Who will replace McIntyre?

A forum to air your views on Offaly GAA matters and beyond.
Biffo Army
Intermediate

Post by Biffo Army »

From Hogan Stand:

"Dooley set for Offaly post
10 October 2007

Joe Dooley will be unveiled as Offaly’s new hurling manager in the coming days.

The Faithful County legend, who won All-Ireland medals in 1985, ’94 and ’98, and is the only Offaly man to play in six All-Ireland senior finals, will replace John McIntyre, who stood down after this year’s championship campaign.

Dooley previously managed his native Seir Kieran, Tullamore (with who his son Shane won a county football championship medal last Sunday) and top Tipperary side Toomevara.

His selectors will be 1994 All-Ireland winning colleague Brendan Kelly (Lusmagh) and Pat McLoughney (Coolderry), who previously served as a selector alongside Eamon Cregan, Babs Keating, Michael Bond and Fr Tom Fogarty.

The recommendation of the special sub-committee entrusted with appointing the new management - county board officers Ollie Daly, Christy Todd and Andy Gallagher, along with Jim Troy, Pat O’Connor, Pat Delaney and Michael Duignan - was due to be put to a full county board meeting on Tuesday night, but the meeting was deferred until later in the week.

1981 All-Ireland winning captain Padraig Horan and outgoing selectors Paddy Kirwan and Aidan Fogarty had also been interviewed for the post.

Dooley’s appointment means there is a chance he may come into opposition with his younger brother Johnny, who was recently appointed Westmeath manager, in next year’s Leinster championship."
The only place where success comes before work is in the dictionary.

Plain of the Herbs
All Star
Club: Lusmagh

Post by Plain of the Herbs »

I want to put on record that those comments posted here at 11.45 this morning are totally unjustified.

I know one of the proposed selectors and I have huge regard both for him personally and for his sound hurling judgement.

Bord na Mona man
All Star
Club: Clara

Post by Bord na Mona man »

I'd be a small bit sceptical, but lets wait and see what happens.
I think with regards to the previous comments, I think the poster tends to sees coaches as either being completely clueless or expert with no in between.

True Red
All Star

Post by True Red »

Negativity seems to be the order of the day when that particular poster gets onto a PC. Wouldnt value his sort of diatribe anyways so I wouldnt worry unduly about it.

Offalys Future
All Star

Post by Offalys Future »

Again nothing personal in my comments. Those guys could be the nicest guys in the world i'm not saying anything bad about them but lets be very realistic here.

Joe Dooley has zero experience of managing an intercounty team at any level. He has had no success at any level as a manager.
The biggest job he got was Toomevara and he was sacked after a small time in charge.

This is a terrible decision by the county board, i can only see one bit of good in it. Maybe they decided not to get a good manager that they would have to pay alot of money for, instead they will invest this money in good u/16 and minor trainers.

As for the selectors probably a bit harsh on one of them so my apologies for that, but the other hasnt a clue about hurling and that is a fact.

Now am sure the majority of posts will be ah give him the benefit of the doubt, and people will but i can assure you it will be anoter two years wasted.
" In The Presence Of Confidence Doubt Cannot Exist "

Bord na Mona man
All Star

Offalys Future wrote: As for the selectors probably a bit harsh on one of them so my apologies for that, but the other hasnt a clue about hurling and that is a fact.
If you are going to criticise someone, at least make it credible or otherwise it sounds like bar room ranting.

How could someone who has played the game all their lives "not have a clue" about hurling? Have they had a lobotomy or had amnesia since then? Someone who hasn't a clue is someone who couldn't tell a hurl from a tennis racket. Stating that some thing is a "fact" doesn't make it any more true either.

It's these kind of wild statements that completely undermine anything you say.

Offalys Future
All Star

Post by Offalys Future »

Now your an english teacher are you? lets stick to the topic here.
Interpret the word clue whatever way you want.

My interpretation of is that somebody that doesnt have a clue is someone that isnt capable of doing the job required.

you go to coolderry and ask does he have a clue so?

and i can tell you what the answer will be - No

Bord na Mona man
All Star

Given that the selector has worked under Eamon Cregan, Babs Keating, Michael Bond and Tom Fogarty, I would suggest that he has a better "clue" than most people would.

durra1
All Star
Club: Durrow/Ballinamere

Post by durra1 »

Hate to be negative but its got that old school feeling to it.

We could have done with someone like a Davy Fitz or a Kieran McGeeney (unproven I know) equivalent – someone who young players can relate to. Someone fresh from a Fitzgibbon type or County U-21 setup.

I’m the bauld Joes biggest fan. Lord knows I’ve serenaded locals from Seoul to Phoenix with renditions of ‘That’s Joe Dooley’, and I bow to the superior local knowledge of others of PML and BK. I just think it is a more-of-the-same look about it.

Funny enough, from reading ‘Kings of September’ there lately, its interesting to note how McGee was not long out of UCD himself and after training the College side for years, took on county management of a side in the doldrums after relatively recent past success, as we find ourselves now with the hurlers. Even though he came across as slightly odd in his manor, there’s no doubt that he was in tune with how to motivate and earn the respect of those that were essentially his peers.

The special sub-committee composition looked quite broad but somehow I’m sure the Politburo had their final say.

I was hoping for something fresher looking personally. Sure what the fu%k do I know!!

Muck Savage
All Star

Post by Muck Savage »

I'd be inclined to agree that it's the auld byes giving Joe the nod. I'd love to have see someone new, fresh and willing to make a name for themselves given the job. That's not to say Joe is bad or anything but just cause you played at the top level doesn't mean you can manage at the top level (I'd look at Vinny Claffey and his failure to win one C'ship game over three years with two clubs).
What's done is done now so lets get behind the man and team, there is the makings of a good team there. I don't think we're far off Limerick and they were in a AI this year.

Can someone tell me what happened at Toome? Did the Tipp lads not like being told how to hurl by a BIFFO?

Offalys Future
All Star

Post by Offalys Future »

Can someone tell me what happened at Toome? Did the Tipp lads not like being told how to hurl by a BIFFO?
Toomevara so i'm told weren't happy wth his approach to the players. He had just stopped hurling himself and was very pally pally with the players.
Toome always have had poor discipline and they were hoping for a manager to come in that had the presence to run the show and not let player dictate to him.
They obviously felt he wasn't the man for the job.

I dont think that would be a problem in the Offaly dressing room as there is very few players with a real presence.

Maybe he will do great things but honestly i think logic doesnt allow it. He has no experience what so ever.

Plain of the Herbs
All Star
Club: Lusmagh

Post by Plain of the Herbs »

I had heard in Toomevara that some club officers, acting without prior approval of the club, phoned Joe while he was en route to Toome to a training session to tell him he was no longer required.
Muck Savage wrote:Can someone tell me what happened at Toome? Did the Tipp lads not like being told how to hurl by a BIFFO?

Bord na Mona man
All Star

The business end of the championship was nearing full speed and, even though Toomevara were already in the North-Tipperary final, they didn’t have a manager. They’d sacked Joe Dooley the previous week.

The selectors had been unhappy with his training and felt they needed a change. A couple of the senior players were against it because they thought it might split the group but a club delegation still went ahead and met Dooley in the Racket Hall hotel in Roscrea and told him he was no longer required. It was a ruthless execution. The episode is still an embarrassing memory for many in the club but the revolving door turned and Conneely stepped through it. He led them to their eighth county title in 12 years. Business as usual.
http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/sport/ ... 658205.ece

black and red exile
All Star

Post by black and red exile »

I get the impression that everybody is not exactly doing dances of joy over Gentleman Joe's appointment, presonally speaking he wouldn't be my first choice either but lets give the guy a chance as well as his selectors. Joe Dooley was a legend as a player and ok things obviously didn't work out hunky dory with Toomevara and Tullamore but his knowledge of Offaly hurling is second to none so why don't we all get behind our new management team for 2008.
Oh and by the way Offalys Future, I think everybody on this site is bored to death with your constant negativity and slating of Offaly teams, tactics and so forth. Your personal critisism of one particular selector on the new management team was highly insulting to the man and for a man who has served with so many coaches in the past, to say he hasn't a clue is idiotic to say the least.

Offalys Future
All Star

Post by Offalys Future »

Oh and by the way Offalys Future, I think everybody on this site is bored to death with your constant negativity and slating of Offaly teams, tactics and so forth. Your personal critisism of one particular selector on the new management team was highly insulting to the man and for a man who has served with so many coaches in the past, to say he hasn't a clue is idiotic to say the least.
If everything was so rosy and things going so well there would be no need to complain.

I am entitled to my opinion like anyone else. You would be best give your own opinon and not decide everyone elses.

good man

Jesus can none of ye see it, the county board have just appointed a man that has never ever had any success as a manager, never trained a county team at any level.
Yet again we are the laughing stock of the Gaa community.