Birr vs. that KK crowd

A forum to air your views on Offaly GAA matters and beyond.
Muck Savage
All Star

Birr vs. that KK crowd

Post by Muck Savage »

So what is the line on the Birr game, how many points do Ballyhale have on them? For some reason I think Birr will do a lot better than everyone thinks, it's just a pity the game is in KK.

Kevin
All Star

Re: Birr vs. that KK crowd

Post by Kevin »

Hmm...

No Cha, no Sheff eh???

I'd tend to agree with Muck Savage here that the outcome of this game requires that it first be played.

Would be nice to see Birr squeak through.
Kevin Clancey. Signed out of respect for players and all involved with Offaly.

black and red exile
All Star

Post by black and red exile »

I can certainly see Birr giving this game a right oul rattle and with the thoughts of Ballyhale jumping ahead with 5 all Irelands next St Paddy's day there is no doubt that Birr will leave nothing behind in Nowlan park next Sunday, but even without the deadly duo lining out for Shamrocks I can still see Birr falling by at least 5 points.

Efan
Senior

Post by Efan »

Although Birr were well beaten in last years encounter they had enough ball in the first half of the game to really post a traget for Ballyhale to chase with a gale. Sadly some p1ss poor shooting and inconsistent free taking meant that Birr were never anything like far enough ahead for posession they had (10 plus wides if I remember in the 1st half). Throw in Ballyhayles excellent finishing (I dont think they shot a wide in the second half of that game) and the score line did not fully reflect the possession that both teams had. Motivation will not be an issue for Birr, I just hope they have the legs and the forwards!
Efan :)

Plain of the Herbs
All Star
Club: Lusmagh

A few thoughts on Birr v Ballyhale.

Post by Plain of the Herbs »

A few thoughts on Birr v Ballyhale.

At full strength Ballyhale are probably the best club team in the country. The fact that they retained their county title without the two injured superstars is a measure of their strength. That said it’s difficult to see them retain their All Ireland crown without the great Henry Shefflin who will be ruled out beyond March. This will be their most difficult match on the road to Croke Park on the national holiday. It's also possible that James Fitzpatrick oculd line out. This weekend is the target date for his comeback following his foot injury.

A lot depends on Birr’s attitude to Sunday’s match up. They will be stung by last years collapse. Their starting fifteen will probably be close to that which played most of the second half of the county final with Watkins, O’Meara, Ryan (if fit) and Hehir all starting. Watkins’ call up gives them several options in particular the placing of Rory Hanniffy. Will Rory move to midfield (or further up?) or will they play him at wing back while moving Dylan Hayden back to his more usual forward slot?

Brian Whelahan was Birr’s trump card in the county final. However, he will be a marked man on Sunday. Aidan Cummins could well have his measure if Brian is placed at centre half forward. Birr might benefit from Brian reverting to full forward. Eamon Walsh could be exposed – he’s good around the edge of the square, but Birr should try to isolate the full back with the other five forwards spreading out, leaving plenty of space in front of goal. Perhaps Rory would take up station at centre half forward? Just a thought.

Even without the injured heroes, Ballyhale are still a formidable outfit. If Birr are to win they will need to keep the Reid brothers quiet, concede no goals and keep Ballyhale’s score to a minimum. A big ask. This is what Birr in their heyday were best at, tying opposition forwards up in knots and strangling the life out of them. Probably their finest single achievement was restricting Gowran, star forwards and all to 1-2 in an hours hurling!

Birr will carry more options and much more belief than the St. Martin’s side the Ballyhale side defeated in the Kilkenny county final three weeks ago to win their eleventh county title. Hurling in Nowlan Park won’t hinder Birr unduly either. If they can shut out the Ballyhale forwards they can win, something like twelve scores to ten.

Ta an cluiche seo beo ar TG4 ag 2in.

Loughers
All Star

Post by Loughers »

It must be remembered that the Reid's scored 1-16 of the 1-20 that Ballyhale got in the county final. Birr will give it a right rattle, but will come up just short.
Esto Fidelis

Offalys Future
All Star

Post by Offalys Future »

Birr should win Sunday.
Ballyhale without Fitzpatrick and especially Shefflin are an avergae club side.
They won a very poor county championship in Kilkenny.
They have no hurlers that are regulars on the county team,
If Birr get their act together and lads like Gary Haniffy, Rory, Barry Whelahan cop themselves on and start to play to their potential i think Birr could win this game quiet handy.
Last year Brian Whelahan was at fault for at least 8 scores for Ballyhale and Shefflin scored 1-2 from play. Also Birr played Rory as a man marker on Shefflin. None of that will be happening this year. Birr have a tighter defence and there is no need what so ever to put a man marker on any of their players this time around. Birr should go out and play the type of hurling that they are capable of.
Obviously there are alot of negatives to Birr too but thats not for today. I would be pretty confident they can win this game, alot will go down to their mentallity and preparation over the last two weeks.
This starting Ballyhale team are overhyped and have achieved nothing except win a poor county championship.
If these lads were so good why arent they playing for Kilkenny? Over-rated thats what they are.

How Birr are 4/1 to win Leinster is beyond me, put your money on them before its too late!
" In The Presence Of Confidence Doubt Cannot Exist "

Dingle
Junior A

Post by Dingle »

i'D fear for Birr. That old Offaly mentality of being scared sh1tless of KK will rear it's ugly head again. Shamrocks, without there two best, are distinctly average.The KK senior championship is a two horse race between themselves and a declining Vilage side. From 1-4 they're v weak. Problem is Birr just aint good enough themselves. Shamrocks to win easily in the end. I'd fancy Ballyboden, if they don't do the Dublin hurling thing of imploding after doing the hard work, to give Shamrock a good rattle in the final.

Kevin
All Star

Post by Kevin »

Admittedly I am far away from the scene, but if Birr are scared of anyone after all they have been through in recent years then Offaly hurling is doomed across the board.

Birr have nothing to lose in this game. Widely expected to bow down to the mighty Shamrocks ...

Not much discussion on kilkennycats.com

Unfortunate that Henry and Cha are not available. Hate to see that.

I'd expect both teams being very motivated. Hopefully the emotion is harnessed and adds to the hurling.

Good luck to Birr.
Kevin Clancey. Signed out of respect for players and all involved with Offaly.

RoverExile
Junior C

Post by RoverExile »

Are TnaG showing it?

Skippy
Intermediate

Post by Skippy »

Grat win by Birr! Congratulations to all involved!

Offalys Future
All Star

Post by Offalys Future »

No real surprise here if you ask me.
Like i said during the week this Shamrocks team without fitzpatrick and Shefflin are average.

Birr should have won this game handy.
They nearly threw the game away by putting Brian Watkins on T.J. Reid. He single handly kept shamrocks in the game until Dylan Hayden went on him.
Hayden was my man of the match he gave a great display all through and if he gets his head in order could really turn into a serious county hurler. Gary/Rory and the Birr full back line hurled very well all through. Barry whelahan started off poor but did well especially in the second half. Simon also hurled well.

Now for the negatives.
Brian Mullins was very shaky in goal
Birr have no full forward line.
At the end of the game i thought the carry on of the players and pad joe was a bit ridiculous. This is an average Birr team and they beat a poor Shamrocks team without their two best players.
A few years ago this sort of carry on would never have went on. This wasnt a great achievement it was one poor team beating another without their two best players.
I think it shows where Birr hurling really is at present.

The statement by Whelahan after to say that this was great for Offaly hurling. This win does nothing for Offaly. It will probably make things alot worse because if Birr win the Leinster Club their players won't be involved with Joe Dooley until Feb at the earliest.
That's the last thing our new manager needs.
" In The Presence Of Confidence Doubt Cannot Exist "

DD
All Star
Location: He's on the 45.. he's on the 21..he's on the 14..a shot..

Post by DD »

Offalys Future wrote:No real surprise here if you ask me.
Like i said during the week this Shamrocks team without fitzpatrick and Shefflin are average.

Birr should have won this game handy.
They nearly threw the game away by putting Brian Watkins on T.J. Reid. He single handly kept shamrocks in the game until Dylan Hayden went on him.
Hayden was my man of the match he gave a great display all through and if he gets his head in order could really turn into a serious county hurler. Gary/Rory and the Birr full back line hurled very well all through. Barry whelahan started off poor but did well especially in the second half. Simon also hurled well.

Now for the negatives.
Brian Mullins was very shaky in goal
Birr have no full forward line.
At the end of the game i thought the carry on of the players and pad joe was a bit ridiculous. This is an average Birr team and they beat a poor Shamrocks team without their two best players.
A few years ago this sort of carry on would never have went on. This wasnt a great achievement it was one poor team beating another without their two best players.
I think it shows where Birr hurling really is at present.

The statement by Whelahan after to say that this was great for Offaly hurling. This win does nothing for Offaly. It will probably make things alot worse because if Birr win the Leinster Club their players won't be involved with Joe Dooley until Feb at the earliest.
That's the last thing our new manager needs.
Jasus, you're one miserable fecker!
Are players and management of a winning team not allowed celebrate now? Especially as they went down to Kilkenny having been written off by nearly everyone and turned over Ballyhale who despite missing Shefflin & Cha were still a very good team.
Fair play to Birr, they loked in very good shape and the determination shown was fantastic. Hopefully they can go and take care of Ballyboden and do Offaly proud.

Bogman
All Star

Post by Bogman »

YAY........................!!!!!!!!!!!

I lost money because I had Ballyhale backed for the All-Ireland but that didn't stop me screaming at the TV for Birr all through the game.

Last year Ballyhale Shamrocks looked awesome - even without Henry and Cha they looked great on paper - the 3 Reid brothers are top-notch inter-county standard, the Aylwards and Fennellys are Kilkenny blue bloods and even the support players are good. Their full back had a great game for instance.

Beforehand I would have thought that Shamrocks would win and go on to take a record 5th All Ireland title, going ahead of Birr in the Roll of Honour as a result.

Niall Claffey was deservedly Man of the Match and seems to have finally found his position. I'm delighted for him because all down the years from the 1998 era I've always been impressed by his style of play and demeanour on the pitch.

I remember seeing a comment from Rory Hanniffy before the UCD match a few years ago that his favourite time of the year for hurling is in the Club Leinster Championship. A lot of the Birr lads played that way. Whelahans, father and elder son, deserve huge credit for preparing them so well.

They won with only a short cameo from Sean Ryan, who adds another dimension to their forwards.

All the Birr lads dived in for everything. If anything they over-pursued, 2 forwards often going to block one back who just passed it to the free man for the clearance.

What a Tonic for Offaly Hurling!!

That's two great victories in Nowlan Park this year - the Offaly Under 21s and Birr. Maybe we should play all our matches against Kilkenny teams there!

Bord na Mona man
All Star
Club: Clara

Post by Bord na Mona man »

Well done to Birr. The worry last year was they had been infected by the Offaly disease of paralysis when faced with Kilkenny teams.
They could have and should have won by more and lived on the edge at the very end.

Having seen Birr looking very pedestrian for a long time, it was great to see them up their performance level for yesterday's game.

Ballyboden will be a big test because they are not the windy bottlers of old and will really believe they can win a Leinster title.
Portumna are the only team with a winning pedigree left in the competition, but with the Leinster champions having to play the Munster champions, it will be a big ask for Birr to go on and win All Ireland #5.