Club Football Championship 2022

A forum to air your views on Offaly GAA matters and beyond.
FerbaneInsider
Junior A
Club: Ferbane

Re: Club Football Championship 2022

Post by FerbaneInsider »

Doon Exile wrote: Mon Aug 01, 2022 5:31 pm Was at the Tullamore v Ferbane game. Tullamore probably did just enough to win albeit they were significantly helped by soft goal in the first half at a time they were struggling to get a grip on the game.
Ferbane will rue a number of bad wides but their shot selection was very poor at times. Johnson scored 1-1 but looked well off the pace and seems to be carrying a bit of weight too. He will be especially disappointed with his wide and shot dropped short when game was in melting pot near the end.

Thought Stephen Wren, Bernard Corcoran (first half mainly) and Leon Fox were best for Ferbane. Cathal Flynn came into it a bit in the second half but still wasn’t anywhere near a scoring threat. Darragh Flynn was very disappointing and Joe Maher was guilty of a lot of the aforementioned wides and poor shot selection.

On the Tullamore side, Johnny Moloney was the main man. Thought he was very good throughout. Harry Plunkett did ok and thought Aaron Leavy really came into it when Tullamore needed him.

Real championship edge to it and it was an entertaining game throughout.

Mention to the host Ballycumber for the stewardship and general management of everything and pitch looked in excellent shape.
I think those are unfair comments regarding Johnson, he was the top scorer from play in a game where he was being marked by Offaly’s fullback Declan Hogan and is still recovering from a hamstring issue picked up in the league final. He likely wouldn’t have played yesterday had Ferbane been able to get the win against Cappincur without him.

Doon Exile
All Star

Post by Doon Exile »

FerbaneInsider wrote: Mon Aug 01, 2022 8:27 pm
Doon Exile wrote: Mon Aug 01, 2022 5:31 pm Was at the Tullamore v Ferbane game. Tullamore probably did just enough to win albeit they were significantly helped by soft goal in the first half at a time they were struggling to get a grip on the game.
Ferbane will rue a number of bad wides but their shot selection was very poor at times. Johnson scored 1-1 but looked well off the pace and seems to be carrying a bit of weight too. He will be especially disappointed with his wide and shot dropped short when game was in melting pot near the end.

Thought Stephen Wren, Bernard Corcoran (first half mainly) and Leon Fox were best for Ferbane. Cathal Flynn came into it a bit in the second half but still wasn’t anywhere near a scoring threat. Darragh Flynn was very disappointing and Joe Maher was guilty of a lot of the aforementioned wides and poor shot selection.

On the Tullamore side, Johnny Moloney was the main man. Thought he was very good throughout. Harry Plunkett did ok and thought Aaron Leavy really came into it when Tullamore needed him.

Mention to the host Ballycumber for the stewardship and general management of everything and pitch looked in excellent shape.
I think those are unfair comments regarding Johnson, he was the top scorer from play in a game where he was being marked by Offaly’s fullback Declan Hogan and is still recovering from a hamstring issue picked up in the league final. He likely wouldn’t have played yesterday had Ferbane been able to get the win against Cappincur without him.
Just my view. I did acknowledge that he scored 1-1 but I’d say if you were to talk to CJ today I’d imagine he’d be disappointed himself and it was about the wides/shots dropped short late on that I was referring to. You mentioned that he’s still recovering from his hamstring injury so that might explain him being off the pace a bit.

When ferbane won the senior in 2019 CJ was a massive player for ye and ye need him back to that level to challenge again this year. And to be fair, I didn’t think ye were too far away on Sunday evening.
Doon exile....

Behindthegoal
Junior A
Club: Ballinagar

Post by Behindthegoal »

Doonexile I think you could be eating humble pie in a few weeks time on those comments. He hasn’t trained in a month since the league final and was visibly limping in the second half.Sat out the cappincur game because he thought Ferbane would’ve been good enough to win without him clearly injured yesterday after being out for 18 months his form in the league was actually impressive after such a lay off. If he had been training no doubt he would’ve nailed them shots and easily comes away with 1-3 or 1-4 from play in a low scoring game being marked by Offaly’s best man marker. Ferbane aren’t far off it they have players to come back they’ll be involved in the business end of championship and if he has a big game you’ll be left with egg on your face!

FerbaneInsider
Junior A

Post by FerbaneInsider »

Doon Exile wrote: Mon Aug 01, 2022 8:50 pm
FerbaneInsider wrote: Mon Aug 01, 2022 8:27 pm

Just my view. I did acknowledge that he scored 1-1 but I’d say if you were to talk to CJ today I’d imagine he’d be disappointed himself and it was about the wides/shots dropped short late on that I was referring to. You mentioned that he’s still recovering from his hamstring injury so that might explain him being off the pace a bit.

When ferbane won the senior in 2019 CJ was a massive player for ye and ye need him back to that level to challenge again this year. And to be fair, I didn’t think ye were too far away on Sunday evening.
Of course, every player is disappointed with missed chances when they lose a game but Ferbane’s lack of quality free taker is crucifying them and it showed yesterday where four different players took close range free’s and missed. The hamstring was clearly bothering him yesterday, was unable to even track Hogan on short kickouts because of it.

I agree with you, he needs to be fully fit and they need a couple of others back from injury to win it again this year but they’re closer than they seemed in the first round.

Doon Exile
All Star

Post by Doon Exile »

Behindthegoal wrote: Mon Aug 01, 2022 9:10 pm Doonexile I think you could be eating humble pie in a few weeks time on those comments. He hasn’t trained in a month since the league final and was visibly limping in the second half.Sat out the cappincur game because he thought Ferbane would’ve been good enough to win without him clearly injured yesterday after being out for 18 months his form in the league was actually impressive after such a lay off. If he had been training no doubt he would’ve nailed them shots and easily comes away with 1-3 or 1-4 from play in a low scoring game being marked by Offaly’s best man marker. Ferbane aren’t far off it they have players to come back they’ll be involved in the business end of championship and if he has a big game you’ll be left with egg on your face!
Cool the jets - I was actually shouting for ferbane yesterday and genuinely hope I’m wrong. I’m not close enough to know the inside into how little he’s trained so I’m glad to hear that he’s on the way back. It’s good for Ferbane and Offaly.

Best of luck to ferbane and hope ye bring back the Dowling cup. What’s the update on Oisin Kelly - will he see action soon. Another big player for ye in 2019.
Doon exile....

FerbaneInsider
Junior A

Post by FerbaneInsider »

Doon Exile wrote: Mon Aug 01, 2022 11:00 pm
Behindthegoal wrote: Mon Aug 01, 2022 9:10 pm Doonexile I think you could be eating humble pie in a few weeks time on those comments. He hasn’t trained in a month since the league final and was visibly limping in the second half.Sat out the cappincur game because he thought Ferbane would’ve been good enough to win without him clearly injured yesterday after being out for 18 months his form in the league was actually impressive after such a lay off. If he had been training no doubt he would’ve nailed them shots and easily comes away with 1-3 or 1-4 from play in a low scoring game being marked by Offaly’s best man marker. Ferbane aren’t far off it they have players to come back they’ll be involved in the business end of championship and if he has a big game you’ll be left with egg on your face!
Cool the jets - I was actually shouting for ferbane yesterday and genuinely hope I’m wrong. I’m not close enough to know the inside into how little he’s trained so I’m glad to hear that he’s on the way back. It’s good for Ferbane and Offaly.

Best of luck to ferbane and hope ye bring back the Dowling cup. What’s the update on Oisin Kelly - will he see action soon. Another big player for ye in 2019.
He’s on the way back, I think we’re likely to see him for both Ferbane and Belmont in the knockout stages.

frankthetank
All Star

Post by frankthetank »

Is Cian Johnson the new Niall McNamee?

Lads here getting very excited. As a matter of interest how many inter county senior championship matches has he started for Offaly?

FerbaneInsider
Junior A

Post by FerbaneInsider »

frankthetank wrote: Tue Aug 02, 2022 12:35 am Is Cian Johnson the new Niall McNamee?

Lads here getting very excited. As a matter of interest how many inter county senior championship matches has he started for Offaly?
I think you might be the one getting excited, proclaiming Rhode as the winners after beating a very poor Durrow side that lost to Clara and scraping a win against Edenderry minus Cian Farrell.

You’ll never get over that 2019 final loss will you, Frank. Five in a row dribbled down the drain :lol:

frankthetank
All Star

Post by frankthetank »

FerbaneInsider wrote: Tue Aug 02, 2022 12:49 am
frankthetank wrote: Tue Aug 02, 2022 12:35 am Is Cian Johnson the new Niall McNamee?

I think you might be the one getting excited, proclaiming Rhode as the winners after beating a very poor Durrow side that lost to Clara and scraping a win against Edenderry minus Cian Farrell.

You’ll never get over that 2019 final loss will you, Frank. Five in a row dribbled down the drain :lol:
Excellent grammar and punctuation.

Thankfully.

As, that is incredibly rare here.

frankthetank
All Star

Post by frankthetank »

P.S. I’m not from Rhode.

FerbaneInsider
Junior A

Post by FerbaneInsider »

frankthetank wrote: Tue Aug 02, 2022 12:54 am
FerbaneInsider wrote: Tue Aug 02, 2022 12:49 am

Excellent grammar and punctuation.

Thankfully.

As, that is incredibly rare here.
My apologies, Frank. I wasn’t aware you now work for the grammar and punctuation police.

Which part could you not understand?

Was it the part where I said that you still haven’t gotten over Ferbane winning the 2019 final?

P.S I never said you were from Rhode...

frankthetank
All Star

Post by frankthetank »

To be honest If you think Ferbane’s 1 county final win in 25 years (and still ZERO hurling titles) bothers me.....

FerbaneInsider
Junior A

Post by FerbaneInsider »

frankthetank wrote: Tue Aug 02, 2022 1:42 am To be honest If you think Ferbane’s 1 county final win in 25 years (and still ZERO hurling titles) bothers me.....
It’s actually Belmont in hurling, Mr. Grammar Police.

But if you want to go there, atleast they actually give it a go in both codes and are always in contention which no doubt hampers them. Can you name any other club that has had a Senior A team in both codes consistently over the last decade plus? Not bad going for the pick they have...

Buttons
All Star
Club: Club

Post by Buttons »

Durrow were missing a few players vs Clara through injury and then had a non Covid bug go through the players after training. A simple look at the team vs Clara and rhode and this is evident.

Durrow aren’t going to be county champions but they had nothing to get by beating rhode, beat rhode and lose to edenderry and they are in the relegation final. Beat edenderry only and they will be in QF.

Based on matches seen to date my money is on Cappincur to get relegated, unless Clara get in relegation final and then it will be Clara.

As for champions it’s hard to see past tullamore, remember last year tullamore weren’t firing on all cylinders in the group stage, why would they, even with injuries I can’t see anyone beating them.

italia90
Junior A

Post by italia90 »

I see Rynaghs gave Bracknagh a walkover in senior B. Are they relegated now or does relegation final take place. I'm not sure what ruling is on it.
Predictions for senior games
Tullamore vs Cappincur. Tullamore by 7
Ferbane vs Shamrocks. Ferbane by 2
Rhode vs Clara Rhode by 6
Edenderry vs Durrow. Edenderry by 2