Club Football Championship 2022

A forum to air your views on Offaly GAA matters and beyond.
Fairplayalways
All Star

Re: Club Football Championship 2022

Post by Fairplayalways »

I do laugh (not really but ya know what I mean) when posters come on throw out all the modern talk of posessions over turned, rucks won and all this modern "I know my stuff" chat. Watched yesterdays game and while the end was enjoyable I was surprised that it actually was 05-0-03 at halftime as some of the football was terrible altogehter. Tullamore not scoring for 18 minutes and then it was their corner back that scored it. I heard people saying after Rhode got over Ferbane that Tullamore had the forwards to beat Rhode. I had my suspicions, Rhode know how to win, Tullamore will probably develop into a winning team, but probably a few of their star players are abit young yet, the problem is some of the older ones then are nearing their natural end too. If Tullamore were going to win yesterday, I said they would need to be winning by 4/5/6 points from early on, that did not happen at all, and once it was a close game, very close, I could only see on winner, Tullamore did kick some dreadful wides too which they will look back on. Tullamores top players carried the ball as far as they could into Rhode half but seldom did anyone offer support and attacking players had little option hbut kick from out far.You can plan your strategies all you want, if a team have determination to win that is more than half the battle, Rhode have that, more luck to them. Posters saying about "armchair supporters all very well, there is a cost of living crisis out there, and no doubt it was €20 approx to get in yesterday, if a family member is playing you can multiply that for sibblings etc. to attend. Not everyone can afford the cost of attending, more luck to those that can but remember not everyone can.

Faithful Future
Junior B

Post by Faithful Future »

A hard watch yesterday .

For Tullamore, they will be disappointed. I thought they really lacked penetration apart from Moloney. Brazil had an off day which is unusual for him.
They have all the talent but just didn't get going at all. I wonder with a lack of experience and the favourites tag, did they lack a bit of bite that's needed to get over the line. The two Plunkett's look like they have the ability to become really accomplished footballers. I would love to see both of them take more shots on as I think they have a great ability.
I wonder had they thrown in someone like Dooley with 10 mins to go would he have got them over the line - he has the experience to step up when needed.

For Rhode, you just have to admire them but its funny how they were written off.. Anton, Ruairi, Niall Mc are probably still the 3 best attackers in the county. I thought McPadden did well when he came in too. Does anyone know if any of their injured contingent are back for the Leinster championship?

As an aside, I found it notable that the best kick-passers in OCP yesterday was Alan & Niall McNamee. I know the game has changed with defensive structures but I would love to see our players having the confidence to pick out teammates with 40-50m passes, particularly in turnover scenarios.
I've seen several instance of this lack of confidence/skill in clubs across the championship at all levels.

Finally a massive congrats to Super who continues to push on despite the mileage on the clock.

Dodge83
All Star

Post by Dodge83 »

Crinkill Gaa flying the flag for Offaly in the jersey World Cup. Down to the final 9. Give them a vote !!
https://instagram.com/stories/loafofbre ... MyMTA2M2Y=

BiffoInThurso
Intermediate
Club: St Rynaghs

Post by BiffoInThurso »

Alan McNamee the standout midfielder in the final with niall being the top scorer in the championship. there seems to be a dearth of talent in that critical 25-28 age bracket at present. overall quality of the final was very poor and the wider championship was pretty average for the most part with no outstanding talent really standing out. kearns will have much to ponder this next few months.

Bord na Mona man
All Star
Club: Clara

Post by Bord na Mona man »

That was a superb long pass from Alan McNamee for the goal.
The Tullamore screen was set up fine to defend against the ball being worked in. One killer pass turned 4 on 1 into 1 on 1.

Ruari McNamee still had plenty to do, but the moment gets created by the vision and the accuracy of the delivery.
rhode goal.jpg
rhode goal.jpg (306.81 KiB) Viewed 8575 times

SearingDrive
All Star

Post by SearingDrive »

A decisive moment in the game.

Behindthegoal
Junior A
Club: Ballinagar

Post by Behindthegoal »

That’s absolute nonsense, accuracy of delivery? He just thumped it in high from midfield and Maloney caught it? The key play was the dispossession from Ruairi. 99 times out of 100 tullamore come out with that ball the odds were heavily stacked in their favour with the numbers they had around and Maloney’s height and physical advantage over ruairi. Alan is brilliant and deserves plaudits but come on get a grip he launched in a high ball for god sake nothing to be salivating over.

Bord na Mona man
All Star
Club: Clara

Post by Bord na Mona man »

Behindthegoal wrote: Tue Sep 27, 2022 1:05 pm That’s absolute nonsense, accuracy of delivery? He just thumped it in high from midfield and Maloney caught it? The key play was the dispossession from Ruairi. 99 times out of 100 tullamore come out with that ball the odds were heavily stacked in their favour with the numbers they had around and Maloney’s height and physical advantage over ruairi. Alan is brilliant and deserves plaudits but come on get a grip he launched in a high ball for god sake nothing to be salivating over.
Believe what you want. When Rhode got the free Ruairi peeled away from John Maloney and headed towards goal.
When he found space, he put his hand up to call for the ball from Alan.
Maloney then had to scramble back to cover the run. He was in retreat and going backwards when he took the catch.
Taking a catch going backwards and under pressure is nowhere near 99%. He was completely off balance as the ball dropped.

If the delivery doesn't drop in the right area then Tullamore will be able to recover.
Alan McNamee has been delivering that type of ball for years and it's remarkable how often such a 'hit and hope' hoof drops where the Rhode forward wants it and the defence don't like it.

Poleaxehim
Junior C
Club: All

Post by Poleaxehim »

Simple as this.....Tullamore played shite....Rhode played better shite

jimbob17
All Star

Post by jimbob17 »

Bord na Mona man wrote: Tue Sep 27, 2022 2:39 pm
Behindthegoal wrote: Tue Sep 27, 2022 1:05 pm That’s absolute nonsense, accuracy of delivery? He just thumped it in high from midfield and Maloney caught it? The key play was the dispossession from Ruairi. 99 times out of 100 tullamore come out with that ball the odds were heavily stacked in their favour with the numbers they had around and Maloney’s height and physical advantage over ruairi. Alan is brilliant and deserves plaudits but come on get a grip he launched in a high ball for god sake nothing to be salivating over.
Believe what you want. When Rhode got the free Ruairi peeled away from John Maloney and headed towards goal.
When he found space, he put his hand up to call for the ball from Alan.
Maloney then had to scramble back to cover the run. He was in retreat and going backwards when he took the catch.
Taking a catch going backwards and under pressure is nowhere near 99%. He was completely off balance as the ball dropped.

If the delivery doesn't drop in the right area then Tullamore will be able to recover.
Alan McNamee has been delivering that type of ball for years and it's remarkable how often such a 'hit and hope' hoof drops where the Rhode forward wants it and the defence don't like it.
Fully agree. No fluke. Doing it for years into Niall Mc and Paschal Kellaghan before that.
jimbob

bracknaghboy
All Star

Post by bracknaghboy »

Most of the big plays in the Senior A final were the result of kick passing.

- Straight after half time Super won a free and kicked a perfect long pass into Anton who got Rhode off the mark. An important score cos if Tullamore had scored first then they'd have been 3 up. This settled Rhode.

-Super then kicked in a monstrous ball to Ruairi Mc for the all important goal.

-Anton chipped in a lovely long pass straight to Niall's chest for the winning mark with normal time up.

-Finally Nialls cross field free at the end to pick out a Rhode man and deprive Tullamore last chance to level up.

So the game was won with some basic FOOTball.....yes it's called football not handball, well done Rhode.
Tullamore played with fear right from the start and paid the price. They had the wind and like the Offaly seniors this year opted to make no use of it. The Tullamore sideline were screaming at the ref about "time" on the Rhode kickouts yet they were not calling for urgency from their team when they had the ball.

In Saturdays Senior B Final Bracknagh were able to utilise a sprinkling of well placed direct balls into Peter Cunningham although it's easy with someone like him in there as he can win ball even when at a disadvantage when the ball is kicked.
Bottom line is that games can be won with good long kick passing, the constant handpassing needs to be consigned to the bin.

Offalyblueboy
Junior A
Club: Tullamore

Post by Offalyblueboy »

Hearing reports from Edenderry that current Raheens manager R Dalton is been lined up to take over for 23

timber
All Star

Post by timber »

I agree with a lot of the views that the standard was very poor.

The goal was the the major talking point. Aside from there appearing to be a foul which I know both sides will strongly argue for and against the main thing in my view is Tullamore missed a golden opportunity to tap over a point to go ahead near the end and made a few poor errors when it was there to be won.

I was suprised at Tullamore. Throughout the noughties Tullamore teams won finals that probably they should not have when they were the ones getting the all important goal to shift momentum. They always seemed to be a team that ground out results in big games. And now it has flipped that they lost a final they should have won.

They obviously have a huge pick of decent young players coming through from successful underage teams. The future still looks very bright for Tullamore.

Rhode, I have to hand it to them, they get the max out of their parish numbers. Yes they are still very dependent on lads who arguably are past their best but without doubt are still stand out performers. That is a question mark over the standard of football in the county but that is another debate. It amazes me how there is such a good buy in to the club and they seem to get everybody playing football at some grade be it senior or junior adult football. Other clubs with much bigger numbers cant get lads to tog out and play. Its a credit to the club that they have build and maintain such a good footballing culture. And deserve the payback.

Dunga
Junior B

Post by Dunga »

Offalyblueboy wrote: Fri Sep 30, 2022 11:30 am Hearing reports from Edenderry that current Raheens manager R Dalton is been lined up to take over for 23
Interesting appointment if it happens, he has done a solid job with Raheen getting them to successive county finals, albeit Raheen were off the pace in both finals. I feel like Edenderry could seriously challenge next year as they weren't far off this year and were without their man man Cian Farrell.

Edpotter23
Junior C
Club: Raheen

Post by Edpotter23 »

Dalton packed it in with raheen after the final so that’s probably true