Offaly Minor Football and Hurling 2023

A forum to air your views on Offaly GAA matters and beyond.
jimbob17
All Star

Offaly Minor Football and Hurling 2023

Post by jimbob17 »

Heard today that last years U16 management are set to take on minor football job for 2023. Not sure how true this is or who is involved. Anybody know who the manager is or what would be the hopes for minor football in 2023.

Also, have not heard of anything re minor hurling management for 2023. Anybody know? Obviously, last years management have moved on to U20s as expected. What are the hopes for minor hurlers in 2023?
jimbob

Offalyblueboy
Junior A
Club: Tullamore

Re: Offaly Minor Football and Hurling 2023

Post by Offalyblueboy »

Yeah I believe after numerous others turned it down that roger ryan of Shannonbridge took it on fair play to him and good luck to him. Last I heard he was getting it hard to get selectors

private joker
All Star

Post by private joker »

U16 hurling mgt taking minor. Enda mulhare manager. Again, CB found it very hard to get to somone to take this job. They really need to ask themselves why this is the case. Very, very low expectations for 2023 and 2024 in hurling.

jimbob17
All Star

Post by jimbob17 »

Can see why lads would turn down minor management roles and interesting to see difficulties in getting people involved so well done and best of luck to those taking it on.

It is a hugely important role in Offaly GAA and a lot of people who may be strong candidates may be offered 'voluntary roles' with adult clubs which may be more enticing. Managing a minor team is a huge commitment and there are not a huge amount of people who would be capable of doing it right. The day of the honour and prestige associated and doing it for free is gone if you want to attract the best people. I think the county board should be looking at making minor management more attractive to attract high calibre of people and should be given nominal payment that is decided by the county board. Other less well off counties are able to do it.

A nominal 1k or 2k payment for a minor manager with proper mileage expenses for selectors might change the dynamic and it might be a lot easier to get good qualified people involved.

People don't do this type of thing for money but if people have other things going on, work and young families etc, it is a big ask to manage a Co minor team for a year for nothing with the cost of fuel etc and just a small gesture to make it worthwhile could make all the difference. The county board turned an excess of over 400k this year and I can't see a problem in giving a couple of grand to minor managements so they aren't out of pocket.

I would cut it off at minor and development squads should operate as they always did with volunteers only. That would be their opportunity to show that they are up to doing minor if they do well there. There is a much less time commitment with dev squads only meeting once a week for only parts of the year and that should be left alone.
jimbob

Offalyblueboy
Junior A
Club: Tullamore

Post by Offalyblueboy »

I know 100% genuinely that there was over 10 lads rang for minor mgr job and all turned it down some genuine excuses but with it been u17 it’s not a big job anymore which is sad plus and mgr worth his salt is either with his own club or assisting another club it’s sad to see this day but the calibre of person involved is not good enough

Hasselhoff
All Star

Post by Hasselhoff »

It's like a team in every club. If it is a good team there would be plenty of lads looking to take them over, and when there's a team with not much prospects no one wants to take them on.

I've seen it happen so many times. I've seen lads in clubs put in massive work into developing a team at under 11,under 13 and then when they have developed a team and trained them up at minor, other trainers canvass and step in to take the silverware and plaudits.

We are where we are as a county.

frankthetank
All Star

Post by frankthetank »

Offalyblueboy wrote: Fri Dec 30, 2022 8:47 pm I know 100% genuinely that there was over 10 lads rang for minor mgr job and all turned it down some genuine excuses but with it been u17 it’s not a big job anymore which is sad plus and mgr worth his salt is either with his own club or assisting another club it’s sad to see this day but the calibre of person involved is not good enough
Punctuation, please!

jimbob17
All Star

Post by jimbob17 »

Hasselhoff wrote: Fri Dec 30, 2022 9:39 pm It's like a team in every club. If it is a good team there would be plenty of lads looking to take them over, and when there's a team with not much prospects no one wants to take them on.

I've seen it happen so many times. I've seen lads in clubs put in massive work into developing a team at under 11,under 13 and then when they have developed a team and trained them up at minor, other trainers canvass and step in to take the silverware and plaudits.

We are where we are as a county.
Not sure how this second example correlates with this instance and not saying that is what is being suggested. That does happen and its probably more a reflection on weak administrators in individual clubs if its case that those who brought earlier success get turfed out for glory hunters. Why isn't it challenged at agm's and if it is, then that'll put a stop to it if it is perceived to be unfair or a 'wrong decision'. Not much point complaining here or anywhere else if not challenged at only place where it counts.

However, here the issue was they were known to be weak or not so great. I think though, if they are organised properly, there is enough talent in Offaly always in football to be more than competitive at minor level. Maybe there was a reason they weren't doing so well at underage.....
jimbob

Bord na Mona man
All Star
Club: Clara

Post by Bord na Mona man »

Hasselhoff wrote: Fri Dec 30, 2022 9:39 pm It's like a team in every club. If it is a good team there would be plenty of lads looking to take them over, and when there's a team with not much prospects no one wants to take them on.

That may well happen and be the wrong thing. On the other hand I'm sure there are scenarios where a seasoned coach can add an extra dimension to a maturing group of players. What works at U11 and U13 might not be the winning formula at minor. A coach who already has experience of managing at an older grade might make less mistakes.

private joker
All Star

Post by private joker »

If your with a team from u7 you should move aside at u14. Different set of skills needed and know how needed, plus the obvious "new voice". Children are now teenagers and are a different animal.

Doon Exile
All Star

Post by Doon Exile »

private joker wrote: Sun Jan 01, 2023 12:41 am If your with a team from u7 you should move aside at u14. Different set of skills needed and know how needed, plus the obvious "new voice". Children are now teenagers and are a different animal.
I would agree but you’re typically relying on parents to coach and generally only one or two will ‘have the time’ or the skill set.

If there’s a decent team there, it increases the possibility of someone taking them over at minor but if not, then it will be left to the same voices and it’s not good I don’t think to have the same persons from u7 to u17.
Doon exile....

pigeon house biffo
All Star
Club: Rynagh

Post by pigeon house biffo »

what was the story with that offaly schools team today? was it made up of all 2nd level schools apart from edenderry and tullamore? Doesn't say much if the best of our schools can't beat one longford school

biffinbanner
All Star
Club: ferbane

Post by biffinbanner »

was it st mels? they usually very good and have a long traditon of good football teams. i(f it was them)

private joker
All Star

Post by private joker »

It was a fair beating. 2 -19 to 2-5

substandard
All Star
Club: Shamrocks

Post by substandard »

Outclassed today- was involved in the background. A couple of players missing through injury didn't help the cause, but Mels were much the better regardless. Mels started like a train, and it spooked the Offaly lads, and just couldn't get any momentum until the damage was done. It was disappointing from the point of view that it didn't reflect what many of these lads can do, when the entire structure was creaking.
I was involved a few years ago as well- the first year we struggled to get a panel together, won one game v Dundalk schools, then lost to Wicklow schools. The following year, we won two rounds and lost to Marist in the semi-final, with a good few lads from that squad featuring with the u20s, but combined teams were gone thereafter, although we had players from Coláiste Choilm at the time.
I fully appreciate that today doesn't look good, but for what it's worth, I do think it's a worthwhile project, in that it gives a bit of a bridge for some players between minor and u20. Today wasn't a good day, but some of these lads will feature in the next couple of years, and getting a taste of higher grade football will ultimately benefit them.