove a couple of there main players have not been playin 2 well with offaly. tullamore have alot of players and cant be ruled out but cathal daly really is a huge loss. gracefield just dont hav enough to challenge the top 2. ballycumber could surprise us but always seem to fall short in the end. in terms of relegation theres 6 contenders tubber just dont have enough class and will be in big trouble. rynaghs are tough and if the attitude is rite they will definately survive but if not its definately either them or tubber. pollagh are just slightly beter than rynaghs and tubber and should be ok. while shannonbridge hav been down there the last 2 years they did hammer rynaghs doon and edenderry 2 survive and wont be in the relegation play off this year.edenderry seem solid enough this year and wont be in any trouble while ferbane should be too good for tubber or rynaghs id imagine.

Lone Shark
All Star

Post by Lone Shark »

Hyper wrote:Lone Shark, are Ladbokes putting up any odds for the championship?

I ain't Ladbrokes any more, (more or less, there is a slow break up ongoing) so I'd doubt it to be honest.

Having said that I've got in touch with Hacketts and they've agreed to supply odds for the paper, so hopefully they'll have something next week. I'll keep ye posted.

Special 1, if you feel like offering me an even match bet on Ferbane vs Shannonbridge with draw no bet, I'd be happy to oblige. I'd hazard a guess that a few on here probably would too.

Lone Shark
All Star

Post by Lone Shark »

Kicks off tomorrow evening, got odds from Hacketts which will be in the paper tomorrow....

2/9 Shamrocks 4/1 Tubber 10/1 Draw
1/4 Clara 10/3 Rovers 10/1 Draw
1/3 Rhode 5/2 Tullamore 9/1 Draw
4/5 Gracefield 5/4 Edenderry 7/1 Draw
4/6 Ballycumber 11/8 Rynaghs 7/1 Draw
4/9 Ferbane 2/1 Shannonbridge 9/1 Draw

Outright IIRC is ....

6/4 Rhode
3/1 Shamrocks
6/1 Tullamore
7/1 Clara
12/1 Ferbane
14/1 Gracefield
18/1 Ballycumber
20/1 Edenderry
33/1 Shannonbridge
40/1 Erin Rovers
40/1 Tubber
40/1 St. Rynaghs

Ballycumber maybe a touch of value at 4/6, while I'd say Rhode and Shamrocks are penalty kicks at 1/3 and 2/9 - whatever chance Tullamore might have had originally, without O'Grady, Daly, Hogan and Keane I can't see them troubling Rhode at all. Dooley has feck all time for football training either so I'm guessing he might have difficulty slipping back intop a football groove. 7/4 the treble might be my bet for the weekend.

king of kings
Junior B
Club: shannonbridge

Post by king of kings »

rhode, ballycumber, and shamrocks all great value and with shannonbridge at 2/1 to double ur money put on 20 euro accum i reckon i make a handy 100 euro there.
ferbane 12/1 to win championship thats crazy odds more like 40/1 i think.

Hyper
All Star

Post by Hyper »

Two draws last night.

Shamrocks 1.8 Tubber 11
Clara 9 Erin Rovers 9