Offaly imports and exports over the years

A forum to air your views on Offaly GAA matters and beyond.
Bord na Mona man
All Star
Club: Clara

Offaly imports and exports over the years

Post by Bord na Mona man »

Offaly imports and exports over the years.
Off the top of my head (these are open to correction) I can think of:

Imports:
Aidan O'Halloran (Football - Wastemeath early 80s)
Dave Kavanagh (Football - Kildare late 80s)
Tom Keogh (Football - Wicklow early 00s)
John O'Hara (Football - Dublin 2008)
Niall Kelly (Football - Wastemeath 2008)
PJ Ward (Football - Wastemeath 2007)
Tom Donoghue (Hurling - Galway 1981)
Francis Kerrigan (Hurling - Galway 2008)

Exports:
Sean Lowry (Mayo mid 80s)
Liam Currams (Derry 80s)
Joe McKenna (Limerick early 70s)

Players who grew up in Offaly but left:
David Mitchell (Football - Wastemeath)
Michael Crimmins (Hurling - Galway)

There must be tons more!

Bord na Mona man
All Star
Club: Clara

Re: Offaly imports and exports over the years

Post by Bord na Mona man »

Also, Seamus Morkham an All Ireland minor winner in the 80s hurled with Dublin a few years later.
I can't remember what other Offaly lad did the same too. Maybe Alan Kelly or Ronald Byrne?
I don't know if Timmy Dooley ever hurled for Dublin, he transferred to Faughs and hurled with them for years.

Over The Black Spot
County player

Post by Over The Black Spot »

Bord na Mona man wrote:Also, Seamus Morkham an All Ireland minor winner in the 80s hurled with Dublin a few years later.
I can't remember what other Offaly lad did the same too. Maybe Alan Kelly or Ronald Byrne?
I don't know if Timmy Dooley ever hurled for Dublin, he transferred to Faughs and hurled with them for years.
Alan Kelly hurled senior with Dublin for a couple of years. If I remember correctly, his fellow clubman Pat Horan refereed a game he lined out in in Croker & his father done umpire, that can't have happened too often if ever.

Not sure about Timmy Dooley lining out with the Dubs but Ronnie Byrne never ''officially'' hurled with anyone bar Lusmagh or Offaly but if you know the man, maybe you know different????

Plain of the Herbs
All Star
Club: Lusmagh

Alan Kelly

Post by Plain of the Herbs »

I wasn’t going to come out of my winter hibernation until the hurling resumed in earnest but I want to clear something up here.

I recall Alan Kelly played championship hurling with Dublin against Wexford in 1992. Kelly was a Kilmacud Crokes clubman by then. While his father was a regular umpire for Pat Horan (who refereed that day) it should be noted that Tommo Kelly stood down from his umpiring duties that day.

Seamus Morkan played for Dublin in the 1991 Leinster championship. They should have beaten Kilkenny in the final.
Over The Black Spot wrote:
Bord na Mona man wrote:Also, Seamus Morkham an All Ireland minor winner in the 80s hurled with Dublin a few years later.
Alan Kelly hurled senior with Dublin for a couple of years. If I remember correctly, his fellow clubman Pat Horan refereed a game he lined out in in Croker & his father done umpire, that can't have happened too often if ever.

Not sure about Timmy Dooley lining out with the Dubs but Ronnie Byrne never ''officially'' hurled with anyone bar Lusmagh or Offaly but if you know the man, maybe you know different????
Some other transfers not noted by Bord na Mona Man above:-
Kieran Flannery, having grew up in Esker, played corner back for Galway in the 1981 minor All-Ireland and played for Galway seniors in some league matches later in the ’80’s. He moved to Banagher when he married and transferred to St. Rynagh’s. He played corner back for Offaly against Dublin and Laois in the 1987 Leinster senior championship before being replaced by Martin Hanamy for the Leinster final. Hanamy, as we know, went on to make the no. 4 jersey his own for the next dozen years.

I’ve a feeling Declan O’Loughlin played for Laois against Offaly in the 1981 Leinster football final and transferred to Offaly to play for the Faithful, possibly against Dublin in Portlaoise in 1986 (on the day Argentina won the World soccer Cup final in Mexico in 1986). Somebody might confirm this

Bord na Mona Man has suggested Mickey Crimmins resided in Offaly as a youth. I’m not sure about this, somebody might assist.

What was Francis Kerrigan’s Galway club and to what extent did he hurl for Galway?

Biffo Army
Intermediate

Post by Biffo Army »

As far as I know Francis Kerrigan hurled for Loughrea!! As for the extent he played with Galway I am open to correction on this but I think he won an All Ireland Minor medal maybe two/three years ago!!
The only place where success comes before work is in the dictionary.

Offaly Association
Junior C

Post by Offaly Association »

Ronnie Byrne played for Offaly and Galway in the same year. To the best of my knowledge he appeared under a pseudonym while playing for Galway. I believe he was caught, but friends in "high places" sorted it out. Some things never change!

kerryguy
Junior C

Post by kerryguy »

who remembers these guys anyways - crimmins etc??

kerryguy
Junior C

Post by kerryguy »

ord na Mona Man has suggested Mickey Crimmins resided in Offaly as a youth. I’m not sure about this, somebody might assist.

Yeah, as far as I know - he was born in Birr, Offaly and moved when he was about 13/14 - still involved with his local club in Athenry.

Fargo Boyle
All Star

Post by Fargo Boyle »

A kerry man on an Offaly Gaa forum.

Any chance ye could send me up a 5 in a row t-shirt - ye must still have bucketloads of them left

kerryguy
Junior C

Post by kerryguy »

A kerry man on an Offaly Gaa forum.

Are there rules to say "ONLY TO BE VIEWED AND COMMENTED BY OFFALY RESIDENTS"?

I'll send you a box of tees - keep you warm at night - mop up your tears.

SearingDrive
All Star

Post by SearingDrive »

Kerry guy. Could Paul Galvin model a 5 in a row teeshirt?. He says he wants to study fashion in DIT. That could be his project.

Plain of the Herbs
All Star

Re: Declan O'Loughlin

Have any of the Ferbane lads - or indeed Heshs Ump - any recollections of this fella's situation. Played for Laois against Offaly in the 1981 Leinster football final as a Mountmellick clubman, was lining out with Ferbane by 1983, played Championship for Offaly in 1986 as a Ferbane clubman yet wasn't on the scene by the time Ferbane won the 1986 County final.
Plain of the Herbs wrote:I’ve a feeling Declan O’Loughlin played for Laois against Offaly in the 1981 Leinster football final and transferred to Offaly to play for the Faithful, possibly against Dublin in Portlaoise in 1986 (on the day Argentina won the World soccer Cup final in Mexico in 1986). Somebody might confirm this.
Pat Donegan. Signed out of respect for players and all involved with Offaly.

Ferbane Forever
Junior C

Post by Ferbane Forever »

Declan O'Loughlin #1 played for Laois in the 80's and is now running O'Loughlins Hotel in Portlaoise. He was part of Micko's backroom staff as far as I know. Declan O'Loughlin #2 played in the 1983 county final for Ferbane (midfield with the great Eamon 'Jockey' Lowry) and got a few runs with Offaly-I remember him playing a NFL game in St.Brendan's park Birr, before emigrating around 1986. He now lives in South Africa.

joe bloggs
All Star

Post by joe bloggs »

Biffo Army wrote:As far as I know Francis Kerrigan hurled for Loughrea!! As for the extent he played with Galway I am open to correction on this but I think he won an All Ireland Minor medal maybe two/three years ago!!

You are right, Loughrea was the club.
He played minor with galway when joe canning was there, winning one if not two medals.
i remember coming in as a sub in the 2005 final
'if your not part of the solution, your part of the problem' J. McClean

Plain of the Herbs
All Star

Chers for clarifying, FF. I had been under the impression they were one-and-the-same person, probably due to lazy journalism at that time.

I always enjoy looking at the photos along the walls in O'Loughlins.
Ferbane Forever wrote:Declan O'Loughlin #1 played for Laois in the 80's and is now running O'Loughlins Hotel in Portlaoise. He was part of Micko's backroom staff as far as I know. Declan O'Loughlin #2 played in the 1983 county final for Ferbane (midfield with the great Eamon 'Jockey' Lowry) and got a few runs with Offaly-I remember him playing a NFL game in St.Brendan's park Birr, before emigrating around 1986. He now lives in South Africa.
Pat Donegan. Signed out of respect for players and all involved with Offaly.