Birr vs Dunloy

A forum to air your views on Offaly GAA matters and beyond.
Lone Shark
All Star
Club: Ferbane

Birr vs Dunloy

Post by Lone Shark »

Nothing up about this, so I said I may as well get the ball rolling, despite not having done any huge amount of research.... (Lazy, but there you go :D )

Traditionally the line for games like this is to express concern at the Ulster club, but at the risk of being overconfident for the Offaly club, I get the feeling that the standard of club representation up there has deteriorated from a few years ago when they were knocking off Mount Sion and the likes. Loughrea were as vulnerable a club as came out of Galway for ages, and Balygalget didn't really make the best go of it at all when they were there to be beaten. Ballycran knocked them off and should have been brushed aside easily by Dunloy, but they weren't.

They have a fine line of wily forwards, and the likes Ally Elliot and Gregory O'Kane will still chip in with their share of scores, but the Birr backs should be well able for that, while in the half forward line they don't have the kind of power that should be needed to stop Birr establishing a platform of dominance.

I believe Birr have had some ropey results on the challenge circuit in recent weeks, but even still I'd say that they'd want to be winning this by about 9 or 10 if they are to have any chance of knocking off Portumna (or Loughmore) in the final. Funnily enough it looks to be opening up for them to a certain degree. Portumna would be very hard beat in the final, but if Joe Canning is inhibited due to injury this sunday (or possibly mightn't even play, though I doubt that) I'd strongly fancy Loughmore's chances of knocking them off.

Cue the all green and red all Ireland final, with Birr wearing Offaly colours and Loughmore wearing Tipp jerseys, as Plain of the Herbs outlined before - gotta love that. :D

Seriously though, while I think Birr should be winning by near enough double figures, I suspect they'll win by 4 or so instead, and struggle in the final .
Kevin Egan. Signed out of respect for players and all involved with Offaly.

Plain of the Herbs
All Star
Club: Lusmagh

Managers, selectors, bibs and stuff

Post by Plain of the Herbs »

I must admit I know nothing about Dunloy’s current team, so I’m not going to do any kind of an analysis. That said, Birr will be keeping an anxious watch on the weather forecast. The Clones pitch will likely be heavy and sticky, and will be a great leveller on Sunday. Antrim hurling is on a roll at the moment and Dunloy will be anxious to do their bit to keep that going.

One point I want to consider though. Pat Joe Whelahan, as we know, is fond of entering the pitch to drive on his team. The Central Council are far more exact on pitch encroachments than the Leinster Council, and Pat Joe was banned from the sideline before by the Central Council. I think Pat Joe should wear the “runner’s” yellow/orange bib and leave the “bainisteoir” bib to another. The runner has far more leeway for moving along the sideline (but not onto the pitch) than the manager.

Just a thought.

I understand Joe Canning has a hamstring injury. I’d imagine they’d keep him on the field to take the frees no matter how bad he is. Even if he couldn’t move he’d keep a defender occupied which would make space for Damien Hayes to make his darting runs.

I’m surprised he was hurling for the college if he was carrying such an injury. I can’t imagine a Birr hurler doing that in such circumstances. On the other hand, if he’s on a scholarship perhaps he’s duty bound to tog out and hurl.

Interesting to note Neil Rogers hurling for his college. I wonder has he returned to the Birr squad?
Pat Donegan. Signed out of respect for players and all involved with Offaly.

Offalys Future
All Star

Re: Birr vs Dunloy

Post by Offalys Future »

I think Birr are going to struggle this weekend. If Dunloy have their work done and have a free taker that wont miss a free and two decent backs to mark Brian Whelehan and Gary Haniffy tight then where are Birrs scores going to come from?
I havent a clue what Dunloy are like and usually on the big occasion they fail to impress. Whether that will happen this weekend it remains to be seen.
I think they can bridge the gap maybe.

As for Neil Rodgers ya he playing with GMIT but not back with Birr.
" In The Presence Of Confidence Doubt Cannot Exist "

midfield
County player

Post by midfield »

If Birr do get through to the All Ireland , I wonder what kind of condition Croke Park will be in and what kind of playing surface the hurlers will face after the recent Rugby matches in Croke Park. Ireland are due to play Wales on Saturday March 8th leaving only one week for the pitch to be ok for the 17th of March?

Lone Shark
All Star

Post by Lone Shark »

8 point win - 0-17 to 0-9.

Pretty close to the level I thought they'd have to hit to be competitive in March - there could be life in the ould dogs yet.

midfield
County player

Post by midfield »

Congrats to Birr . Wonder would the GAA consider bringing the club all ireland to Thurles ,now that Portumna have also qualified for the final. would make more sense instead of bringing both teams all the way to Croke Park.?

Lone Shark
All Star

Post by Lone Shark »

midfield wrote:Congrats to Birr . Wonder would the GAA consider bringing the club all ireland to Thurles ,now that Portumna have also qualified for the final. would make more sense instead of bringing both teams all the way to Croke Park.?
I'd say St. Vincent's qualifying could be the fly in that ointment. I can't imagine they'll happily accept moving the game from half a mile down the road to mid Tipperary.

Bord na Mona man
All Star
Club: Clara

Post by Bord na Mona man »

Birr ran out commanding winners in the end but had it tough for 3/4 of the match.
Surprisingly, the Birr side under Pajo Whelahan would be renowned for enjoyable training sessions and relaxed "team bonding" sessions, lasted the pace much better then Dunloy. It did seem noticeable that some of Dunloy's older stalwarts ran out of steam with about 10 minutes to go. In contrast, the Birr bench contained speed merchants like Michael Dwane, who was sprung from it to torment Dunloy with his pace.

In the early exchanges Birr looked very much in command. They went into a 0-3 to 0-0 lead fairly quickly with the Dunloy defence looking shaky. At this point Birr should have pushed home their advantage more. They would have gone further clear, was it not for over elaboration in attack, overdoing the soloing and too many stray passes. Also Brian Whelahan fluffed a couple of straightforward frees. On a side note, free taking was probably the least accomplished aspect of Sid's game, yet most pundits and commentators tended to rate him as one of the master practitioners of the art. He was 60% at best in his Offaly days from 65s.
Never mind that. One piece of Sid magic in the first half was when he was under pressure and crowded on the touchline, turning back towards his own goal, he slung a lovely ball back out towards the middle picking out an unmarked Rory Hanniffy who stuck it over.

As the half wore on, Dunloy started to win the ball, find their colleagues and play good direct hurling. They were preventing Birr winning puckout possession and were edging it at midfield. Sean Mullan was managing to keep Gary Hanniffy from making clean catches and puckouts aimed at Brian Whelahan (playing centre forward) were being defended well by Damian McMullan. At midfield Dunloy drove good long balls into the full forward line, whereas Birr were more ponderous in possession.

At half time the game was keenly balanced though you felt Birr had a little that little bit extra in reserve. For the second half, Michael Dwane came on for Paul O'Meara who had picked up an injury mid way through the first half. Birr upped it a notch and started to score more freely. The spread the ball wide more and gave forwards like Simon Whelahan a chance to run, onto it and shake off the markers.

Barry Whelahan started to win a lot of puckouts and move the ball quickly. His ability to get the ball in hand first time, avoid tackles and deliver, makes him the sort of player Joe Dooley should be contacting.

Stephen Browne also came to the fore after half time, winning ball, making yards and hitting quality low ball down the channels. Rory Hanniffy started to find space and gave us glimpses of his blinding pace. He stuck over one great long range point at a crucial stage of the match.

Sean Ryan, found the conditions difficult, though he did get 2 points. He is player who thrives of picking up loose ball but isn't suited to being a target man. I think he needs to be played further outfield, unless he is played alongside a full forward who breaks the ball down for him. Lobbing in 50/50 balls between him and his marker is not going to work.

With pitch conditions so poor, both sets of backs were in for a nervous time of it. The Birr full back line stuck tight to their men and were unlikely to concede the goals that realistically were Dunloy's best hope of turning Birr over. Breeder made some good catches and apart from worrying short puck out, had a faultless display.

The game was still in the balance with 10 to go. With Birr 3 points up, Dunloy went in search of a goal. If the 50/50 lob into the Birr goalmouth had got whipped to the net, instead of away to safety, it could have been a storming finish. Instead Birr went downfield, stretched the gap to the magic 4 and kicked for home.

Overall it was an impressive Birr display given the conditions. Dunloy are in transition and need more time to blend a team together. Birr are clever enough to give Portumna a good battle in the final. On paper the Galway men would warrant being favourites, but never rule out the Pad Joe Whelahan madness factor to cause an upset.

Archangel
All Star
Club: Ballycommon

Post by Archangel »

midfield wrote:Congrats to Birr . Wonder would the GAA consider bringing the club all ireland to Thurles ,now that Portumna have also qualified for the final. would make more sense instead of bringing both teams all the way to Croke Park.?
GAA & common sense ... doesn't exist :roll: . It's the best option for both clubs, and Semple might be in better condition than Croker once the Ruggers are finished with it. Don't hold your breath.
Blasphemy is a victimless crime

Bord na Mona man
All Star
Club: Clara

Post by Bord na Mona man »

Archangel wrote: GAA & common sense ... doesn't exist :roll: . It's the best option for both clubs, and Semple might be in better condition than Croker once the Ruggers are finished with it. Don't hold your breath.
I'm sure players who have dreamed of playing in Croke Park in an All Ireland final all their lives might see it differently
If I was playing for a club that got to the All Ireland, I'd want to play in Headquarters and not the nearest convenient pitch.
Also people who bought premium Croke Park tickets and expect the club finals to be one of their allocated fixtures mightn't agree with the Thurles option either.

If the matches were moved to Thurles, I'm sure you would have a different crowd of people complaining about GAA incompetence! Sometimes you just can't win...

Efan
Senior

Post by Efan »

Highlights from the game yesterday ... Well done the town.

http://www.rte.ie/sport/gaa/2008/0224/s ... rt_av.html
:D
Efan :)

durra1
All Star
Club: Durrow/Ballinamere

Post by durra1 »

Personally I think he’s a top class ref but did anyone else think Michael Haverty of Portumna was a strange appointment for this one?

Dwanes point was pure class

Lone Shark
All Star

Post by Lone Shark »

Is Haverty not Loughrea?

durra1
All Star
Club: Durrow/Ballinamere

Post by durra1 »

Quietened by LS :oops: - sorry bout that folks !

Lone Shark
All Star

Post by Lone Shark »

No bother - I second guessed myself when you said it as it happened.