Reprieve for St. Mary's - EDIT - All Referees now on strike

A forum to air your views on Offaly GAA matters and beyond.
Lone Shark
All Star
Club: Ferbane

Reprieve for St. Mary's - EDIT - All Referees now on strike

Post by Lone Shark »

Hogan Stand wrote:Amalgamation side St Mary’s have been granted permission to play in the 2008 under-21 championship after a two-year ban was overturned by the CCC.

The amalgamation of Ballyskenagh and Shinrone were barred from this year’s and next year’s championships after the failed to identify who assaulted a referee during their defeat to St Rynagh’s last year.

Upon failure to name the culprit responsible, the county board banned the side from entering the under-21 championship for the next two years, but after an appeal to the newly formed competitions control committee, it was deemed inappropriate to punish the players for the incident.

While on the one hand it's fair enough that players shouldn't suffer for the actions of the clubs involved, but the club should suffer - and very heavily at that. If we don't protect the referees then there really is not a lot sacred in our games at all. Can someone tell me if this means that St. Mary's or the clubs that comprise it have been subject to any punishment at all now?

When you think of the nonsense going on down in Cork, I'd say referees in Offaly and beyond have a lot more cause to be striking right now. I know if I was a whistler I'd be very uneasy going onto the field after this.
Last edited by Lone Shark on Thu Feb 28, 2008 6:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Kevin Egan. Signed out of respect for players and all involved with Offaly.

Silken Thomas
All Star

Re: Reprieve for St. Mary's

Post by Silken Thomas »

Wanted to get back to this one alright. Similarily to LS, would love to know if St. Marys received any punishment at all?. Surely there is somebody from Shinrone/Ballyskenach on the site? :D

Whether the referee in question was right or wrong, anyone who has even taken charge of an under ten match would know that there are at least a handful of fifty-fifty decisions in every game and to paraphrase Kings Of September only an eighth of a second to make ones mind up!

The job of a referee is extremely hard and I would feel that this particular individual had no intention in 'doing' any team.
I'm no psychologist by any stretch of the imagination but I'll have to say fair play LS you seem to have let '97 well and truly go. :D

I'm aware this referee polices both codes so I was just wondering Who do people think are the leading Men In Black in Offaly?
To throw the ball in so to speak I think Basil Cronin(Tubber) is due a County Final soon...
Consistent, authoritative, reasonable playing experience and with the common sense to match...
The world is a stage, but the play is badly cast.

TheManFromFerbane
All Star

Post by TheManFromFerbane »

I'd actually say we have a pretty good standard of refereeing in the county. In general they are fit enough, will explain their decision if you don' t badger them, good under pressure and are generally good humoured as well which helps.

In my opinion the best is Catch Buckley. IMHO he best covers the above attributes.

There are a couple that I don't think really make the grade for one reason or another but they generally don't get senior championship games.
The night is darkest before the dawn

johntherobber
Junior B

Post by johntherobber »

Herad Tony Carroll refereed Offaly v Waterford in a challenge on Saturday in Borrisoleigh and did a brutal job but that doesnt surprise me [editted by admin]!!

Lone Shark
All Star

Post by Lone Shark »

Silken Thomas wrote: I'm no psychologist by any stretch of the imagination but I'll have to say fair play LS you seem to have let '97 well and truly go....
To be fair to the man, all he did was play a minute or so longer than he meant to (and then another two minutes to try and give Ferbane a chance after that) and seeing as one of my biggest bugbears is referees NOT allowing sufficient extra time in games, particularly not reacting when a "cramp" happens as soon as the 3 mins or whatever is announced, it would be hard to hold a grudge over somebody who erred on the other side by a wee bit.

Human error happens to everyone. The only time ever ever felt hard done by from a ref was in Nowlan Park against Kildare in 2002, when Paddy Russell told Colm Quinn there was time for more play, let him kick it over the bar and then blew up as the kickout was caught. That wasn't human error by any stretch of the imagination, and as such it's the only grudge I'd still hold.

In terms of Offaly referees, well at the risk of being ridiculously predictable, I think Brian Gavin's rise through the ranks is very well deserved. His control of a game in either code is top notch, and he doesn't miss any of the little devious flicks towards an elbow that some non-playing refs mightn't catch. Couldn't disagree on Basil Cronin either, though I'd be a little more wary of Catch Buckley. He tends to be one of those that decides whether or not it's a foul based on whether or not you fall down. I've never seen a club in Offaly go to town taking advantage of it, but it will happen some day.

The Magpie
All Star

Post by The Magpie »

Silken Thomas wrote:To throw the ball in so to speak I think Basil Cronin(Tubber) is due a County Final soon...
Consistent, authoritative, reasonable playing experience and with the common sense to match...
I'm not so sure about this ST. I would say almost no playing experience. Turning into a good ref though.

Brian Gavin must be close to getting a Senior All Ireland Final too.
The Dog chases the Car....the Car stops....the Dog can't Drive!

Bord na Mona man
All Star
Club: Clara

Post by Bord na Mona man »

The Magpie wrote:
Silken Thomas wrote:To throw the ball in so to speak I think Basil Cronin(Tubber) is due a County Final soon...
I'm not so sure about this ST. I would say almost no playing experience. Turning into a good ref though.
He would have hurled for Clara in the 90s and was a nippy sort of hurler. Since moving to Tubber he has been on the football panel for the last few years and features regularly on the senior team.

Lone Shark
All Star

Post by Lone Shark »

Incidentally, I've just been made aware of the sanction that was handed to St. Mary's in place of the ban:
Two year ban lifted and replaced by a 1,000 euro fine plus loss of home venue for two years
For what it's worth, it is slightly comforting to notice that there is some punishment in place for a very serious offence, however I remain slightly troubled by the fact that no individual has been cited when there clearly should have been.

beirut
All Star

Post by beirut »

Not from Kinnitty or anything but any match I've seen Tony Carroll involved in, he's done a pretty good job. But I do notice football refs seem to blow the whistle alot more in Hurling matches that their Hurling counterparts but as mentioned above probably due to the fact that they haven't actually played the game themselves.

Plain of the Herbs
All Star
Club: Lusmagh

Post by Plain of the Herbs »

I see Ciaran Groome is now on the inter-county hurling list. Where’s he from and what experience has he? I don’t recall him refereeing any senior club matches.
Pat Donegan. Signed out of respect for players and all involved with Offaly.

The Magpie
All Star

Post by The Magpie »

Bord na Mona man wrote:He would have hurled for Clara in the 90s and was a nippy sort of hurler. Since moving to Tubber he has been on the football panel for the last few years and features regularly on the senior team.
You're testing my memory now. Hurled with which team exactly? I can remember him hurling U14 alright. Perhaps there was some Junior hurling after that?
The Dog chases the Car....the Car stops....the Dog can't Drive!

Bord na Mona man
All Star
Club: Clara

Post by Bord na Mona man »

The Magpie wrote:Perhaps there was some Junior hurling after that?
Definitely Junior B.
The mind might be playing tricks but I think he held the hurl with the left hand on top grip.

Lone Shark
All Star

Re: Reprieve for St. Mary's - EDIT - All Referees now on strike

Post by Lone Shark »

In what will probably be old news to a lot of ye, I've just heard that in response to this all the referees in the county are now gone on strike and refusing to take charge of games.

I appreciate that every club likes to stand up for their own, but as long as the individual involved in being protected, I can't blame them. I'm not sure what the Offaly county board can realistically do within their rules having backtracked already, but this is a very ugly situation right now.

Offalys Future
All Star

Post by Offalys Future »

The Shinrone Club know exactly who it was that hit the referee and the reason they wont name him is because he has 2 kids that play hurling underage. Both Shinrone and Ballyskenagh should be thrown out of both the senior and intermediate championships and every other grade in the county until this person receives the penalty he deserves.

The county board should fight this and not allow them to get away with it.
" In The Presence Of Confidence Doubt Cannot Exist "

Hyper
All Star

Post by Hyper »

Is that the rule that the club involved has to name the player? How come a witness from outside can't be used to give evidence?