Will McIntyre go?

A forum to air your views on Offaly GAA matters and beyond.
Offalyhurling07
Junior B

Will McIntyre go?

Post by Offalyhurling07 »

What's the opinion on this, will John McIntyre realise it's time to go? Who would be good in the job? Does anyone want the job? Do the players want him back? This is the time to have this discussion, before the county board make the decision for the supporters. The Supporters should be heard!

Sydthebeat
All Star

Post by Sydthebeat »

if he does go i really hope they stay away from Babs... :x

the bare biffo
All Star

Re: Will McIntyre go?

Post by the bare biffo »

Offalyhurling07 wrote: The Supporters should be heard!

........ and duly ignored.

With responsibility comes authority. The officials have responsibility for the long term health of GAA in Offaly while the players and management have responsibility for the short to medium term.

Supporters however committed we are bear no responsibility for anything except supporting. Those of us who seek authority should equally seek positions of responsility.

In other word hurlers on the ditch are not entitled to any authority.
"The ball may pass, but the man, never."

Kevin
All Star

Post by Kevin »

Agree w the Bare Biffo here, but as a point of interest - can anyone point out who might be available, interested and motivated for this task?

TheManFromFerbane
All Star
Club: Ferbane

Re: Will McIntyre go?

Post by TheManFromFerbane »

the bare biffo wrote:With responsibility comes authority.....
A very good point that we here on this board need to remind ourselves every-so-often. While its brilliant that we have the interest and the knowldge to give our own views and opinions on how things can\should be done. It's still worthwhile remembering that we are only on the sideline looking in and without knowing the full ins-and-outs its impossible to say if we'd do a better job or not.

But as I always say the GAA is a game of opionions and that's what's so great about it!!! :lol:
The night is darkest before the dawn

Lone Shark
All Star

Post by Lone Shark »

I don't think anyone would question that anything posted on here comes with a considerable degree of "my two cents" attached. In saying that, a good idea is a good idea irrespective of source, and while obviously no-one on this board would claim to have put in as much work in the cause of Offaly GAA as most if not all of our committee members and officials, equally many of those officials will read this board on occasion and you'd hate to think that they would dismiss everything posted out of hand simply because the author is not the secretary or PRO of a club.

As to the point at hand, I can't see McIntyre wanting to stay on any more, I can't see the players wanting it and I can't see the county board extending his tenure either. In terms of replacements, I don't think we need worry about Babs coming back on board either. It's probably a few years too soon for Sid to be elevated to the post, though no doubt it will be his at some point.

black and red exile
All Star

Post by black and red exile »

I heard on the grapevine that Aidan Fogarty has the job If he wants it, but he suffered major health problems a few years ago and taking on a big responsibility might just be a hassle he does'nt need at this time. My own personal favourite would be Michael Duignan, but I suppose with work commitments it would be a complete non runner.

kinnittyman
All Star

Post by kinnittyman »

As we are all well aware during Macs threee year term offaly have failed top beat any of the top 8 sides in the championship but if we were to be truthfully honest i dont think the vast majority of us would be hugely disappointed if he stayed on(obviously offalys future i exclude you from that). The way he cleaned out the panel, introduced new faces and kept us reasonably competitive was a big plus. And if anyone says the first half against kilkenny didnt stir the emotions and remind us of the good old days is bluffing. But chances are McIntyre will go so we are faced with a dillema-stay inside or look outside again. Money and lack of potential would seem to rule out any high profile outside manager like donal o grady. But i think Davy Fitzgerald is an interesting candidate-there is no denying he would bring an infectious enthuaisism to the job and he'd love to prove a major point. After him i cant really think of anyone else who we could go for outside offaly that would be interested. Around the county some of the members of the 90 panels might throw their hat into the ring but id like to see Brian Whelehan get involved with an offaly underage team rather than training club teams in galway before he gets the post. And what of Padraig Horan, he'd surely be in with a chance if he wanted it. One things is for sure its gona be very interesting to see who gets it. My preferences are, taking everything into account and being realistic about who might take the job, are Davy Fitzgerald from outside and Padraig Horan from inside. Limited selection i know!!!!!

Lone Shark
All Star

Post by Lone Shark »

kinnittyman wrote: id like to see Brian Whelehan get involved with an offaly underage team rather than training club teams in galway before he gets the post.
Interesting sub-point here. I would have said training a good adult club team would be better preparation than training an underage side. (Notwithstanding the fact that having experience of both is obviously preferable overall) Having a look at the premise might be worthy of a thesis some day.

sin01
Junior A

Post by sin01 »

I see john mcintyre has handed in notification to county board last night, informing them he was resigning! Can't say this was a surprise!!!!! He is going looking at the vacancy in the Tipperary camp!

Just who will we have to replace him i wonder!

manfromdelmonte
All Star

Post by manfromdelmonte »

Michael Bond anyone?

just retired as principal in loughrea...
only the best...

sin01
Junior A

Post by sin01 »

Michael Bond....oh i feel a case of deja vu coming on!!!! ha ha........from what i can remember he was a fairly good manager......

I think a total change is needed all the same..... a totally fresh face in2 the management.

Loughers
All Star

Replacement

Post by Loughers »

Heard Anthony Daly's name being bandied about.
Esto Fidelis

Oskar
Intermediate
Club: Clara

Post by Oskar »

Ah yes. Just what we need. Another joker from Clare. Maybe Babs fancies another try with sheep in a heap.

the bare biffo
All Star

Post by the bare biffo »

Oskar wrote:Ah yes. Just what we need. Another joker from Clare. Maybe Babs fancies another try with sheep in a heap.
At least in Babs time there were a few rams in the flock.
"The ball may pass, but the man, never."