Football championship

A forum to air your views on Offaly GAA matters and beyond.
redser
County player

Football championship

Post by redser »

Having heard the draw last night there looks like there will be some good games.

Clara again have gotten themselves a handy group and Tullamore and Shamrocks having contested the final last year both have trickier groups.

Looks like theres a good chance Gracefield might contest a county final this year. I expect our lads to come out of that group but who will join them could be interesting. Edenderry could be a dangerous side this year with alot of excellent young players. Wouldnt be suprised to see them making a semi.

Rhode and Tullamore are the main contenders but i think Rhode are still a far better team and with new management this year i can see them winning the championship.

Muck Savage
All Star

Re: Football championship

Post by Muck Savage »

Any chance of someone putting up the groups across the board for hurling and football at Senior, Inter, Jnr level.

Thanks

Hocker
All Star

Post by Hocker »

Group A
Shannonbridge
Tullamore
Rhode
Ferbane

Group B
St. Rynaghs
Clara
Ballycumber
Pullough

Group C
Shamrocks
Edenderry
Gracefield
Tubber

Treasurer
All Star

Post by Treasurer »

Intermediate

Group 1
St. Brigids
Raheen
Bracknagh
Clara

Group 2
Doon
Kilcormac/Killoughey
Birr
Clonbullogue

Group 3
Ballyfore
Walsh Island
Kilclonfert
Tullamore

Junior A

Group 1
Daingean
Edenderry
Cappincur
Ballycumber

Group 2
Durrow
Rhode
Ballinagar
St. Rynaghs

Group 3
Gracefield
Ferbane
Shamrocks
Killeigh

Junior B

Group 1
Rhode
Shannonbridge
Tullamore
Ballycommon
Clonmore Harps

Group 2
Erin Rovers
Clara
Doon
Raheen

Group 3
Durrow
Daingean
St. Brigids
Coolderry

Junior C

Group 1
Ballyskenagh
Crinkle
St. Rynaghs
Bracknagh
Lusmagh

Group 2
Killavilla
Walsh Island
Drumcullen
Kilclonfert

Group 3
Ballycumber
Tubber
Clonbullogue
Kinnitty

U-21

A Kilcormac/Killoughey v Shamrocks
B St. Michael's v St. Cronan's
C St. Patrick's v Shannon Gaels
D Wheery v St. Manchans
E Gracefield v Tullamore

E v A
D v B
Clara v St. Broughans
St. Colm's v C

Lone Shark
All Star
Club: Ferbane

Post by Lone Shark »

Definitely somebody in Clara is making a hefty donation to St. Anthony or some such before all these draws. The local element of the games against Rovers and Ballycumber will ensure that they won't be cakewalks, but they still should have enough to get three wins out of three and still have some hard games behind them. Ballycumber should accompany them, assuming last year's narrow loss to Tullamore is their real form rather than the poor displays against Shamrocks and St. Brigid's, but even so I could see Erin Rovers, masters of "doing just enough", edging their way into second if Ballycumber ain't careful. The lack of any serious up and coming talent in Ballycumber has been a problem for a few years now, and yet again it's hard to see where they're going to get any extra impetus from. Rynagh's will need to avoid last in the group if they are to avoid relegation, because if they can't edge out Rovers or Ballycumber I can't see them beating the drop.

Group 2 has the potential to be very interesting, particularly if Edenderry are as good as a lot of us suspect they might be. Last year will have energised the club no end, and on the face of it their game with Gracefield looks like being a straight fight for second spot. Shamrocks still look a bit too strong and Tubber look a bit too weak to really finish anywhere but first and fourth - though I expect Tubber to avoid the drop as the games they'll have played will be great preparation.

And to group one - and from my own perspective, not a great draw for Ferbane at all. Hopefully the draw against Clara last year (which could have gone either way) will mean that the lads will go into the games against Tullamore and Rhode with no fear, seeing it as an opportunity rather than a hurdle, but one way or another it still is two of the the three best teams in the county in the one group. One would have to assume that Rhode will bounce back from last year a little at least, while Tullamore are still a young team with plenty in them, even if they did get a lot of breaks last year. Shannonbridge was a dodgy team to be thrown in with us as well. The Bridge can be quite formidable if they're in the mood, but at the risk of bringing down another jihad on my head, they can be horrendous as well. (Compare the Rhode and Gracefield matches last year). The problem for Ferbane is that it'll be that game that the Bridge will target, while there is nothing surer but that they will lie down and die in at least one of the other two matches (if any Bridge folk are reading this, why not prove me wrong instead of getting all indignant!!). Still, if Ferbane approach the year right they can still take the Bridge, pull off an upset in one of the two other games and build a good year from there. Hopefully.
Kevin Egan. Signed out of respect for players and all involved with Offaly.

Bord na Mona man
All Star
Club: Clara

Post by Bord na Mona man »

A good draw for the Magpies, though it is almost tradition now that they draw at least one match against less fancied opponents.

Unless some of the rest up their game, you'd be expecting Tellamore, Clara, Shamrocks and Rhode to made the semis.

The Magpie
All Star

Post by The Magpie »

Yep. No complaints here. Rynaghs again - is that 3 times in 3 years?

As for the other groups, Edenderry will be quietly happy with that draw, if they can generate as much interest as they did last year. You'd have to be tipping Shamrocks to top the group with Edenderry and Gracefield in a shoot-out for second spot. I can't see Tubber upsetting anyone, but I'd like to see the fixtures list first.

I don't think Group A is quite the nightmare that LS thinks it is. Expect Rhode to dominate again, but second place is very much up for grabs.

We should rank the Senior teams again like we did last year. Here's my contribution:

1. Rhode - Still at the top of the tree. At full strength they should be very hard to beat
2. Shamrocks - I'm not sure why they're at 2, but (and this is not a dig), they've been the 2nd best team in the County for some time.
3. Clara - Poor last year. Forwards to make a bigger impression this year.
4. Tullamore - Great year in 07, but the couple of forwards they unearthed will be closely watched this year - and not unknown either. Also, that heavy dependency on Cathal Daly could start to hurt.
5. Gracefield - On their day can be mighty impressive. Beware.
6. Ballycumber - Mainly the same faces, but will consider themselves very unfortunate in 07.
7. Edenderry - If interest is high, Edenderry will compete with any of the clubs outside of the top 4.
8. Ferbane - Will have to prove the Clara result in 07 was more a reflection of their ability than the Tubber result.
9. Erin Rovers - Never easy to beat, but beatable all the same. Usually have one big shock in their locker.
10. Tubber - A great year in 07. Over-achieved and retaining Senior status should be considered a good year.
11. Shannonbridge - Based on past performance, it's hard to place the Bridge any higher than this.
12. St. Rynaghs - Hanging on in there. Funnily enough, at times, they're a tough outfit.
The Dog chases the Car....the Car stops....the Dog can't Drive!

the weasel
Intermediate

Post by the weasel »

i think that this could finally be shamrocks year. there younger players should improve from last year with anoother year under their belts (e.g nigel dunne, thomas coughlan, derek molloy, karl mollen). rhode are only average without niall mac, if you put the shackles on him your half way to beating them(i know its easier said than done)

Ranking

1. shamrocks
2. rhode
3. clara
4. tullamore
5. gracefield
6. ferbane
7. edenderry
8. tubber
9. ballycumber
10.shannonbridge
11.erin rovers
12. rynaghs

redser
County player

Post by redser »

Prediction for who will make knockout stages:

RHODE
TULLAMORE
GRACEFIELD
EDENDERRY
CLARA
BALLYCUMBER

Still fancy Rhode to win the championship. They've won alot of u21 titles and should have plenty of quality to add to the experience they already have. New manager will have them fresh again.

Its a toss up who meets them in Final. Gracefield are certainly good enough to make it. Clara and Tullamore the other possibilities. Think the interest in shamrocks died after last seasons final. Cant see them coming back from it. Clara have a handy draw to ease their way through the early stages and wont be caught out when experimenting.

DD
All Star
Location: He's on the 45.. he's on the 21..he's on the 14..a shot..

Post by DD »

redser wrote:Prediction for who will make knockout stages:

RHODE
TULLAMORE
GRACEFIELD
EDENDERRY
CLARA
BALLYCUMBER

Still fancy Rhode to win the championship. They've won alot of u21 titles and should have plenty of quality to add to the experience they already have. New manager will have them fresh again.

Its a toss up who meets them in Final. Gracefield are certainly good enough to make it. Clara and Tullamore the other possibilities. Think the interest in shamrocks died after last seasons final. Cant see them coming back from it. Clara have a handy draw to ease their way through the early stages and wont be caught out when experimenting.
I think Shamrocks will still win the group despite last years collapse. Ultimately thay have better players than Edenderry & Gracefield and unless they have thrown in the towel completely, they will have enough to take top spot.
It should be a great tussle for the runners up.. as things stand Gracefield will be slight favourites but we'll be there or thereabouts..

Silken Thomas
All Star

Post by Silken Thomas »

Maybe a few more people might get back to this;

This is IMO the best twelve teams in the senior championship.
However the draw for the championship will warp teams achievements this season.

1.Rhode
2.Clara
3.Tullamore
4.Shamrocks
5.Gracefield
6.Ballycumber
7.Edenderry
8.Ferbane
9.Shannonbridge
10.Erin rovers
11.Tubber
12.St. Rynaghs

Any Ideas?
The world is a stage, but the play is badly cast.

Lone Shark
All Star
Club: Ferbane

Post by Lone Shark »

Some very high rankings for Edenderry throughout this thread. Call me doubting (as opposed to Silken!! :D ) Thomas, but I don't necessarily see how they're entitled to such a ranking. They'll be third favourites in their group, much like Ferbane, they still haven't beaten anyone of significance in years and yet people are ranking them above Ferbane???

Call me biased, but I ain't seeing it.

I'll go on record here - Shamrocks' mental state will determine whether they win or choke it since they have a huge array of talent all across the pitch, Rhode might come back into it if Alan McNamee hits form again, and Gracefield are my dark horses since they are the only other team with a midfielder, which in Offaly goes a long way.
Kevin Egan. Signed out of respect for players and all involved with Offaly.

naasmanxrhode
All Star

Post by naasmanxrhode »

2008 will be Rhode's year, Tom Coffey has freshened things up, training going very well and a few new faces in the panel. I would say that Rhode would be strong favs, maybe 1/1. A g0od bet like Denman.
Last edited by naasmanxrhode on Thu Apr 17, 2008 12:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Be careful out their

True Red
All Star

Post by True Red »

Ah sure we may as well give the Dowling cup to Rhode now. Looks like they have it wrapped up already. :wink:
If you don’t stand for something you fall for anything

the special 1
Junior C

Post by the special 1 »

senior football rankings 2008 odds 4 championship
1 rhode 10/11
2 shamrocks 7/2
3 tullamore 5/1
4 clara 11/2
5 ballycumber. 20/1
6 gracefield 22/1