Minors hurlers 2022

A forum to air your views on Offaly GAA matters and beyond.
Anonymous1
All Star

Re: Minors hurlers 2022

Post by Anonymous1 »

Bord na Mona man wrote: Mon Jul 04, 2022 5:20 pm
jimbob17 wrote: Mon Jul 04, 2022 5:02 pm The rule for square ball is that you can not be in the square when the ball is struck. There was no tipp player in square when ball was struck. They followed it in and had the momentum of a run to out jump stationary OY backs who were jumping from standing position. Whatever about moaning about penalty incident, It certainly was not a square ball.
That's the football rule though. Hurling is still operating under the original rule where a player can't be in the square before the ball.
Spot on BordNaMonaMan and if you watch it back, there are clearly two Tipp players in the square before the ball arrives.

Fairplayalways
All Star

Post by Fairplayalways »

I am after looking back at this game again and slowing down the play, no Tipp player was in the square when the ball was being struck from the late free, one or two arrived well after (if you could say that in such fast fashion) the ball was actually struck by the Tipp free taker..as much as I hate saying it, the free we were looking for was minimal contact, and not a trip, it looked like it at the time, but on slow mow the referee was right beside it and actually shook his head as in "no no play on" as the Offaly player came out with the ball, Kavanagh put his hand then in around the Tipp forward hence the free in..should he have let him proceed maybe and see would someone else get to him, possibly in hindsight, but look, it panned out as it did..while the Tipp no. 13 is only a gosoon, the throwing of the hurl was nasty, I know he didnt intend to hit him on the side of the head but he flung it fairly hard so momentum was with it and it looked very nasty, had Robinson took one more step the keeper was gone in under him with his hurl and all he had to do was shovel it over the line from his waist, again all very well saying that now, and I know he got a woefuly clatter on the side of the head on way in too, but lordy me, one more step and he was in...look it is as it is..it was a tremendous game to even watch back again tonight knowing the finish..hopefully its a sign of things to come for us in U20 for starters,,

Anonymous1
All Star

Post by Anonymous1 »

Fairplayalways wrote: Mon Jul 04, 2022 10:22 pm I am after looking back at this game again and slowing down the play, no Tipp player was in the square when the ball was being struck from the late free, one or two arrived well after (if you could say that in such fast fashion) the ball was actually struck by the Tipp free taker..as much as I hate saying it, the free we were looking for was minimal contact, and not a trip, it looked like it at the time, but on slow mow the referee was right beside it and actually shook his head as in "no no play on" as the Offaly player came out with the ball, Kavanagh put his hand then in around the Tipp forward hence the free in..should he have let him proceed maybe and see would someone else get to him, possibly in hindsight, but look, it panned out as it did..while the Tipp no. 13 is only a gosoon, the throwing of the hurl was nasty, I know he didnt intend to hit him on the side of the head but he flung it fairly hard so momentum was with it and it looked very nasty, had Robinson took one more step the keeper was gone in under him with his hurl and all he had to do was shovel it over the line from his waist, again all very well saying that now, and I know he got a woefuly clatter on the side of the head on way in too, but lordy me, one more step and he was in...look it is as it is..it was a tremendous game to even watch back again tonight knowing the finish..hopefully its a sign of things to come for us in U20 for starters,,
I’m not sure if you read the posts above but the offence is not being in the square when the ball is struck, it’s being in the square before the ball arrives which is clearly the case. The ball isn’t even in shot yet here but there are 2 Tipp players in the square..
58F2A8FC-088B-4E3C-BC9B-4A9FCCE18730.jpeg
58F2A8FC-088B-4E3C-BC9B-4A9FCCE18730.jpeg (117.79 KiB) Viewed 6945 times
I also have to disagree with you on the last free, to say it was minimal contact is to be quite honest, a load of nonsense. The Tipp player outstretches his leg underneath Furlong and then hits him with a shoulder into the back, if that’s not a free then I give up.

And on Robinson, he should’ve been awarded a penalty for a deliberate denying of goal-scoring opportunity so it’s unfair to criticise him for not scoring after being hit in the head with a hurl.

Anyway, if you don’t agree with my opinion on that last free or penalty, Brian Gavin does... https://www.irishexaminer.com/opinion/c ... 09913.html

Bord na Mona man
All Star
Club: Clara

Post by Bord na Mona man »

This was the biggie. Shades of Luis Suarez against Ghana or Sean Cavanagh pulling down Conor McManus.
It's not sporting but the odd time it pays off.

If Robinson didn't get a dunt then likely he would have been able take the time to step the keeper and finish.
Offaly 8 up and you'd have to say home and dry.

fifitrixiebelle
All Star

Post by fifitrixiebelle »

Anonymous1 wrote: Mon Jul 04, 2022 11:28 pm

Anyway, if you don’t agree with my opinion on that last free or penalty, Brian Gavin does... https://www.irishexaminer.com/opinion/c ... 09913.html
he says 'If Tipperary had reason to fault him in the first half, Offaly had it in the second.' then spends 3 paragraphs talking about one offaly incident without being able to spot the foul on mccarthy just before it when he was stripped of the ball...and he an inter county ref. id say if it was the other way round hed see it right enough.
funny...he doesnt give us one word on any of the reasons tipp had to fault him :?

Anonymous1
All Star

Post by Anonymous1 »

fifitrixiebelle wrote: Tue Jul 05, 2022 12:33 am

he says 'If Tipperary had reason to fault him in the first half, Offaly had it in the second.' then spends 3 paragraphs talking about one offaly incident without being able to spot the foul on mccarthy just before it when he was stripped of the ball...and he an inter county ref. id say if it was the other way round hed see it right enough.
funny...he doesnt give us one word on any of the reasons tipp had to fault him :?
Imagine being from Tipperary and being so obsessed with Offaly that you’ve spent the last 12 years coming onto this forum to sling mud, obviously have nothing better to do with your life...

fifitrixiebelle
All Star

Anonymous1 wrote: Tue Jul 05, 2022 1:11 am

Imagine being from Tipperary and being so obsessed with Offaly that you’ve spent the last 12 years coming onto this forum to sling mud, obviously have nothing better to do with your life...
imagine not being able to answer a point made or make one yourself….just talk sh1te. why bother?

Anonymous1
All Star

Post by Anonymous1 »

fifitrixiebelle wrote: Tue Jul 05, 2022 1:21 am

imagine not being able to answer a point made or make one yourself….just talk sh1te. why bother?
So you’re confirming you’re a Tipperary fan that’s obsessed with Offaly. It must be terrible to be so bitter about another county, what did we ever do to ye :lol:

fifitrixiebelle
All Star

Anonymous1 wrote: Tue Jul 05, 2022 1:26 am

So you’re confirming you’re a Tipperary fan that’s obsessed with Offaly. It must be terrible to be so bitter about another county, what did we ever do to ye :lol:
clearly the points i made have set you off as you dont seem to be able to deal with them
either that or your just a loony :D :D

Anonymous1
All Star

Post by Anonymous1 »

fifitrixiebelle wrote: Tue Jul 05, 2022 1:31 am

clearly the points i made have set you off as you dont seem to be able to deal with them
You didn’t make any points, just moaned about an article in the examiner. Write a letter to the editor if you have an issue but instead you’re up at nearly 2am on an Offaly forum talking shite.

fifitrixiebelle
All Star

Anonymous1 wrote: Tue Jul 05, 2022 1:36 am

You didn’t make any points, just moaned about an article in the examiner. Write a letter to the editor if you have an issue but instead you’re up at nearly 2am on an Offaly forum talking shite.
missed too many english classes? i made three points 1. he talks of both being hard done by the ref but then only talks about one incident 2. he goes on at length about that single incident 3. he ignores the foul before it which was a tipp free in anyway & negates his whole whinge

always happy to help the hard of understanding…

Anonymous1
All Star

Post by Anonymous1 »

fifitrixiebelle wrote: Tue Jul 05, 2022 1:49 am
Anonymous1 wrote: Tue Jul 05, 2022 1:36 am

missed too many english classes? i made three points 1. he talks of both being hard done by the ref but then only talks about one incident 2. he goes on at length about that single incident 3. he ignores the foul before it which was a tipp free in anyway & negates his whole whinge

always happy to help the hard of understanding…
I missed english class yet you aren’t using capital letters at the beginning of sentences, aren’t using capital letters when referring to yourself as “I” and aren’t using full stops? Give me a break...

If you actually read the article you’d notice he didn’t say both teams were hard done by, he said “If Tipperary had reason to fault him in the first half, Offaly had it in the second.” If you hadn’t missed too many english classes you might understand his use of the word “If” in that sentence.

Again, if you actually read the article you’d see that he mentions two incidents not one as you keep suggesting.

Finally, there was “no foul before that” and nobody appealed for at the time nor has appealed for it since except for you because you want something to moan about at 2am...

Put that in your pipe and smoke it.

Fairplayalways
All Star

Post by Fairplayalways »

Fairplayalways wrote: Mon Jul 04, 2022 10:22 pm I am after looking back at this game again and slowing down the play, no Tipp player was in the square when the ball was being struck from the late free, one or two arrived well after (if you could say that in such fast fashion) the ball was actually struck by the Tipp free taker..as much as I hate saying it, the free we were looking for was minimal contact, and not a trip, it looked like it at the time, but on slow mow the referee was right beside it and actually shook his head as in "no no play on" as the Offaly player came out with the ball, Kavanagh put his hand then in around the Tipp forward hence the free in..should he have let him proceed maybe and see would someone else get to him, possibly in hindsight, but look, it panned out as it did..while the Tipp no. 13 is only a gosoon, the throwing of the hurl was nasty, I know he didnt intend to hit him on the side of the head but he flung it fairly hard so momentum was with it and it looked very nasty, had Robinson took one more step the keeper was gone in under him with his hurl and all he had to do was shovel it over the line from his waist, again all very well saying that now, and I know he got a woefuly clatter on the side of the head on way in too, but lordy me, one more step and he was in...look it is as it is..it was a tremendous game to even watch back again tonight knowing the finish..hopefully its a sign of things to come for us in U20 for starters,,
I’m not sure if you read the posts above but the offence is not being in the square when the ball is struck, it’s being in the square before the ball arrives which is clearly the case. The ball isn’t even in shot yet here but there are 2 Tipp players in the square..58F2A8FC-088B-4E3C-BC9B-4A9FCCE18730.jpeg

I also have to disagree with you on the last free, to say it was minimal contact is to be quite honest, a load of nonsense. The Tipp player outstretches his leg underneath Furlong and then hits him with a shoulder into the back, if that’s not a free then I give up.

And on Robinson, he should’ve been awarded a penalty for a deliberate denying of goal-scoring opportunity so it’s unfair to criticise him for not scoring after being hit in the head with a hurl.

Wojldnt say me or anyone here is talkinng "nonesense"..again just my oppinion (in cold light of day)....lets just debate it..your stills above, what are the players moving towards and looking up at in the stills if the ball has not arrived..by that logic they would be out at the 14 yd line if they continued their momentum with the positions they are in the stills above..I hear every debate and suggestion, above and below are just mine. ..as for the contact in what we all think should have been and Offaly free, yes, I have seen them given, but have seen them not given too, not just a critical junctures of games but through out, it looked live like he did trip him, I am leaning towards he bodychecked him (lead slightly with the leg as opposed to the foot) and it was enough to send the Offaly player down but I honestly think the ref didnt see enough in it, unfortunately for us and the ref a follow up foul occurred from Offaly within seconds, and that exploded our earlier call for a free out, the goal came and the rest is history. Ref shook his head instantly beside the falling Offaly player that it was no free, so he have to afford him that he was sure there and then.
I am not "criticizing" Robinson for not scoring, he done well to stay going after the belt he got, if he could have managed to go another step (easy to say that I know and he was in live play with a belt to the ear or where ever) but had he managed to take one more step the keeper was gone right in under him and the ball would have found its way to the net..but I am qualifying that clearly in hindsight and never criticized the chap at all nor wouldnt.

Brian Gavin a great referee but the sort that would have let alot go in Sundays game too, Kilkenny have an All Ireland or 2 (or a few semi final wins) where Brian Gavin let too much go too, once the GAA tightened up on rules then Kilkenny had players sent off and success leaned off...accept he is more qualified than me and possibly you but he did let alot go too and being populist letting the game "flow" needs to be balanced with lads getting away with murder..Tommy Walsh poking the hurl at was it Bubble Dwyer and hitting Gavin on the nose, and Gavin said (in jest I might add) he didnt send him off as he wasnt aiming at him and gave a yellow card..so he technically didnt do everything by the book either...look Sunday is one of those days we could debate until the cows come home, we never really put Tipp away when we were on top...and looking back at the game last night, Tipp as bad as they played, kept within arms reach, dug out some great scores too to be honest to keep in it..we were doomed at the finish unfortunately..

Bord na Mona man
All Star
Club: Clara

Post by Bord na Mona man »

Lads and lassies,
we can argue all day about various calls, but marginal square ball offences don't get penalised.
Even blatant ones usually get missed.

On another note, I saw Eddie Brennan live tweeted that Corbett shouldn't be getting a red for throwing the stick.
Don't be expecting hurling matches to be suddenly tightly policed without blowback from certain vested interests.

Forget it, Jake, it's Chinatown!

Fairplayalways
All Star

Post by Fairplayalways »

and that is the crux of it..if its anyway marginal, you can be lucky to get them, or unlucky to be awarded against you..unfortunately the ship has sailed as regards Sunday..