Tullamore parentage motion

A forum to air your views on Offaly GAA matters and beyond.
FJB
Junior B
Club: Gracefield

Re: Tullamore parentage motion

Post by FJB »

Won't this work both ways though? I know that just across the Barrow from me in Laois, you can declare for, or transfer to, your parent's home club and it doesn't get in to too much detail about length of membership or anything either.
Quite a few young lads then start out with, or move to, their dad's home club which is often a smaller club outside the town where parents are living.

Lone Shark
All Star
Club: Ferbane

Post by Lone Shark »

FJB wrote: Sat Dec 03, 2022 1:16 pm Won't this work both ways though? I know that just across the Barrow from me in Laois, you can declare for, or transfer to, your parent's home club and it doesn't get in to too much detail about length of membership or anything either.
Quite a few young lads then start out with, or move to, their dad's home club which is often a smaller club outside the town where parents are living.
Yeah, in theory it goes both ways, but in practice what happens is that of the better players, the traffic is one way - notwithstanding maybe for the last few year's of a player's career, when he goes back "home". There are very few instances of the county-standard player going from a senior club to a junior one, and to be honest I can't think of any off the top of my head. However there are plenty going the other way - most big town teams tend to pick up a blow in or two.
Kevin Egan. Signed out of respect for players and all involved with Offaly.

Lemonade king
Junior C
Club: Geraldine o hanrahans

Post by Lemonade king »

While the Parish rule has served Offaly well for over 100 years with the realistic fact that Urbanisation is the future for Ireland , it should be amended in some fashion .

Tullamore have started this process of change , the motion as it stands does not protect a rural club , as has been pointed out ,
1. Generally it would be perceived most flow would be to larger more successful clubs .
2. What happens those players who do not get an opportunity to due to the parental rule , where they do not have the option to chose another club.
3.Is this motion just to appease glory hunting parents who wish to live outside urban areas but will not support the rural areas they move too.
4. I would disagree with loneshark that Tullamore bringing the motion add Credence to motion , is it well known that the motion is a result of Cappincur requesting tha the parish rule being enforced as is their right . Some have not accepted the ruling of OCB and hence I believe this is the reason behind the motion .

I would suggest Laois are the county to replicate , where in if by parish rule you are attached to Portlaoise you have the option to choose any other club within the county , you can move out but not in . Designation of urban areas in offaly where you have the option makes sense, a percentage of the population would be good , as an area close to a town may expand they may become an area where movement is not restricted .

ryot
All Star
Club: Doon

Post by ryot »

I dont know enough to support the motion having lived away from Offaly for over 50 years.

The one possibility it might open would be that family of those from rural clubs, now living in large urban areas, could be enticed to play with their parents home club. Of course the possibility of the large clubs giving a welcome to players from rural areas would not be a great idea.
The parents Home County rule has allowed players such as Shane Horan become County Players. So something along those lines would be great for the small clubs, such as my own where we had and have only one third of a parish to draw on.

Hasselhoff
All Star

Post by Hasselhoff »

Apparently tullamore have withdrawn the motion

Lone Shark
All Star

Post by Lone Shark »

Hasselhoff wrote: Mon Dec 05, 2022 11:32 pm Apparently tullamore have withdrawn the motion
This is correct, Tullamore put out a press release this evening as follows:
Tullamore GAA have decided to withdraw their proposed motion around the parentage rule.

The club is committed to supporting the three children who currently cannot be members of Tullamore GAA because they live outside the club catchment area. Their parents are members of Tullamore GAA and their families wish for their sons to be members of Tullamore and wear the Tullamore jersey. We feel that this can be achieved within the Official Rules and within the Ethos of the Association. Tullamore GAA want to put it on the record that the proposed parentage rule was never aimed at Tullamore GAA club taking players from other clubs. There are a significant number of players living in the Tullamore catchment and playing with their parent's club outside the catchment. As family centred club Tullamore respect that position which has been facilitated by the County Board.

llkj
All Star

Post by llkj »

This reads to me like: you stay quiet about our 3 and we’ll stay quiet about your 28.
So it looks like we stick with the status quo and if you really want your child to play outside of where the rules intend they should play that you do what has been done for generations… you find a way around it.

It is a pity that the motion isn’t going forward as I would have liked to see the vote and listen to the debate. It is also a pity that it seems to have turned into a Tullamore/Cappincur individual saga rather than a key issue that actually impacts all clubs.

jimbob17
All Star

Post by jimbob17 »

With rural planning rules, I think Tullamore may have realised it was not in their best interests to put this forward. They may have lost more than they'd have gained as parents living in Tullamore with intentions of moving 'back home', would register their kids with their home club. As it stands, urban development and rural depopulation helps Tullamore and hinders other clubs. The motion would have actually have had a negative effect on Tullamore I believe and they may have actually realised that it could back fire on them. They will hope to resolve that 'Cappincur issue' on a quite scale. Cappincur would be as well off to just let that one go for the sake of the kids as they could pick up a few more going the other way. Sometimes these small town politics are just not worth it.
jimbob

ah lethimoutwithit
All Star

Post by ah lethimoutwithit »

"The biggest club in the county with the biggest population and player base looking to gain even more players… This motion should be squarely defeated by every club hoping to ever compete with Tullamore again".

Here here, this is a very selfish argument being put forward for the preserve of a few who want the country lifestyle and rear their kids away from the town but avail of the trappings of Senior football.
Plain and simple and might as well throw away the keys for many clubs surrounding bigger towns.

25000 and still not enough. F sake.

Lone Shark
All Star

Post by Lone Shark »

Just out of interest, I noted that Killybegs in Donegal brought pretty much the same motion to tonight's Donegal GAA convention. It secured 54% of the vote, but needed 60% to carry, so was voted down.

greenairfield
All Star
Club: birr

Post by greenairfield »

Plenty of people wanting it so

frankthetank
All Star

Post by frankthetank »

greenairfield wrote: Thu Dec 15, 2022 9:51 am Plenty of people wanting it so
Birr thought all their Christmases had come in once with the thoughts of this going through.

private joker
All Star

Post by private joker »

Are Birr and carrig back again or are carrig been allowed to play u20 in 2023?

greenairfield
All Star
Club: birr

Post by greenairfield »

Frank it didn't make a difference to Birr as the rule is already in the Birr parish.

Birr are staying on their own for good I would imagine.